Help me!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Help me!

Postby kazzakanary » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Guys we are supposed to leave tomorrow for camping!!!
Where can we go - 2-3 hours from Brissie that takes dogs, is not raining and you can swim there????
Please give me an idea!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Troyk » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:45 pm

Considering how wide spread the rain is, that ain't many options.

I can't think of anything sorry.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:27 pm

I have a couple of books camping with dogs but i`m finding it hard to come up with the no rain bit,it seems to be raining all over,even northern nsw. Maybe if i give some names you can ring them about the weather??

Atkinson Dam Waterfront Caravan park 83 Ks West of Brissie 5426 4151
camp kitchen.frig.lpg.w/mach,shop.boating.pool.fire. pet friendly.

My Warning Park.camp kitchen.pool.pet bond. 02 66795120

Yallakool Tourist Park near Bjelke Peterson dam..41684746 bbq.camp kitchen.boating.pool. tennis.kiosk.

i`m sure other members will have more.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby kazzakanary » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks poodle jewel! and Troyk- You weren't much help! LOL
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby stevo. » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:01 pm

by the look of the radar at http://bom.gov.au you'll have to go further than 3 hours from Brisbane.

more beer :beer
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Scolers » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:25 pm

Hervey Bay is ok ... for now .... and prolly at the limit of your 2-3 hrs you want to travel.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:45 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:I have a couple of books camping with dogs but i`m finding it hard to come up with the no rain bit,it seems to be raining all over,even northern nsw. Maybe if i give some names you can ring them about the weather??

Atkinson Dam Waterfront Caravan park 83 Ks West of Brissie 5426 4151
camp kitchen.frig.lpg.w/mach,shop.boating.pool.fire. pet friendly.

Yallakool Tourist Park near Bjelke Peterson dam..41684746 bbq.camp kitchen.boating.pool. tennis.kiosk.

Well Atkinson Dam is probably ok, it never rains out there or so it seems and there is no water in the dam either.

It is also my understanding that Yallakool is now closed temporarily due to the lack of water in the dam.

You could try somewhere like Cressbrook Dam or Leslie Dam out near Warwick. Sorry I do not have any contact details for either of them but a Google search should reveal that info.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:48 pm

Cressbrook, no dogs, no swimming.

Leslie, No Dogs.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Re: Help me!

Postby Troyk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:00 pm

kazzakanary wrote:Guys we are supposed to leave tomorrow for camping!!!
Where can we go - 2-3 hours from Brissie that takes dogs, is not raining and you can swim there????
Please give me an idea!

Have you left yet?

Troyk

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Troyk wrote:Cressbrook, no dogs, no swimming.

Leslie, No Dogs.

Yes I did know that but did not read the post properly and therefore did not see the reference to dogs, SORRY..

Did not know about the no swiming at Cressbrook though, what a bummer??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:49 am

Sorry its not that there is no swimming at Leslie and Cressbrook, its just recommended that you do not swim because of the risk of "blue green algal" blooms, which can release toxins and oocysts, which can cause skins rashes and if you ingest can make you sick.

Troyk

Postby kazzakanary » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:12 am

We are still home and bummed out - it is fine again today but the outlook is showers for this week - would you go and risk it or not??
We are thinking inland north - near Gympie/Kennilworth
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Troyk » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:21 am

Kenilworth SF may not be good as Booloumba Creek campgrounds were closed the other day. Island Reach or Borumba Deer Park might be ok, but they have had a lot of rain up there.

Troyk

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:18 pm

Troyk wrote:Kenilworth SF may not be good as Booloumba Creek campgrounds were closed the other day. Island Reach or Borumba Deer Park might be ok, but they have had a lot of rain up there.

We have just returned from Island Reach and yes it was very wet. We had only 3 days of sunshine during our 2 weeks there.

The grounds are quite wet and the 4WDs have chewed it up in places. One advantage of all the ants are that the water does not lay about for too long fortunately.

There is also a lot of hairy grubs which seem to take over the camp, not sure what they will turn into but can't imagine it being anything nice.

Even with all the rain there was still a lot of weed in the creek too.

Flies were also pretty irritating, had to run the Robocan almost non stop on some days.

The amenities block still has not been upgraded and had difficulty keeping up with the demand and I must say the servicing of it left a lot to be desired. It was lucky if it was done once a day when in high demand times it really should be serviced twice daily.

Island Reach is a lovely spot but really only in low season.

Maybe next week will be better weather wise it you are still able to go then.

Cheers..
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby kazzakanary » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:06 pm

We have decided not to go!! :(
It is just too wet - We will wait and see what next weekend brings but our daughter only took off this week so it depends on her shifts!?
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat