Tear Drop Trailer

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Tear Drop Trailer

Postby Komodo » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:29 pm

Guys,

As many of you know when i first joined this site I was keen on a proper camper trailer - and building it myself.

We'll plans change and Now im looking at a tear drop trailer/camper.

Main reasons are - lighter than an off road camper trailer, instant setup, hard cover overhead in case of seriously bad weather and last but not least THEY LOOK COOL!!!!

My figuring is that Kel and I comfortably sleep in a 4 person Dome tent with plenty of room around us. However Dome tents being Dome tents they are a PITA to setup and pack up quickly and without making a filthy mess if its been wet (or damp for that matter). The other thing is when we were travelling to WA we spent more time packing up the tent than doing ANYTHING. And it caused more stress than anything (the only thing we fought about even after travelling in the car some days for 12+ hours was setting up / packing up the tent the whole trip.

The other thing is that a tear drop also gives us a comfortable place to rest our heads cause the bed can remain setup all the time and we can fit it with a proper matteress!!!!

So Im looking to build one now.

So any tips?
or any advice on how to or not to build one or reasons why not to build one?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby SMP » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:47 pm

What is a Tear Drop Trailer. Like a permanantly set up little van or something like a T VAN? Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby CCC » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:59 pm

http://www.trikesaustralia.com/teardrop ... rdrops.htm

they look cute but a little small.
were you thinking of a tarp or something over the doorway for weather protection when getting in and out?

they would be fine if your not staying in the one place for too long
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby AussieSunset » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:49 am

Wow i thought they were just little brittish trailers lol. I want one !!!! I think i will have to do some conning to get my son to build one and send it up here from SA. :***
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Komodo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:53 am

a TVAN takes the teardrop to a whole new level (and a whole new price braket!)

Hadn't thought about the tarp over the door way - not a bad idea though. these are the things I'll have to sus out when (if) building it.

They are small but the reality is that 90% of the time Kel and I spend 2 nights max in any one spot so this would essentially make it easier.

I was going to build a trailer and keep all my gear in that much like Jeeps has done but I think for me this would work just that little bit better again.

The main kitchen bench stays "setup" in the tear drop but is still outside which is a VERY good thing as far as Kel and I are concerned.

If we are staying in one spot more than a couple of days a full fly over tarp setup could be used to give more "dry" area and for the over nighters a roll out awning (or 2) would work perfectly - especially if i get one with a side as well.

Basially it only has to work as a "hard" tent on wheels
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:00 am

I think you could come unstuck with one of those particularly if you take them offroad ... even a dirt road. Essentially it's a caravan, albeit a small one. There seems to be very little opportunity for annexes, awnings etc.

You have a good fourbie and what it needs is a good CT.

I really think you'll come unstuck with that ... as a matter of itnerest have you seen one offroad?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:30 pm

True Scol

I have seen a few of these tear drop trailers out and about off road - essentially the T-Van is a form of tear drop trailer.

I would love a camper trailer - but I feel that its a lot of $ to spend and the most expencive part for me would be the canvas work if i was to build one myself.
Also a camper requires more clear area to setup.

Realistically I think the teardrop style trailer would be more suited to bitumen & soft off road travel. Quick setup (hand brake on - get in - sleep) and compact size and light weight.
A true off road trailer is quite heavy - especially when you start adding water, batteries, heavy duty (14oz) canvas etc. and you cant take them across the simpson for example - in which case your back to a touring tent or swags.

Realistically nothing will probably eventuate - but i can dream :P
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:37 pm

Komodo wrote:True Scol

I have seen a few of these tear drop trailers out and about off road - essentially the T-Van is a form of tear drop trailer.

Yeah BUT the T Van is a lot more intricate ... as well as expensive!

Komodo wrote:I would love a camper trailer - but I feel that its a lot of $ to spend and the most expencive part for me would be the canvas work if i was to build one myself.
Also a camper requires more clear area to setup.

Yes and no.

If you want a soft floor (or now floor for that matter) they are fairly inexpensive. I'm about to sell mine and will put it up here for you to see (late tomorrow should be here). It's half the price of the tear drop but does take a fair bit of space (so you have a point there) BUT you don't have to put the whole lot up if you are spendng just one night and then moving on.

Komodo wrote:
Realistically I think the teardrop style trailer would be more suited to bitumen & soft off road travel. Quick setup (hand brake on - get in - sleep) and compact size and light weight.

Again ... the one I ahve for sale takes 10 mins to set ... less if you have a good partner ... 8)

Komodo wrote:A true off road trailer is quite heavy - especially when you start adding water, batteries, heavy duty (14oz) canvas etc. and you cant take them across the simpson for example - in which case your back to a touring tent or swags.

Nup ... mine is 300kg's ... 600kg's max with ALL your toys ... :armsup ... BUT I would say that with the one I am putting up for sale some coils wouldn't go astray but again ... I've seen CT's make it all the way up Cape York and back without a prob.

Komodo wrote:Realistically nothing will probably eventuate - but i can dream :P

Wanna come to Hervey Bay and check out the CT I ahve for sale?

I'll post pics over the weekend.

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to General Chit-Chat