need advice re power for a small fridge

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

need advice re power for a small fridge

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:29 pm

I am buying one of those small car fridges that you plug into a cigarette lighter for when on the road.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set these type of fridges up for when not driving due to the fact it would obviously flatten the battery if left in the cigarette lighter.

Is there a way that I could set up a car battery for it for example
I absolutely love downunder and want to see all of it, especially the outback
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:51 pm

i would not buy one at all. The small ones you plug in to the cig lighter are (no offense) absolute crap, they require heaps of power and do not keep things very cold. You will not be able to run one on a second battery for very long at all.

These are the one that just run a fan and cool metal fins, they also heat stuff, and cost $100 etc? Avoid them :-bang

If you buy one, you will use it for a while and then give up on it :$
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:02 pm

meeky wrote:i would not buy one at all. The small ones you plug in to the cig lighter are (no offense) absolute crap, they require heaps of power and do not keep things very cold. You will not be able to run one on a second battery for very long at all.

These are the one that just run a fan and cool metal fins, they also heat stuff, and cost $100 etc? Avoid them :-bang

If you buy one, you will use it for a while and then give up on it :$

I'd agree with the above comments. They only cool plus or minus below the ambient temp, so the cooling effect is minimal. I'd also recommend that you stay away from them.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Whats the actual brand/model your looking at. Even the proper fridges have "CIG lighter" power. Is it a proper fridge freezer, with a compressor and refrigerant, or is it a petier one the other two are on about?

Next question. What car do you drive, and do you know what size battery its got?

For the last week I've had my fridge on 24/7, at its warmest setting (prolly 2-3 deg) and only driven my car properly every second day. No flats or low battery warnings yet, but I've got a huge battery.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:23 pm

I am moving back to Qld from Vic and will be leaving probably next Tuesday. As its gonna be a long hot drive up the Newell, I was thinking (havnt brought it yet) about buying one for the trip up, mainly so I have cold water to drink on the way and cold wine at night :grin: (thats important!! LOL)

I drive a camry wagon, I have sold all my furniture and belongings so only taking what will fit in the car.

Once I get back up to Qld, I will get back into camping again and will have to buy gear (my ex has the engel... grrrr ... lol)

I have also been reading a pos about the Techni Ice eskie but wont have time to buy one them due to the delivery factor.

I guess, at this stage I want something to keep water cold.

I saw it at Dick Smiths yesterday and thought it might be a good idea and then I was thinking, could it be used for camping after I get back home.
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:26 pm

It is one that is used often by truckies and couriers, I have no idea what size battery I have ... lol...

The fridge does not have a compressor or anything, its simply like a powered eskie I guess
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:42 pm

mystical_aussiegal wrote:It is one that is used often by truckies and couriers, I have no idea what size battery I have ... lol...

The fridge does not have a compressor or anything, its simply like a powered eskie I guess

Buy an esky and some ice, it will be more efficient and cheaper in the long run. Then when you get established back here you will have time to research all the fridges etc on the market and will be able to make a more informed decision.

Cheers GL
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:54 pm

Yeah little esky and some frozen water bottles would be the go.

Although my mate had one of them peltier can coolers, it worked ok, because pretty much 1/2 the surface area of the can was in direct contact with the cold surface. So essentially it was an electric stubby holder. But then your limited to canned drinks :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:07 am

~ ~ ~ thanks for the input everyone....

I think I might just buy an al cheapo eskie for the drive home and then check out something more appropriate for camping when I get up there , time is the factor right now and space in the car.
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:51 am

mystical_aussiegal wrote:~ ~ ~ thanks for the input everyone....

I think I might just buy an al cheapo eskie for the drive home and then check out something more appropriate for camping when I get up there , time is the factor right now and space in the car.

Think that is a very wise decision... safe trip too..
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:11 pm

Definately stick with the esky and ice over one of these "coolers"

If you really want the ice to last then do a search on here for dry ice there have been a few threads about it.

Its available from places like BOC, Supagas and probably linde gas and air liquide.

Friends of mine used it when we went away over NYE for the falls festival and they're "nylex" esky was still full of frozen ice when we left - even after leaving the esky partially in the sun for 3 days of 36+ degrees during the day and 25+ degrees nights. (this years was the hottest falls festival on record)

It actually coped with the heat better than my waeco (I ran out of battery on the last day).
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:06 pm

~ ~ ~ I just got back from shopping and brought an elcheapo from The Warehouse, ideal size being 25 litre, not too big and not too small to keep water and wine cool.

That will do for the trip back to Qld and then when I get settled, I am thinking of getting a Techni Ice Eskie... reading reports about them on here, seems like the way to go.

My el cheapo cost me $23.00 and I am happy with that as it would cost alot more if I was to stop and buy cold water each time I passed a town.

It will also be a good little esky to have if I am just going out on a day trip or going to someones place for a barbie or whatever :grin:
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:10 pm

gypsylady wrote:
mystical_aussiegal wrote:~ ~ ~ thanks for the input everyone....

Think that is a very wise decision... safe trip too..

~ ~ ~ thankyou Gypsylady, I am looking forward to the drive and I always drive safely :)
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:16 am

mystical_aussiegal wrote:
~ ~ ~ thankyou Gypsylady, I am looking forward to the drive and I always drive safely :)

It is not necessarily all about how safely you drive, it is about how those around might drive aussiegal. Stay safe.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Art » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:48 am

The peltier coolers do waste a lot of energy to remove only little heat from food.
The only viable product I've found after trying many, is a single can cooler.
Probably just because the surface area making contact with the can is great.

I remember creating another thread about it not so long ago.
BCF do have them afterall, the shop assistant I spoke to just didn't know
what he was selling.

They are about $55, and still too much, but work,
if you can handle cooling one can at a time.

If you get real desperate you can purge the contents of an LPG cylinder,
and disperse the heat from a stubbie with the cold cylinder.
While you're at it, why not point the LPG at your Mother in law while she's
smoking! :)
"Boy Scout" my Ass, I Climb Mountains Baby!
Art
Captain Camping

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat