Driving Lights

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Driving Lights

Postby jeddalegs » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:23 pm

Hey, was just wondering if anyone can help me just bought a new car and it has 'driving lights' is it legal to use them in qld? thought ive heard that fog lights are illegal but not sure about these... cant find any info on the net either.
jeddalegs
Boy Scout

Postby Komodo » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:04 pm

as far as I am aware the reason Fog lights are illegal is because they can opperate whilst low beams are on.

Driving lights should be fine as they should only be able to come one when on high beam. If they arent setup like that you should see an auto elec
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby jasonb » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:54 pm

i know in nsw you can have fog lights but you must only use them in fog ,,,but if you have white fog lights you can call them drl's which is daytime running lights and get away with it ,,,,i have both and have had no trouble ,except once i turned on the wrong ones and got pulled up and the coppa said what i just said ,,,then he let me off ,,thank god cause its a big fine for using fog lights without fog ,yellow ones anyway
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:33 pm

Good point Jason! forgot about that

DRL's are become more and more popular. Many big companies (nestle, mining companies etc) have company policies where by any one driving a company vehicle MUST do so with DRL's on at ALL times.

Statistics apparently show that vehicles with DRL's on are less likely to be involved in "head on" style accidents.
I turn my low beams on now just out of habbit all the time. Though I have noticed that on the freeway I don't get cut off as often with them on and people tend to change into the left lanes if I am coming up the right lane.

Whilst driving across the nullabor earlier this year I can definately say that vehicles with their lights on - no matter what time of day or light conditions, were DEFINATELY easier to see and could be seen from a LOT further away than those without. Very few vehicles (trucks included) travel the Eyre hwy without lights on
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:57 pm

For Queensland the rule is.... (as per Queensland Transport Webpage)

"(3) Also, a driver driving during the day in fog, or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility, may drive
without the headlights of the driver’s vehicle operating if the vehicle is fitted with front fog lights and those lights are
operating effectively and are clearly visible.

This is the link
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb4f760ad029417/QRR_part13_lights_and_warning_devices.pdf
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby jollyroger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:15 pm

Wow I didn't know any of that. I would have assumed i could have used them.

It also begs the question of different laws and Spotties. There is a law here in SA where you 4 & 6 rule. No more than 4 driving lights and two high beam making the six. if you exceed this and those lights are uncovered in suburbia you can be fined. I know of a bloke who has two normal headlights +highbeam Two spotties on the bull bar and four spotties across the top of the roof. He was whacked with a huge fine for having all the spotties uncovered as soon as he hit the city limits. $350!

Now I have Lightforce spotties on and they don't come covered. So I asked a cop about them and he said I haven't exceeded the 4&6 rule with amount of lights even though two are spotties. I was starting to get a headache so I just agreed and left...I hope this makes sense? :shock:
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Komodo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:21 pm

I believe there are also laws regarding how high they can be also and Im pretty sure that they have to have a bar above them - ie lights on sports bars on utes are illegal unless there is a hoop over them and light on top of bull bars are in the same boat.

Hey who knows its all interpretation at the end of the day...
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:02 pm

Komodo wrote:Statistics apparently show that vehicles with DRL's on are less likely to be involved in "head on" style accidents.
I turn my low beams on now just out of habbit all the time. Though I have noticed that on the freeway I don't get cut off as often with them on and people tend to change into the left lanes if I am coming up the right lane.

Whilst driving across the nullabor earlier this year I can definately say that vehicles with their lights on - no matter what time of day or light conditions, were DEFINATELY easier to see and could be seen from a LOT further away than those without. Very few vehicles (trucks included) travel the Eyre hwy without lights on

I drive all the time with my lights on, I drive a dark coloured car, what I call road coloured and I figure with my lights on I am more visible.

It is a habit I got into a number of years ago when living out in the country, west of the ranges. It became as much of a habit as putting my seatbelt on.

Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:09 pm

Redarc (a south Australian company) make a unit which wires in to the ignition - they call it "ignition on / lights on" ie as soon as the ignition is turned on the light come on and when you turn the ignition off the lights go off (possibly you can set a delay on this - not sure though?)

Havent ever priced one up but I think I may end up getting one soon. I could probably wire something up easily enough my self - but its the CBF'd factor
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:11 pm

Komodo wrote: "ignition on / lights on" ie as soon as the ignition is turned on the light come on and when you turn the ignition off the lights go off factor

This is a standard feature on my car but for those who do not have it what a great option. Cheers...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Cruzin » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:02 am

When on the "big island" of Hawaii we hired a 4WD for a couple weeks - Chevy Blazer.
The lights always came on at ignition (very bright)
Then Fade to half illumination
At ignition off they would fade to Off
If you needed Lights to come on for "dark days" or at evening time, the light switch would bring them back up to Full illumination.

Asked the hire company and the reason was - to avoid head-on collisions, They had so many over seas tourists hiring (or driving private cars) who were used to driving on the left hand side of the road. They would wander over the middle or take off initially on the LHS when entering roadways. He advised that all hire companies decided that this was the way to go.
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:26 am

OT question.

Cruzin did the doors look when you started the ignition - or put it in gear?

Many countries have this as std (possibly even law) to avoid car-jacking. The commodore can do this as an option
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:40 am

Komodo wrote:OT question.

Cruzin did the doors look when you started the ignition - or put it in gear?

Many countries have this as std (possibly even law) to avoid car-jacking. The commodore can do this as an option

Yeah, a really good idea too. Driving as much as I do on my own it is a feature I would love to have although in saying that I suppose it could come against you in and accident situation. Cheers......
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby HGMonaro » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:11 am

"locked" car doors usually open from the inside, unless you deadlock them with the key (which you wouldn't do if you're in the car!). Try it to see.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:23 am

HGMonaro wrote:"locked" car doors usually open from the inside, unless you deadlock them with the key (which you wouldn't do if you're in the car!). Try it to see.

That's fine if you are conscious and physically able...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat