Anyone dehydrate?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Anyone dehydrate?

Postby will_deness » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:37 pm

Food that is. We have a food dehydrater and I use it to make jerky, and occasionally done a bit of fruit/rollups. Never have done mangos tho and this year the tree is bulging. So I thought I'd give it a go, but I can't seem to find whats best for pretreating. Anyone any ideas?
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:54 pm

have ya tried Bacon? goto love Bacon :armsup
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Re: Anyone dehydrate?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:53 am

will_deness wrote:Food that is. We have a food dehydrater and I use it to make jerky, and occasionally done a bit of fruit/rollups. Never have done mangos tho and this year the tree is bulging. So I thought I'd give it a go, but I can't seem to find whats best for pretreating. Anyone any ideas?

I have tried but found it took way too long and the quanty was not too great for the time taken so gave it up as a bad joke.

I now vacuum seal.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:18 am

gypsylady wrote:I have tried but found it took way too long and the quanty was not too great for the time taken so gave it up as a bad joke.

I definatly don't do my "projects" to save money, I know time wise and money wise it's a lot better to duck to coles. I do my stuff for the experiance. Its pretty much just my generation that has had the coles/woolies convenience, where we just go in and get what we want with not a care about how things are produced. The next generation(our kids) will be even more oblivious to these things. Call me crazy :grin: but its my "zen"
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:06 pm

will_deness wrote:
gypsylady wrote:I have tried but found it took way too long and the quanty was not too great for the time taken so gave it up as a bad joke.

I definatly don't do my "projects" to save money, I know time wise and money wise it's a lot better to duck to coles. I do my stuff for the experiance. Its pretty much just my generation that has had the coles/woolies convenience, where we just go in and get what we want with not a care about how things are produced. The next generation(our kids) will be even more oblivious to these things. Call me crazy :grin: but its my "zen"

It was not a money saving exercise for me, it was more about convenience but like I said the time it took for the amount of return in the quanity of food was just not worth it.

I vacuum seal for the same reason 'convenience' especially for camping. I am also very conscious of packaging and content when I shop.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:07 pm

gypsylady wrote:It was not a money saving exercise for me, it was more about convenience but like I said the time it took for the amount of return in the quanity of food was just not worth it.

Pedantic I know!, but same amount of food. just less water. So in fact its mango concentrate. :grin:
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:32 pm

will_deness wrote:
gypsylady wrote:It was not a money saving exercise for me, it was more about convenience but like I said the time it took for the amount of return in the quanity of food was just not worth it.

Pedantic I know!, but same amount of food. just less water. So in fact its mango concentrate. :grin:

Yeah but I wanted more so that I did not have to do it as often as the action of dehydrating was so time consuming. On average I am out of the home 12 hours a day 5 days a week, my home time and what I can achieve in that time definitely has limitations....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Kramer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:30 pm

I would love one just to make Beef Jerky are they still quite expensive?
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Kramer wrote:I would love one just to make Beef Jerky are they still quite expensive?

Not any more and you can now buy them at a variety of outlets including some of the cheapie stores as well.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:25 am

Kramer wrote:I would love one just to make Beef Jerky are they still quite expensive?

I buy corned silverside when it's about $5ish a kilo.It has a nice salty flavour and the high sodium content means it has that extra bit of preserving power. Last time I made it, us four carnivores snacked on it all the way to rockhampton(which would be about the same price we wouldv'e spent on chips and lollies).
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:58 am

Now using silverside is a good idea how thick do you slice it? I will check out ebay today to see if they have any otherwise over to Kmart this afternoon :armsup
Kramer

Postby will_deness » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:34 am

Kramer wrote:Now using silverside is a good idea how thick do you slice it? I will check out ebay today to see if they have any otherwise over to Kmart this afternoon :armsup

Thin! make sure you cut out all fat, all the stuff along the back and the bit thats usually in the V. I slice it so I have strips about 200mm long 5 mm thick and 25-40 mm wide. width and lenght don't matter much but try to keep the thickness consistant otherwise it wont dry evenly. slices acrossthe fibres are easier to chew but have virtually no nutrients in them as you get nutrient loss from a few mm from each end and if the fibres are 5 mm thick! you do the math, compared to slicing along the fibres, a few mm either end of 200mm is minor loss
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:26 pm

will_deness wrote:
Kramer wrote:Now using silverside is a good idea how thick do you slice it? I will check out ebay today to see if they have any otherwise over to Kmart this afternoon :armsup

Thin! make sure you cut out all fat, all the stuff along the back and the bit thats usually in the V. I slice it so I have strips about 200mm long 5 mm thick and 25-40 mm wide. width and lenght don't matter much but try to keep the thickness consistant otherwise it wont dry evenly. slices acrossthe fibres are easier to chew but have virtually no nutrients in them as you get nutrient loss from a few mm from each end and if the fibres are 5 mm thick! you do the math, compared to slicing along the fibres, a few mm either end of 200mm is minor loss

Cheers for that I didn't get to Kmart yesterday or today I will see if I can get there tomorrow and might give it a shot on the weekend.
Kramer

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 am

Kramer wrote:

Cheers for that I didn't get to Kmart yesterday or today I will see if I can get there tomorrow and might give it a shot on the weekend.

So how did you go Kramer??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Kramer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:24 pm

Nope looks like I will order one off ebay or try and find one secondhand I did a little research and the internet says I should get a dehydrator which has an adjustable thermostat for drying jerky like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EZIDRI-Dehydrato ... dZViewItem
Kramer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat