Camping on Fraser??

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Camping on Fraser??

Postby kazzakanary » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:50 pm

I heard they are telling peopke to evacuate?? Anyone know more? Or anyone who is camping up that way?
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Troyk » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:41 pm

On the news tonight they said the evacuations have started.

Not the ideal destination at the moment. :?
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Troyk » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:16 am

Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby kazzakanary » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:44 am

Thanks Troyk
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Scolers » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:29 pm

All campers are just about off ... and they are only letting people on who have pre booked resort or cabin accomodation.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Troyk » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:49 pm

Scolers wrote:All campers are just about off ... and they are only letting people on who have pre booked resort or cabin accomodation.

Scol.

Scols, How windy is it at HB? Is it calmer than Fraser?

Troyk

Postby Scolers » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:17 pm

It is calmer actually ... it's howling on Fraser but just 'windy' here. And of course the coastline here isn't receiving the thrashing that Fraser and other parts of SE QLD are receiving.

I always knew Fraser was good for soemthing ... protecting Hervey Bay from cyclones and tsunamis!

:?#
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Troyk » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:39 pm

These are comments people have left on the story in the Courier Mail on the evacuations from Fraser Island. Makes for some interesting reading about how some people see 4wd and their owners, and what we should expect from the BOM.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/comments/0,23836,22982231-952,00.html.

Here are some of the gems (cortesy of the Courier Mail)

"So all those expensive 4wd 'Ascot Tractors' that rarely leave sealed roads, will be heading back to town? Thanks for the warning :)"

"They should use all these gas guzzlers 4 wheel drives as barriers to protect the beach against erosion.What a wonderful idea !!.IAt least they will be of good use instead of polluting the environment"

"scooper..you speak well..and don't forget if you need a tradesman in a hurry, don't hold your breath waiting either, because they will be on Fraser as well. They buy 4 wheel drives with tax concessions, supposedly for work purposes, never go off road, except for trips to Fraser. They should be audited by the tax office as to if they really need that type of vehicle for work."

"Oh dear I dont know what to do - laugh or cry? the poor dears who have to drive all the way thru unspoilt area to camp on private beaches paid for by the rest of us. Maybe why I am laughing is I just hate the idea of a ferry ride over the rough sea. If the waves are as bad as the ones hitting the coast it will be a lovely rough ride but then again they are in 4wheel drives built for it. hahahahaha"

Troyk

Postby s4j » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:18 am

Great link...I must say that the 'old'.....'very old' 4x4 debate was strong.....we have a Patrol and a Kia Rio hatch....so I guess I should play the 50-50 on the fence view.....will the debate never end.....I suppose I could start bagging sedan drivers just for fun....considering all of the accidents family and friends have had involve a sedan in the 'wrong'.....
Just for the record we went with the 4x4 for 3 main reasons....1.There are 6 of us so seating was necessary...(had a Starwagon and never felt safe without a proper bonnet)....2.We do like to go off-road...3.We have a 20 foot boat to tow...4.Ok yeah I did say 3....LOL

Despite what the time says for the post...it's really 1:16am....LOL :***
The camera's are mine...the closest he will get is holding the umbrella when it rains.
s4j
Camping King

Postby Scolers » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:34 am

Good to see the 4wd myths are still doing the rounds ... :booty

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:55 am

Only one point ever needs to be mentioned to someone narrow minded enough to jump on the 4x4 bashing bandwagon.... Last i checked, Australia wasn't communist. You can buy what car you want when you want and use it for what you want. End of story.

Of course, if you drive a 4x4 and it never leaves the tarmac you also have the right to be called a twit :lol: But these people are out there enjoying an island that would otherwise be impossible for lots of them to see - Not everyone can afford resort accommodation.

I was going to post that on the news site but all the 4x4 comments are already down the bottom.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Troyk » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:04 am

What amazed me about the comments was that it wasn't like it was a report on a road tax for 4wds, but a story about people (mostly familaies) being caught in a severe storm and trying to escape. Did not see any comments about hope every gets off the island safe and sound. :?
Last edited by Troyk on Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troyk

Postby Troyk » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:28 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:I was going to post that on the news site but all the 4x4 comments are already down the bottom.

Yep they are giving it to the BOM. Who wants a job as a meteorologist? When do they guys ever get any thanks. :x

Troyk

Postby kazzakanary » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:41 am

LMAO!!A lot of interesting coments in that article!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Scolers » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:52 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
Of course, if you drive a 4x4 and it never leaves the tarmac you also have the right to be called a twit :lol:

:*** :*** :***

I think some just like the 'security' it offers ... their call really.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat