HELP Whats The Best Way To Power Engel Combi

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby Scolers » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:04 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Why do you feel the lid needs extra reinforcement?? I/we sit on ours, stand on it too and never have an issue with it either the 60 or the 40.


Cheers....


Is your's an Engel? Komodo could only afford a WAECO ... :--?

(sorry Komodo)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:41 pm

Scolers wrote:
gypsylady wrote:
Why do you feel the lid needs extra reinforcement?? I/we sit on ours, stand on it too and never have an issue with it either the 60 or the 40.


Cheers....


Is your's an Engel? Komodo could only afford a WAECO ... :--?

(sorry Komodo)

Scol.


I have 3 Engels, a 60, 40 and 17 litre. I also have an old Gaslec 50 litre and a 60 litre Trailblazer.

At this point in my camping career I only use the Engels.

Cheers....
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Postby Scolers » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:45 pm

gypsylady wrote:
At this point in my camping career I only use the Engels.

Cheers....


That's cause your wise ... we tried to talk Komodo into an Engel when he was looking but he took the cheaper option ... you can stand on an Engel with a lot more confidence that a WAECO.

Secretly I was worried GL might have a waeco and thus spoil my argument

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby Komodo » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:04 pm

LOL Scol its true - also I cant stand how bloody noisey the Engels are! My mates one drives me bonkers when i'm in his car.

Mine is a Waeco and they are notorious for doing lids from people sitting on them. I purchased my fridge secondhand with money I had from my 21st.

My fridge had a broken clip and the hinges were rusted when I purchased it so it wasnt in the best of shape. I've since had the hinges & clips replaced and had a full service done on it (cool factor in braeside victoria for any one local who need a fridge serviced - cant recommend them enough!).

But the lid is still a concern of mine, knowing how notorious they are for buckling from people sitting on them - and I've caught people countless times going to sit on mine when it has been taken out of the back of the patrol, so i'm assuming its only going to be a matter of time.

Also the STD lid doesnt seem to have very good thermal insulating properties at all which leads me to believe that this is a major area of heat soak causing the fridge to run inefficiently.

The experiance I've had with both fridges I still sway towards the Waeco as it performs better as a fridge / freezer than the Engel. Also it uses less energy over a 24 hour period it has faster pull down and the warranty on new ones basically cant be beat! Also at nearly half the price of the equivalant Engel the waeco gets my vote every time. In all honesty though I think next time I'm in the market for a fridge I'll look more seriously into the EvaKools or else look into a eutic (spell?) type fridge. I've also looked into having a custom made fridge - its cheaper than you would think!
Last edited by Komodo on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
User avatar
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:35 pm
Location: Frankston South [VIC]

Postby Scolers » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:08 pm

I don't ntoice the noise of the engel in the car but at night you can hear it purring away ... kinda soothing really ... 8)

Our engel either stays in the car or if we are camping for more than 3-4 days it's generally 'hidden' where people can't sit or stand on it.

If we didn't get an Engel, WAECO or Eva Kool would have been our next choice.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:12 am

Komodo wrote:LOL Scol its true - also I cant stand how bloody noisey the Engels are! My mates one drives me bonkers when i'm in his car.




!


Well Komodo all I can say is 'drink more beer mate' and you won't hear the noise.

The noise my Engel makes is almost negligible. And I also think it is a case of you get what you pay for......
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:26 am

Komodo wrote:
The experiance I've had with both fridges I still sway towards the Waeco as it performs better as a fridge / freezer than the Engel. Also it uses less energy over a 24 hour period it has faster pull down and the warranty on new ones basically cant be beat! Also at nearly half the price of the equivalant Engel the waeco gets my vote every time. In all honesty though I think next time I'm in the market for a fridge I'll look more seriously into the EvaKools or else look into a eutic (spell?) type fridge. I've also looked into having a custom made fridge - its cheaper than you would think!


I must admit Waeco had definitely lifted their game quite considerably in recent times but I think I would probably still run with the Engel because of the robustness of it overall.

If I had the money and the choice over again I would have gone for an Autofridge (eutectic). I believe them to be the superior of all the 12/240 fridges on the market here.

Cheers.....
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:35 am

Scolers wrote:
gypsylady wrote:
At this point in my camping career I only use the Engels.

Cheers....


That's cause your wise ... we tried to talk Komodo into an Engel when he was looking but he took the cheaper option ... you can stand on an Engel with a lot more confidence that a WAECO.

Secretly I was worried GL might have a waeco and thus spoil my argument

:?#

Scol.


Sorry seem to have lost this post somewhere so will try again.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but it is simply a case of the Trailblazer, a 60 litre upright no longer fits in the vehicle I now have. The Gaslec is a 3 way and I prefer the 12/240 option these days.

BTW am glad I did not let the argument down....
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:37 am

Scolers wrote: but at night you can hear it purring away ... kinda soothing really ... 8)

Scol.


Who can hear the Engel over the snoring??
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Postby Scolers » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:24 am

gypsylady wrote:
Scolers wrote: but at night you can hear it purring away ... kinda soothing really ... 8)

Scol.


Who can hear the Engel over the snoring??


I agree it can be hard but sometimes my wife doesn't snore ... :grin:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:35 am

Scolers wrote:
gypsylady wrote:
Scolers wrote: but at night you can hear it purring away ... kinda soothing really ... 8)

Scol.


Who can hear the Engel over the snoring??


I agree it can be hard but sometimes my wife doesn't snore ... :grin:

Scol.


Lucky you....
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron