HELP Whats The Best Way To Power Engel Combi

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

HELP Whats The Best Way To Power Engel Combi

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:36 am

Howdee hi to everyone. We are now the proud owners of an new Engel MT80F Combi 75 litre fridge/freezer.
:armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup

Details
Fridge Capacity 42 litre
Freezer Capacity 33 litre
DC Power Consumption: Variable from 0.5 - 4.2 AMPS
Power: Built -in 240V AC/12V/24V DC

My question is whats the best way to power it.
Looked at a Yamaha EF 2400is, batteries, solar panels.... it all too confusing.

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated
Cheers,
Chick
It's all about Beer, Hubbie, Fishing, Camping, Kids & Boating.. Oh and Me
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby kazzakanary » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:46 am

I would not have a clue but would love to own a 75L fridge/freezer - if you can't figure it out I will take it off your hands and figure it out!! :***
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:50 am

kazzakanary

Good one :+
Cheers,
Chick
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:10 am

I run a Waeco CF80

Basically its the Waeco equivilant of the Engel MT80F

I run a pair of 100Ah batteries in parallel (so 200Ah total capacity) and I get an average of 2-3 days out of my batteries.

Even if you use solar or a generator you will need some type of storage (batteries) I would look to at least 100Ah

Currently I'm looking at an 80 - 100watt solar kit and dropping one of my batteries this should give me 1 week easily without starting the car (I use a Redarc Smart start dual battery system)

Yamaha EF 2400is is a BIG generator. A very good generator but an expencive and probably over powering generator for running a fridge - also generators cant always be run - particularly in national parks and some of the state parks (at least in victoria) are starting to crack down on them also. If you do go the generator option think of your fellow campers and only run it for a few hours a day - no one wants to have to put up with a generator going all night (and yes some people do do this!)

I wrote a quick tute somewhere on this site regarding dual battery systems etc I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Edit : Try this
viewtopic.php?p=8898#8898
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: HELP Whats The Best Way To Power Engel Combi

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:45 pm

Mullie Grub Clan wrote:Howdee hi to everyone. We are now the proud owners of an new Engel MT80F Combi 75 litre fridge/freezer.
:armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup

Details
Fridge Capacity 42 litre
Freezer Capacity 33 litre
DC Power Consumption: Variable from 0.5 - 4.2 AMPS
Power: Built -in 240V AC/12V/24V DC

My question is whats the best way to power it.
Looked at a Yamaha EF 2400is, batteries, solar panels.... it all too confusing.

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated
Cheers,
Chick

As already previously stated, generators are not always allowed, not only in NPs and State forests but a number of private campgrounds as well.

I have a 60 litre Engel which is run as a fridge and a 40 litre Engel which I run as a freezer. We use both solar and when necessary back it up with a generator. Can camp for a long weekend + with the fridge and lights without any issues at all with 2 x 100Ah batteries.

The only time power usage becomes an issue is when I add the freezer (only long term camping) and then monitoring of the energy used is required.

It is probably more a personal preference which you choose with the cost/transport being the only major factors. Both will work well with solar only becoming an issue if you have a prolonged period of inclement weather.

Not sure this answers your question but it does give you a little more perspective.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Komodo
Yeah it is big. We are going to use the genni for running everything. "If we get one"
Thanks ever so much for the link to your report. I found this very interesting and well show it to Shane.
99% of the time we do beach camping and we also have to keep in mind about places that you can not use them. We need to have power for approx 2-3 weeks straight. Run fridge/freezer lights etc.
As for some people running them all night..... we had people next to us last time up the beach ran it all dam day and all dam night.... very rude of them. They got busted by the ranger, so it was all good in the end. We only run the smaller one we borrowed when we needed to.
Once again thanks heap
Cheers,
Chick
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:48 pm

Gypsylady,
Thanks heaps for the info. I will pass it on to Shane.
The only time power usage becomes an issue is when I add the freezer (only long term camping) and then monitoring of the energy used is required. ..... We need to run power for 2 - 3 weeks at a time.
Any way thanks again for the info we much appreciated.
Cheers,
Chick
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:49 pm

Mullie Grub Clan wrote:Gypsylady,
Thanks heaps for the info. I will pass it on to Shane.
The only time power usage becomes an issue is when I add the freezer (only long term camping) and then monitoring of the energy used is required. ..... We need to run power for 2 - 3 weeks at a time.
Any way thanks again for the info we much appreciated.
Cheers,
Chick

You are most welcome Chick and running it up the beach is a whole other issue. Try and place it behind the car so as to buffer the sound or dig a big shallow hole in the sand and sit it in the hollow which will buffer the sound too. Also face the exhaust away from you and towards a dune or something similar, again it will help buffer the sound.

And when I made the statement (in bold) above I was referring to my personal situation.

If you are going to use a battery as well I would also recommend that you run LED lights as opposed to the standard fluros. They not only draw less current but also less bugs too. Cheers...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:56 pm

Mullie Grub Clan wrote:Gypsylady,
..... We need to run power for 2 - 3 weeks at a time.
Chick

Sorry, forgot to comment here.....Long term we use solar panels to charge the batteries and if inclement weather and presuming it is permissiable, use the generator for back up. We have a smart charger (3 stage charger) permanently fitted and run the gennie to charge the batteries rather than run the appliances, although it is possible to do both at the same time. Cheers.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:29 pm

for 2-3 weeks beach camping look to no less than 200Ah of battery capacity and no less than 150watts of solar - this will keep everything running smooth.

The engel has less of a current draw with the swing motor running than the Waeco with the DF-50. the Engel runs more often though than the Waeco.

Use LED lights as GypsyLady suggested over fluros where possible and check out which panels you get. Some panels are super efficient but product nothing when partially shaded, some work in ful sun but not in the heat. on the beath I would suspect something that works in full sun and can deal with heat would be the best solution for you
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:37 pm

Komodo and Gypsylady
Thanks for all of your help. There is just so many things to take into consideration and your ideas are dam good ones.
LED lights
Dig a big shallow hole in the sand and sit it in the hollow which will buffer the sound too

:+
Cheers,
Chick
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:08 pm

Mullie Grub Clan wrote:Komodo and Gypsylady
Thanks for all of your help. There is just so many things to take into consideration and your ideas are dam good ones.
LED lights
Dig a big shallow hole in the sand and sit it in the hollow which will buffer the sound too

:+
Cheers,
Chick

Our panels equate to 205 watts and as I said they charge 2 x 100Ah batteries to run a 60 litre fridge and 40 litre freezer, water pump, electric start on the stove, lights and on occasion a 12 volt fan. The 205 watts handle all of the above provided there is good sun all day every day. Remove the freezer, as it has the greatest current draw and one can afford to rest a little easier with regard to how much sun is required.

You will also need a regulator and our panels ar BP Solarex if I recall correctly. I am sure there are now better ones available as we have had one of our panels for about 10 years.

If you are in SEQ then I recommend that you go and see Jamie at Dynamic Solar Solutions http://www.dynamicsolarsolutions.com.au/

I have no affiliation with this company other that I have found him to be extremely helpful with all things solar and 12 volt.

Hope this helps. Cheers....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:20 pm

Komodo wrote:The engel has less of a current draw with the swing motor running than the Waeco with the DF-50. the Engel runs more often though than the Waeco.

Re current draw... You can decrease this a little also by (a) providing a transit/insulation bag for the fridge (b) keeping it in a cool/shaded spot and (c) if not a transit bag then put either wet towels, wet canvas or something similar over the fridge making sure not to cover the vents.

Cheers....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:11 pm

Very true GypsyLady.

I'm currently looking at getting my local canvas manufacturer to make me a custom bag for my CF-80.
I'm also going to speak to a mate of mine who if pretty good with fiberglass. Going to talk to him about making me a new stronger lid for my fridge with built in foil insulation and polystyrene insulation - hoping this will improve the insulation properties of the fridge and thus reduce current draw.

gypsylady have you looking into using dry ice in your fridge at all?
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:44 pm

Komodo wrote:Very true GypsyLady.

I'm currently looking at getting my local canvas manufacturer to make me a custom bag for my CF-80.
I'm also going to speak to a mate of mine who if pretty good with fiberglass. Going to talk to him about making me a new stronger lid for my fridge with built in foil insulation and polystyrene insulation - hoping this will improve the insulation properties of the fridge and thus reduce current draw.

gypsylady have you looking into using dry ice in your fridge at all?

Yes I have tried to use dry ice but not very successfully. I must admit I did not use it in the fridge, never seem to have any extra room either.

Some people recommend Techni ice but again it reduces the space inside the fridge and mine it always packed to capacity so I want every bit of space available.

If I do happen to have any available space I usually put a 2/3 litre bottle of frozen water in it, it helps with the chill factor and gives me cold water as well. Again, more is better in the fridge (more food rather than less food) and always run it for at least a week before you need to use it. I actually run mine all year round.

I also turn it down a tad overnight when camping and monitor the temperature all the time.

Why do you feel the lid needs extra reinforcement?? I/we sit on ours, stand on it too and never have an issue with it either the 60 or the 40.

Cheers....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat