Australia Day Weekend 2008

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Australia Day Weekend 2008

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:11 am

Does anyone have any ideas/plans for Aust Day Weekend that you might like to share with the group??

I know I am going camping (as I do at every opportunity) but have no idea where at this stage for Aust Day weekend. From the govt website it seems that Monday 28 January will be the public holiday in 2008.

So as you can guess I am looking for ideas. Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Kramer » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:20 am

No camping I don't think for me, If i do go camping though might head to one of the islands near here I will need radio reception to listen to Triple J's hottest 100. We usually have a hottest 100 party on Australia day :armsup
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby amanda » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:40 am

We have a Hottest 100 party every year too, so I rarely get to go camping. But the fun of the party with the slippin' slide, Aussie fancy dress and plenty of mates about makes it a great weekend anyway.

Last year we actually skipped the party and went to Stanthorpe - it was an absolute disaster! It was stinking hot, the wineries weren't even open on Australia Day and the camp ground was horrid - so I'll be staying put for the party again this year!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:20 pm

amanda wrote: Last year we actually skipped the party and went to Stanthorpe - it was an absolute disaster! and the camp ground was horrid - so I'll be staying put for the party again this year!

Just as a point of interest, which campground in Stanthorpe did you stay at??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:11 pm

Country Style Accommodation Park. The majority of campers were o/s backpackers there for the fruit picking. At night they all congregated at the camp kitchen playing loud head banging music and smoking dope all night. Then first thing in the morning the manager would turn the generator on and it would run for half the day. The waterway described as a "tranquil flowing oasis" was actually blocked off by a wall at one end and was just a breeding ground for mozzies. The only living thing I saw go near it was a mangie dog. Amenities were clean and OK, but it will always go down as about the ONLY camping weekend we have ever wished we'd stayed at home for.
Last edited by amanda on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:34 pm

amanda wrote:Country Style Accommodation Park. The majority of campers were o/s backpackers there for the fruit picking. At night they all congregated at the camp kitchen playing loud head banging music and smoking dope all night. Then first thing in the morning the manager would turn the generator on and it would run for half the day. The waterway described as a "tranquil flowing oasis" was actually blocked off by a wall at one end and was just a breeding ground for mozzies. The only living thing I saw go near it was a amngie dog. Amenities were clean and OK, but it will always go down as about the ONLY camping weekend we have ever wished we'd stayed at home for.

Gee why does that not surprise me Amanda?? I spent Easter 2006 there and NEVER again. There were 4 familes of us and it started with my arrival to find someone else on the sites I had booked about 5 weeks before hand. We ended up next door to the camp kitchen which in itself was not a problem.

However one of the regulars told me a couple of days later that he had never seen it so clean as it was when we (all the campers) were there. It seems we cleaned it more and kept it clean more than either the regulars/owners did and he seemed quite appreciative of that fact.

We did not get one hot shower amongst us during our stay and when I approached the manager about it he said some kids had turned the hot water system off...Yeah right, like that happened all day every day.

Yes the amenities block was clean but I suspect that was more to do with the fact that the campers were not using it due to the shower situation.

In addition to this the owner's son who delivered the firewood (another story again) drove about the park like it was a race track and stirred the dust so bad that everything had to be unpacked at home and cleaned again, not to mention the problems we had with breathing and sore eyes etc.

We did not experience any issue with a generator though and as it was chilly there was no interest in the 'tranquil flowing oasis' either so I have no idea if it was there or not. Certainly their website does not depict the place as it really is.

Country Style Accommodation Park is definitely on my list of places not to recommend and never to visit again. Cheers Gypsy
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:18 pm

To make it even worse, we were "stalked" by a weirdo living in a one man tent that was camped nearby. At night after we'd go to bed, he'd come down and make himself at home under our tarp! He'd plonk himself on one of our chairs, put his beer in our esky and settle himself in for the night, and he was very difficult to get rid of. Eventually we ended up packing up a day early and heading home. How did you like the condition of teh supposed "on site vans" - most dog kennels I've seen are in better nick!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:36 pm

amanda wrote:To make it even worse, we were "stalked" by a weirdo living in a one man tent that was camped nearby. At night after we'd go to bed, he'd come down and make himself at home under our tarp! He'd plonk himself on one of our chairs, put his beer in our esky and settle himself in for the night, and he was very difficult to get rid of. Eventually we ended up packing up a day early and heading home. How did you like the condition of teh supposed "on site vans" - most dog kennels I've seen are in better nick!

Wow that would have been scary stuff and I did not really take too much notice of the on site vans but think I recall the whole place having a rather untidy and tatty appearance about it.

It was also interesting to note the the star rating outside the park was one thing and the inside rating displayed was another. Then of course the actual rating of the park was below that yet again.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:43 pm

[quote="amanda"] At night after we'd go to bed, he'd come down and make himself at home under our tarp! He'd plonk himself on one of our chairs, put his beer in our esky and settle himself in for the night, and he was very difficult to get rid of. quote]

Funny you should mention that. I remember tenting and on more than one occasion having people, complete strangers set up almost in the middle of my camp.

One Easter at Noosa North Shore this young couple set up their 2 person tent under the corner of our tarp...unbelievable. On another occasion people set up their camp and put their pegs/ropes in under the rear wheel of my car. Had I wanted to move it I would have had to drive over their ropes to get the vehicle out.

Some people really do some crazy things....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:02 pm

Australia Day is usually spent at the beach while everyone else goes camping. It's just chaos otherwise.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:34 pm

amanda wrote:To make it even worse, we were "stalked" by a weirdo living in a one man tent that was camped nearby. At night after we'd go to bed, he'd come down and make himself at home under our tarp! He'd plonk himself on one of our chairs, put his beer in our esky and settle himself in for the night, and he was very difficult to get rid of. Eventually we ended up packing up a day early and heading home. How did you like the condition of teh supposed "on site vans" - most dog kennels I've seen are in better nick!

That is bad I would have done............... I won't mention but he wouldn't be coming near any camps for a while if he was around my camp.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby D_mentias » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:40 am

I am spoilt for choice this weekend. A folk festival at Newstead Vic(small) or the Rainbow Serpent festival near by(large)...

Both are close to me!
D_mentias
Boy Scout

Postby amanda » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:48 pm

OK, you've got me - what happens at the Rainbow Sepent Festival?
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:51 pm

amanda wrote:OK, you've got me - what happens at the Rainbow Sepent Festival?

Check this link http://www.rainbowserpent.net/
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:02 pm

Ah, thank you - similar to the Woodford Festival.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat