Do you drink river water?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Do you drink river water?

Postby jomatt » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:57 pm

When we last went away, my very intelligent ( sarcasm) husband and I had a disagreement about river water. He believes that you can drink water from a river so long as it is flowing. I still boiled it prior to drinking! He didnt end up sick but i still have reservations. Do others drink from rivers?
Nothing like camping with four kids and a husband!
jomatt
Boy Scout

Postby Fonty » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:04 pm

Of course jomatt! That's one of the joys of camping, drinking pure fresh water straight from rivers. So long as the stream comes straight from the source without passing through towns that would let polluted run off water into them there would be no problem. And with larger rivers even that wouldn't even be as much of a problem.

River water is meant to be drunk, enjoy it. :)
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:15 pm

I recall that story about drinking from a flowing stream until one day after a drink I walked upstream to find a very dead cow with maggots floating downstream from it.

Yep, boil it. :grin:
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:05 pm

I'd be happy to drink it so lo as I knew of its source.

Derek, you got a bargain, pure river water AND protein!

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:18 pm

:bunny Rather get my protein from chocolate. :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby jasonb » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:52 pm

lol .thats all weve got were i live as it pumps from the river to tanks then into the house ,,,,,nothin better :?# but when were camping i make drinks for the kids and i drink the river water ,,,
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:27 pm

Having undertaken plenty of SPAMER of raw water into water treatment plants, and remebering that 95% of water pollution comes from rural areas, I would BOIL IT! Don't Risk it. I would be looking to take water from home first though. :beer
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Fonty » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:22 pm

lol looks like I'm outvoted. Having said that the rivers and creeks I've drunk from in the past are usually in the mountains and pretty much within coo-ee of their source. So I can usually be pretty sure of their safety. And their taste is something to be believed, you're missing out big time if you avoid them or boil them. Rather seek out the untainted rivers and enjoy them to the full.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:15 pm

If your worried about a dead animal with maggots in your water you'd better stop drinking tap water cause I guarantee there's worse in that :lol:

I had a similar experience, but was a rotten out kangaroo further up stream. Drank out of a fast flowing section, never got sick. Drank outta streams in the Royal national park in Sydney even.

One river I WONT drink out of is the Murrumbidgee (although the towns water ultimately comes from there) :shock: Went for a swim in it on friday and that was bad enough, brown, can't see more than 1ft down, and the shallows has cow pies scattered around. Surprised we didn't get sick from just swimming in it. Prolly won't do that again. :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Art » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:08 pm

Yeah, generally the higher you go the safer, and don't bother drinking unless it's running,
you can't beat the taste!

I guess there's always the possibility of someone who climbs that much higher than
you, and enjoys urinating in a running stream!
"Boy Scout" my Ass, I Climb Mountains Baby!
Art
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:26 pm

When I walked to the top of Kosciusko earlier this year there were signs warning people about drinking from the streams. Can't get much higher than that. :grin:
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Barby-Q » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:18 pm

Our lad lockie 7 decided to drink the water from the creek on Saturday and wasn't very well on Sunday, later on they came back to camp and said someone else has been sick in the water and they were not going swimming any more . I'd take my own water for drinking just to be sure.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby Komodo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:17 pm

The only thing I use river water for is for cleaning. Get a bucket of the stuff and take it back to camp boil it and use it for dishes etc. Other than that I use water I take with me. Dead animals, 1080 poison bait, pesticides, other peoples waste etc could be in the stream. Not to mention the fact that with the drought that alot of this country has been experiancing theres a lot of algae about also
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:03 pm

If you live in Melbourne you are pretty much drinking river water after a bit of chlorination and pH correction.

The the dam catchment is deemed closed and hence only requires only "minimal" treatment.

Call me old fashioned but I like a bit of filtration, but hey I don't hear many complaining about it.

So Fonty, you are drinking untarnished (expcet for the chlorine) river water every day. :grin:

Melbourne Water Link
http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/water/water_quality_and_treatment/water_quality_and_treatment.asp?bhcp=1
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Fonty » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:15 pm

lol Troy not me. :p I was drinking filtered water till I found out my cheap filter didn't removed the fluoride. Now I buy pure water in a ten litre cask for a 6 or 7 bucks. Tap water is what's evil, I stay clear of the stuff! Ever since they started putting that crap in the water most housewives soon learned they needed to get distilled water for their irons so they wouldn't fall to bits, but were happy to keep drinking the stuff themselves. Go figure.

And the stains! How can people think it's normal to drink something that stains any container you put it in dark brown? Eeek.

I'm sure this is far better for us. ----> :beer As long as it's Vegan of course. :armsup
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Return to General Chit-Chat