Memories

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Memories

Postby SMP » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:09 pm

A bloke from work went on a trip with some friends to Mt Skene (Vic) last weekend and said that when they got to the top there were approx 70 4WD'S parked up there. I know times change but I am able to think back to the area in the mid seventies with my parents and later in the late eighties with my wife. We used to drive and old Landy we had converted to a camper up to the snow line, stay the night and then ski to the summit. At that stage there was no-one else up there, only animal tracks in the snow. Sometime in the early nineties some people calling them selves the Jamieson Ski Club built a hut on a spur to the north of the summit. It quickly found it's way onto maps and became a 4WD destination. As a result the snowy plain that had to be crossed was desimated and a war between 4WD'S and the DSE began one trying to restrict access the other demanding it. At some stage the hut burnt down. I,m glad I have the memories of something that cannot return to the way it was and I guess I should consider myself lucky that I have that. There must be a thousand places like this in eoples experience. I don't want to dwell on the negatives but there must be some greta memories out there. Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:42 pm

I agree there are so many places that have changed. Some call it progress?
And others just roll their eyes and look at you and mutter about old farts :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Newnes

Postby Hissy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:36 am

Like you I have the same great memories. Lucky I still have a memory and the old zimers has not kicked in yet.

When I was a kid we camped at Newnes, NSW out from Lithgow.
We spent weeks exploring the old ruins and walking back and forth to Glen Davis.

Collecting coal out of the river to use on the fire and being scared to death when a red belly came swimming towards you when out swimming.

Or having to get a tractor to tow the Falcon back across the flooded river so the kids could return to school, whilst some parents stayed behind a few more days till they could drive home when the flood waters dropped.

That was when the pub was still a pub and it still sold alcohol. Before it was moved to the other side of the road and lost its licence.

There was a happy medium, the bikies used to come away for weekends out there which kept the 4x4 hones away. (Not saying all 4x4's are hones). I have had one my self. The bikies left and it became more popular with the trail bike and 4x4 crowds.

We used to be able to drive all over the place and camp as far up as the old police station and garage.

Then the tracks were washed out NP decided not to allow repair work.

Last time I was there it seemed to have lost its appeal to me. All camped shoulder to shoulder, 4x4 to 4x4.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby SMP » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:47 pm

Hissy, (as in fit????) I'm not sure if I said so but I have a 4WD as well. What stands me apart from the bulk of owners is that mine is a means to an end. That is access to a remote uncrowded camping spot. Like you I was lucky enough to have enjoyed camping before the, what could you say 4WD invasion of the Australian bush which seems to be for the purpose of the drive rather than the destination. But for us older folk who were camping in the sixties and before we are lucky to have experienced something that cannot be regained and for that I am very thankfull. I am on the verge (in a couple of years) to being able to go camping mid week and outside school holidays. Even places that are well used at other times are generally empty then. Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Return to General Chit-Chat