camp trailer storage

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

camp trailer storage

Postby RYAINS » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:57 pm

Hi everyone….. AGAIN
I know I'm hogging the forum and the limelight here but I need help with another dilemma.

I now need extra storage for my new camp kitchen that I have built and also a tool box that came with my camp trailer, and I'd like to be able to incorporate a 55L camp fridge. My idea looks something like the pictures I've posted below. I have an extended draw bar for my camp trailer and would like something I could protect and cover my camp fridge (when i get one) and something I could slip the camp kitchen into when transporting/not using it and be able to lock it and protect it from the weather

1. Does anyone know what this set up would cost me roughly?
2. Where would I find a really good place in the Sydney area to do this type of work - or does anybody have a better idea for me :?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Can't wait for next summer!.... or a camp trailer :-)
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:59 am

Well come up with an hourly rate - lets guestimate $60 per hour

10mins per meter to weld
10mins per meter to mark out and cut
Folding 15mins per fold to mark and brake press

plus material and administration costs

I wouldnt expect to see much change out of 800 - 1100 bucks depending on final fittings
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby jollyroger » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:26 pm

There's a lot of weight on the draw bar especially if you put all that including a 55ltr fridge. Will you get away with that weight? Will it be legal?

I assume you have the spare tyre on there as well? Are you able to put the fridge inside the CT on a slide system?

I know I am maxed out weight wise without having a fridge and a tool box on the front. I wish I had a tool box too!
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby RYAINS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:55 pm

Komodo wrote:Well come up with an hourly rate - lets guestimate $60 per hour

10mins per meter to weld
10mins per meter to mark out and cut
Folding 15mins per fold to mark and brake press

plus material and administration costs

I wouldnt expect to see much change out of 800 - 1100 bucks depending on final fittings

Komodo, you're a genius! I rang a local bloke today and told him what I wanted, the rough measurements and all, he said to me I wouldn't get much change from $1000
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby RYAINS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:59 pm

jollyroger wrote:There's a lot of weight on the draw bar especially if you put all that including a 55ltr fridge. Will you get away with that weight? Will it be legal?

I assume you have the spare tyre on there as well? Are you able to put the fridge inside the CT on a slide system?

I know I am maxed out weight wise without having a fridge and a tool box on the front. I wish I had a tool box too!

Actually I rang the manufacturer yesterday and explained to him what I wanted to do, he said he didn't like no more that 60kg on his draw bar..... I might flick the idea altogether.

It would be good to see some pictures of others camp trailers and their storgae ideas
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:52 pm

RYAINS wrote:Komodo, you're a genius! I rang a local bloke today and told him what I wanted, the rough measurements and all, he said to me I wouldn't get much change from $1000

I'd hope I was close :P I work in the steel industry (admittedly heavy structural though) and part of my possitions responsibility involves estimating.

We dont do any of that type of work - we sub that out.

can you post a pic of the trailer I might have an idea but i dont know if it would work without a pic
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby jollyroger » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:52 pm

My theory is if doesn't fit in the car or the trailer it stays home. I am but a simple man. We tie the kids bikes to the top of the trailer and sometimes the 80litre esky to the front draw bar where the spare tyre is. That is usually a last resort.

Ill try get some shots for you.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Return to General Chit-Chat