New Aussie Camp Ovens Released On The Market

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

New Aussie Camp Ovens Released On The Market

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Southern Metal Spinners have released their new Aussie Camp Ovens. Click on the photo below to see them.

Derek

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby kazzakanary » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:51 pm

I just find them so heavy! Would these be any lighter than the ones already on the market or not?
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:54 pm

They are made of spun steel so are about a quarter of the weight of cast iron
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby will_deness » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Derek wrote:They are made of spun steel so are about a quarter of the weight of cast iron

Wouldn't thicker be better? like bbq plates and saucepans?We had a cheap thin wok and we didn't realise how crap it was till we got a thicker better quality one, Would that be the same for c/ovens?
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:03 pm

will_deness wrote:
Derek wrote:They are made of spun steel so are about a quarter of the weight of cast iron

Wouldn't thicker be better? like bbq plates and saucepans?We had a cheap thin wok and we didn't realise how crap it was till we got a thicker better quality one, Would that be the same for c/ovens?

Technically yes but you have to consider the weight particularly for traveling. From experience you can cook anything in a spun steel camp oven. I have been using a Bedourie for nearly 30 years with no problem.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby will_deness » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm

Yep they can get heavy.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:09 pm

Just weighed the 10" model and it's exactly 3 kilos. Also weighed my 10" cast iron Lodge oven and it is exactly 6 kilos.

My quarter was a bit out.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Derek - a question ?

Postby PestMaster » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:15 am

Derek,

I am looking at buying either a "Bedourie" or an "Aussie Camp Oven" (Thanks mainly to your enthusiasm about camp ovens !)

In your opinion, what are the main differences between the two ?
PestMaster
Boy Scout

Re: Derek - a question ?

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:28 am

PestMaster wrote:I am looking at buying either a "Bedourie" or an "Aussie Camp Oven" (Thanks mainly to your enthusiasm about camp ovens !)

Totally different shape to start with.

The Bedourie has the lid over the top. The advantage of this is that you can at anytime turn the lid over and use it as a frying pan. The sides are not as high as the Aussie so it is better for baking things like scones and muffins where you need a quick heat.

The Aussie has the lid turned up. The advantage of this is that you can fill it with coals and they won't fall off. Also in a breeze the coals are more protected. The disadvantage of that is the lid will get rather dirty and it would be difficult to use it as a frying pan. They also now have the rounded bottom that some people prefer if using it as a saucepan where a lot of stirring is involved.

If I was just buying one camp oven I would go for the 12" Bedourie. If I was buying two I would get a 12" Bedourie and the 10 inch Aussie.

Hint: To stop the coals falling of a Bedourie, get a small section of chain and make a ring with it around the top of the oven. :grin:

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Re: Derek - a question ?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:56 am

Derek wrote:
PestMaster wrote:I am looking at buying either a "Bedourie" or an "Aussie Camp Oven" (Thanks mainly to your enthusiasm about camp ovens !)

Totally different shape to start with.

If I was just buying one camp oven I would go for the 12" Bedourie. If I was buying two I would get a 12" Bedourie and the 10 inch Aussie.

Derek

I have 2 camp ovens, a 9 qt and 6 qt, both cast iron. Personally I cannot justify the cost of either the Bedourie or the Aussie for the AVERAGE camper who might be lucky enough to use it maybe a dozen times a year.

Yes Derek your situation is different, you earn an income with yours but like I said, for the average camper the standard cast iron ones do the job just as well.

In the overall scheme of things the weight of one camp oven which most people have is negligible especially when the difference in cost is quite considerable.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:35 am

Yes Derek your situation is different, you earn an income with yours but like I said, for the average camper the standard cast iron ones do the job just as well.

Ummmmmm. Thats not true. All of my camp oven cooking is done as a hobby. Yes I sometimes do cooking demonstrations but usually for nothing although I have been paid for some.

I am not sponsored by any company other than some that have sent me equipment to try out and report on. Both of my websites are paid for by myself and are not sponsored in any way. I do ask for donations if people want to but I have never received enough to cover the costs.

Then again I don't smoke and rarely drink so for me it's a very cost effective hobby. I am also a collector of cast iron camp ovens. Now that is an expensive hobby where I have paid over $500 for some of them.

Now if I could only make a reasonable income out of it I would be very happy indeed. Image

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:35 pm

Derek wrote:

Ummmmmm. Thats not true. All of my camp oven cooking is done as a hobby. Yes I sometimes do cooking demonstrations but usually for nothing although I have been paid for some.

Derek

Derek that is my mistake, I am sorry but you still have to admit that you would use your camp ovens heaps more (even if you only consider it a hobby) than the AVERAGE camper and that is the point I was trying to make.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:06 pm

This is my cooking table and it sits outside my back door where I do most of my cooking. Seems ages since I last used the oven in the house

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:27 pm

Derek wrote:This is my cooking table and it sits outside my back door where I do most of my cooking. Seems ages since I last used the oven in the house

Must cost you a fortune in heat beads.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:34 pm

I pay $12.00 for a 10 kilo bag at BigW. Lasts me around 4 or 5 weeks depending how much cooking I actually do.

However in saying that I see people at the checkout pay nearly that for a single packet of cigarettes. :***

No I don't dislike people who smoke, just doing the comparison in costs.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat