Helpful Info When Camping With Kids

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Helpful Info When Camping With Kids

Postby waltzingmatilda » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Taking your kids camping is a great experience for them and as parents.

If your kids are uneasy at the idea of sleeping outdoors the first time, set the tent up in the backyard where they feel secure and they will get used to outside sounds and make it an adventure.

Kids love adventure, there’s no better place than better out in the great outdoors with fresh air and nature. They will come home with a better understanding nature and wildlife.
Young kids can be a lot of work but it sure is worth it, their face lights up when they see something new and exciting.

Take plenty of photos; they may not remember, at least you can show them. Take some close ups of them fishing, setting up the tents, cooking marshmallows on the campfire and any other activity they love to do.

At night shine a torch up into the trees, some eyes might shine back, if you’re lucky a few animals may come in close looking for scraps.
Kids love playing with glow sticks or torches at night.

Let kids be kids, let the adventure begin. Go for a walk around your camp let them discover their new surroundings where ever you may be.

Later in the day let them help set up a safe campfire providing you can have one.
Remind them that all litter gets picked up and disposed of properly.

Show them how to do jobs around the camp that they are capable of doing, they could setup their bed the way they would like it to be.
It’s a good idea to bring a few familiar toys & books so they can have with them when they go to bed or need comforting.

You could bring a new game or pack of cards, coloring book pencils etc. if they need distracting at some stage

Always watch them near any pool, creek, river or any water source. Water is always an attraction.

Kids soon make friends with other camping kids, take a ball game they can all play.
You may have room to take a bicycle, remember the helmet.
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Postby CCC » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:54 pm

great advice waltzingmatilda

and welcome to the site
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:02 pm

People worry about taking kids camping and how they will handle it, but they are better at it than adults. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby jomatt » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:33 pm

How true. All four of our kids love camping. Often they all bring a friend each and our fellow campers are left wondering if they all belong to us. Last school holidays we went to a NSW national park. Our five year old took photos for news when she went back to school of wombats, kangaroos, possums, goannas etc. She hasnt stopped asking when our next trip will be. Beats seeing them stuck in front of TV or computer games all day.
Nothing like camping with four kids and a husband!
jomatt
Boy Scout

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:38 pm

Troyk wrote:People worry about taking kids camping and how they will handle it, but they are better at it than adults. :grin:

Got to agree with you there. My three kids camped right from when they were babies. Even had one of those fold up playpens for night time.

Kids love camping.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby AussieSunset » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:16 am

My four loved it and I grew up camping every weekend and school holidays. Dad always said it was cheaper to take us camping than to stay at home. I found that out too with my four and personally I think it allows kids to be kids instead of them sitting watching the box be it computer or tv. Kids make friends no matter were they go... mine had an inbuilt radar as soon as we pulled into any camp site. :***
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby SMP » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:43 pm

I was brought up camping in the bush and so have my kids. I have just been away for a couple of days at the persistance of my nearly 18 year old daughter, and a lot of the fireside conversation was on the next generation. She is already planning camping trips with us and her not yet existant children. I think it is just fantastic. Our future looks rosey. Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby waltzingmatilda » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:54 am

Thanks for your replys everyone, we have just been on a trip from vic to Fraser Island and back, our kids loved it. Keep on Camping!!
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Postby mytribe » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:56 am

My lot love camping so much that inbetween trips they'll set the tent up in the backyard and have a pretend campout :***
Me,DH and 6 freeloading midgets..plus the furry animals
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:58 pm

waltzingmatilda wrote:Thanks for your replys everyone, we have just been on a trip from vic to Fraser Island and back, our kids loved it. Keep on Camping!!

So it was YOU with the victorian rego driving around Hervey Bay ... 8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:44 pm

Scolers wrote:
waltzingmatilda wrote:Thanks for your replys everyone, we have just been on a trip from vic to Fraser Island and back, our kids loved it. Keep on Camping!!

So it was YOU with the victorian rego driving around Hervey Bay ... 8)

Scol.

Buwahahahaha isn't HB made up of Victorians :--? Oh and a West Aus family :grin:

After being on a 6800km trip I would say that 80% of the cars on the roads wore Vic plates is there anyone left in Victoria? According to the map it is not much bigger than an outback station :lol:
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Troyk » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:59 pm

Kramer wrote:Buwahahahaha isn't HB made up of Victorians :--? Oh and a West Aus family :grin:

A HB politician once said HB is full of newly weds and nearly deads! ::()
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Scolers » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:42 pm

Troyk wrote:
Kramer wrote:Buwahahahaha isn't HB made up of Victorians :--? Oh and a West Aus family :grin:

A HB politician once said HB is full of newly weds and nearly deads! ::()

Yeah ... the media got hold of that too ... geez he copped it!

Actually the avergae age has fallen to 55 ... another ten years to go for me!

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to General Chit-Chat