Driving Lights

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby Komodo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:38 pm

My understanding is that a car involved in a substancial accident must pop the doors to a point where they may easily be prised open by rescue crews or opened from the inside.

There was rumours around a few years ago that if you hit an AU falcon on the roof it would pop open the door locks - this was supposed to be the sensor incase the vehicle was involved in a roll over. Wether or not it works I dont know.

I do know that when I rolled dads rangie I walked out through the windscreen and other freinds who have been involved in roll overs have all basically said similar things - that the windscreen just falls out.

I've also been lead to believe that its illegal to lock your doors if they cannot easily be opened incase of an accident - possibly why the commodores dont do it from factory - i assume they borrow a BMC from somewhere else in the GM line up hence this function is available - but not set on as standard.
I guess at the end of the day if you are involved in an accident its not all that hard for someone to break open a window if they have to to open the door to access you.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Cruzin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:00 am

Hi Komodo,
I cannot re-call about the car jacking function on the Blazer, but I can comment about my own set-up.
We've had it on the Vitara Estate; Pajero; LC series80; Toyo Surf; 2x Celicas and 2x Mazda MX6s since 1995. (family member's vehicles and my 4WDs)

The all had installed a Mongoose 570 or higher spec alarm, and car-jacking is a programmable function.

We decided to do this after both my wife and myself were on the receiving end of attempted car jackings. (thank goodness for Rhodesian Ridgebacks - who don't like anybody outside of your family and only tolerate relations when instructed)

The doors lock after ignition (about 5 secs delay) and release after ignition is turned off.
They can be manually opened by simply operating the locking stalk (if your vehicle has them) or electric button on the individual doors or on the driver's master overiding switch - all 5xdoors.
There is no difference in functionality to the scenario where you can manually lock your door and end up in an accident, where the doors need to be "opened" as apposed to the programmable function locking the doors.

I have been sus on the functionality after an accident whereby you end up in deep water upside down, (the battery would still have some residual charge - and the manual over-ride function would work), but I guess that adrenilan (spelling) would kick in very early if I needed to break glass.

Rgds
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby jollyroger » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:22 pm

Cruzin

Is that a Challenger in your avatar?

Looks a lot like one with the side on profile shot!
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Cruzin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:39 pm

And a Thousand Welcomes to you too Jolly. :hello:
(also a member of the Irish Club)

It is a 3rd Generation Toyota Surf KZN185 turbo diesel.
Have a look here at a Site that I used to administrate
http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/

It is the import model of the Prado 90 Series (all the bells and whistles at a third of the price - back then)
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:52 pm

Cruzin wrote:And a Thousand Welcomes to you too Jolly. :hello:
(also a member of the Irish Club)

It is a 3rd Generation Toyota Surf KZN185 turbo diesel.
Have a look here at a Site that I used to administrate
http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/

It is the import model of the Prado 90 Series (all the bells and whistles at a third of the price - back then)

I had forgotten about the old Surf forum. I used to post on there, not that I am a Surf owner. :)

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Cruzin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:08 pm

Yes Derek

I do recall especially the Camp Oven Cooking display at Bribie Island.

That's where you got me started on all this bloody feasting every time we go away... LOL
Fed all the members of four differnt camp sites in the middle of winter - Honeyed soy and garlic prawns last time at Neerum Creek. (thought then I was lucky to have caught up with you)

Les Wellard is still around (Brisbane 4WD club I think he is the webmaster.)

He posts from time to time on the Australian Camper Trailer Group (Yahoo)
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cam ... s/messages

rgds
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:18 pm

Yep that was a while ago now at Bribie.

Trying to remember what I cooked. I think it was a roast lamb dinner followed by a chocolate black forest desert with dollop cream. :+
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Cruzin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:02 am

Yes I seem to recall that was it.

17 April 2005

There were also guys from the Ausfish site and they had some home made "fireboxes" and also were cooking Spinach and fetta rolled in puff pastry in their ovens etc

some pics here

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... in_photos/

or tinyurl of
http://tinyurl.com/3b7lw8

I know my pics/albumns are a mess - they be sorted one day--arrrgh.
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Driving with lights on

Postby Hissy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:36 am

Whenever i drive out on the open road or on a trip with the kids i drive with the headlights on.

This has just become a way of trying to be visible to others. I would hate to be in a head on crash out in the country on single lane road.

Even my wife who now does more of the country driving now with the trailer. I am so proud of her. She even turns the lights on aswell.

When you see the sign "drive with your headlights on in day time", that means you! So often people do not do it because they feel like a dick, being the only one doing it.
The sign is there because the area has a high accident rate, so turn em on.

Keep your lights on. if you pass me with my lights on during the day and give me a flash, i will give you a wave.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Re: Driving with lights on

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:07 am

Hissy wrote:Whenever i drive out on the open road or on a trip with the kids i drive with the headlights on.

This has just become a way of trying to be visible to others. I would hate to be in a head on crash out in the country on single lane road.

It still amazes me the number of people who still have not gotten the safety message and flash you to let you know your lights are on (like you forgot to turn them off) when you drive with them on.

I like to give a wave of acknowledgement when I pass another vehicle on the open road with their lights on. Unfortunately unless you are in the outback they seldom return the favour.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:14 pm

I hate cars that lock themselves. Worries me if there's an accident and you need to be pulled out in a hurry.

Back on topic, another legal thing with driving lights is there's a max number your allowed to have, and they must be paired, no odd numbers :? And check where they are mounted cause on top of the bullbar is also a no no.

(btw my current ride breaks all of these above rules :lol: :oops: )
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:07 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:I hate cars that lock themselves. Worries me if there's an accident and you need to be pulled out in a hurry

That is always my concern about locked doors.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby jollyroger » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:38 pm

Ozzycamperboy!

There are differrent laws in every state. The way I had it explained for SA is...
You are allowed up to 4 headlights (not including highbeam).
Then you are allowed up to 4 highbeam which must include your headlights...(this is where they started to lose me)

So I have a pair of Lightforce spotties which are purely high beam that covers me for the 4 highbeam and I only have two normal driving lights. So i can add two more driving lights but they must not have any highbeam part to them OR foglight aspect to them. If I add more highbeam lights (spotties) then they must be covered within the boundries of any main Municipality ie: town or city.

So if you want to recreate Close Encounters of The Third Kind with your light arrays in town make sure it's not near a cop.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby SMP » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:44 am

How much light do you need? I have a pair of IPF spot lights on the bull bar and between them and the high beam I have more than enough light for normal driving. I often wonder when I see cars with 5, 6, 8 lights whether they are in competition or it's just the latest wank factor to go with your 5 inch lift. Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat