Inflatable Boats for Kids

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Inflatable Boats for Kids

Postby amanda » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:16 pm

I was wanting to get an inflatable boat each for Christmas for kids aged 9, 10 and 11. We mostly camp by water and as they are all absolute water babies I thought the boats would keep them well entertained. Does anyone's kids have these? Are they any good, and if so what should I be looking for to get good ones?
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Barby-Q » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:15 pm

They are hard to paddle in a straight line , they tend to go around in circles . Our kids got sick of it real quick .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby Fonty » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:16 pm

I bought a four person inflatable Bestway Marine boat for about $120 on special from Bunnings earlier this year. And I think they even went down cheaper than that. You have to get a pump to inflate in on top of that of course, and the oars, so it ended up just over $200 which is pretty good value. I've only taken it out once so far but it went fine when we did.

I would have had it out more but it does take up a bit of room and the laser wasn't the biggest car I've ever had. I hope to remedy that problem very soon though hopefully.

Andrew.
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Re: Inflatable Boats for Kids

Postby cumminscampers » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:31 pm

amanda wrote:I was wanting to get an inflatable boat each for Christmas for kids aged 9, 10 and 11. We mostly camp by water and as they are all absolute water babies I thought the boats would keep them well entertained. Does anyone's kids have these? Are they any good, and if so what should I be looking for to get good ones?

Hello Amanda.
We have 3 girls aged 10 & 12, we have inflatable canoes we got cheap off ebay. They absolutly love them. They wear life jackets when they are in the canoes. Highly recommend them as they have so much fun in them.
If it is windy they are a little harder to control but a little more effort wears them out even more. (a little more peace for us parents when they go to bed earlier).
Hope this helps
Anthony
cumminscampers
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:48 pm

Had a day trip with some friends who had kids at the colo river last summer, so I went to a tire shop and asked for some old truck tubes.

reminds me of that master card add, watching the kid play with a cardboard box instead of $100 toys :lol:

Anyway, they where a hit and the only problem was I didn't get enough so the kids where fighting over them. Their tuffer than the cheap boats too, and will most likely cost you nothing if you ask nice.

But I spose a tire tube won't make the best pressie :***
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby amanda » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:15 am

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of the canoe shaped ones, I might try those out. Sounds a bit better than going around in circles like poor BarbyQ's kids! And I like Ozzy's idea even better as far as cost goes, but don't think I could really wrap up a few old tyres and stick ithem under the tree for Christmas!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Barby-Q » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:13 am

TuBes are the way to go, you could visit wet and wild with a big bag . or clark rubber.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:34 pm

The latest catelogue from Aldi has a canoe with paddles for $69 and a boat for $59. On sale from Thursday. You would need to get PDF's for the kids.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:19 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:The latest catelogue from Aldi has a canoe with paddles for $69 and a boat for $59. On sale from Thursday. You would need to get PDF's for the kids.

I have.... well, HAD one of them :lol:
Are they inflatable ones? If so they will prolly be the same as mine. Just seemed poorly designed, and I left it in a shed, came back a month later with holes all over... damn rats :shock:
Not bad value I spose but you get what you pay for. For a kids toy I'd say go for it. You could at least steer it although the paddles where a bit flimsy.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:47 pm

We have 2 kids ones 6 & other is 9. We have have have 2 different blow up boats over the last 2 years and find that they just get holes in them. We have purchased them for $30 for the first ones and then $60 for the last ones. Im with you Ozzy, the good old tyre tubes last and last and the boys have a great time. If you can get your hands on a truck tyre they are great. Just make sure you cover the steel valve with tape.
Cheers,
Chick
It's all about Beer, Hubbie, Fishing, Camping, Kids & Boating.. Oh and Me
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Return to General Chit-Chat