Vote ~ Australian Fishing And Lifestyle Party For The Senate

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby Fonty » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:50 am

That's certainly not the information I have been given jollyroger. I have been told my obligations are ONLY to get my name ticked off. I have been doing this for many years and refusing to take the ballot papers at all. I enter the polling booth, get ticked off then tell them I'm not voting. It's my big protest. ha ha

So far I've not been fined for doing this nor (dammit, lol) has anyone threatened to remove my name from the Roll. As far as I know from researching it and from my Year 12 Politics these were the rules as they stood at least still in 1990 unless they have changed since then.

Andrew.

I will mention this is a wonderful society we live in and Australia is definitely the Lucky Country. Our political system is just a joy to experience and I encourage nobody to follow my poor example stated above. In fact I heartily endorse the Australian Government's Right to make the general public ASSUME they have to vote. All politicians do, after all, have our best interests at heart that is why they are voted for in the first place. :grin:
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby jollyroger » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:59 am

I came to Australia in 1976 with my family from Ireland. When I was legal to vote I went in filled out the form and they processed me and said all was fine. I have moved house six times whilst of legal age to vote and changed my details according to law. All was fine!

We bought a new house this year and did the right thing changed address. Only to be contacted by the AEC that I was not legally able to vote. It comes down to an interpretation of the law and who is right. If you came to Australia prior to 1984 you do not have to become an Australian citizen, you can still be called a resident, pay tax and vote.
Now they are saying you needed to have been 18 prior to 1984 to vote. So I have been voting all these years illegally or so it seems. For 22 years all has been honkey dory. I have all the papaer work from when I was 18 and have presented it to them where they OK'd it all did a background check into our stauts as "migrant residents".

I'm not loosing any sleep over it. But it does bug me watching this election and not having a voice (vote).
Hopefully it will be rectified after the current election.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby jollyroger » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:02 pm

Fonty!

That infor was from the South Australian head of the AEC. I work in Radio and he said that on air. I asked him afterwrds and he confirmed it again. It shicked a lot of people. He did go on to say it's not policed and they are not *SPAM* about it. As long as people have the name crossed off they are happy. They do not want to create a police state mentality at the polls.

But it is true!
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Fonty » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:24 pm

Well there you go. It's a sad thought, you want your say and don't have it, I don't want to be forced into making any decision, especially one so important, against my will. And yet I am forced to do it and you aren't allowed to. Nice little irony there. :?
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Scolers » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:01 am

jollyroger wrote:I came to Australia in 1976 with my family from Ireland. When I was legal to vote I went in filled out the form and they processed me and said all was fine. I have moved house six times whilst of legal age to vote and changed my details according to law. All was fine!

We bought a new house this year and did the right thing changed address. Only to be contacted by the AEC that I was not legally able to vote. It comes down to an interpretation of the law and who is right. If you came to Australia prior to 1984 you do not have to become an Australian citizen, you can still be called a resident, pay tax and vote.
Now they are saying you needed to have been 18 prior to 1984 to vote. So I have been voting all these years illegally or so it seems. For 22 years all has been honkey dory. I have all the papaer work from when I was 18 and have presented it to them where they OK'd it all did a background check into our stauts as "migrant residents".

I'm not loosing any sleep over it. But it does bug me watching this election and not having a voice (vote).
Hopefully it will be rectified after the current election.

Geez ... that IS poor form ... I must only just sneak in tho' as I would have been 19 in 1984 ... phew! I wonder if you could claim some sort of 'discrimination' gien that you have voted in the past ... let's face it ... they'd fine you if you didn't vote (although not too many ppl cop a fine).

Beauracracy ... you can't beat it ... :shock:

Oh! And don;t forget the AEC commissioner will only tell you the 'rules' ... not how they can be bent ... :?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat