New Aussie Camp Ovens Released On The Market

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby Cruzin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi Derek

Do you still have these little beasts?

the chimney and the BBQ stand?

Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:21 pm

Yep

In fact I have made a holder for the BBQ and it sits inside my camper trailer. You took quite a few photos that day. :grin:

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Cruzin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:34 pm

:*** :***

Just trying to be "studious"
::()
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

CAMP OVEN LID

Postby HUSTLER » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi Derek,
I was thinking of buying a camp oven and was wondering if one could put heat beads in the base and turn the lid over and fry meat, bacon, onions, etc.
I assume one would have to put something between the lid and the bowl so air can keep the heat beads working??

Thx
CAMPING IS THE NEW BLACK
HUSTLER

Postby Komodo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:09 pm

I wouldnt put heat beats IN the camp oven as you'll burn the seasoning off.

You can cook on the lid by turning it upside down and placing it over coals or heat beads (I'm yet to use heat beads) cooking on it.
If you search around you will see a thread from my self talking of cooking on the camp oven lid on the australia day weekend just gone.

Derek do you know if the "starter chimney" is still available from webber AU or any one locally for that matter or do I have to look to fleebay
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:51 am

Komodo wrote:
Derek do you know if the "starter chimney" is still available from webber AU or any one locally for that matter or do I have to look to fleebay

You can save money Komodo and make your own, it only needs an old can, juice can or other with some mesh or similar in the bottom.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:31 pm

Hustler

As Komodo said, don't put heat beads inside the oven as it does no good. The lid makes an excellent frying pan.

Komodo

Heat Beads make a good one and they are usually available at Barbecues Galore. That is also where I got my Weber one from.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby AussieSunset » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:27 pm

I just scored a camp oven today. A 9qrt cast iron one by the weight of it and all seasoned ready to go. I got it for nothing so who's to grumble. It's my first one so I'm looking forward to trying it out when we finally get to go camping. Wouldn't mind trying it out at home first but i gather you need a fire or heat bead to do that.
I've been copying down so recipies to try, mainly damper and things like that.
So a happy day for me :+

Heather :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:22 pm

You can use the oven on a gas stove. Some people use them in a normal oven instead of a baking dish
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:15 am

They work really well in a normal oven actually. The only hassle is the weight of them makes them awkward to get in and out.

Thanks for the Tip derek I'll head up to BBQ galore some time in the next couple of weeks. Dont have much cash atm just bought a king size bed so I've had to get king size manchester man that stuff is pricey! So the chimney will have to wait a couple of weeks for the bank account to recover atm its in ICU.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:01 pm

AussieSunset wrote:I just scored a camp oven today. A 9qrt cast iron one by the weight of it and all seasoned ready to go. I got it for nothing so who's to grumble.
So a happy day for me :+

Heather :)

Lucky you and imagine the fun you are going to have with it. Happy camp oven cooking.

Cheers Gypsy..
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Derek - a question ?

Postby PestMaster » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:32 pm

gypsylady wrote:
PestMaster wrote:
OK, then lets see....
if I am an average user who uses the oven 12 times per year and as Derek say I can have 30 trouble free years with my oven, that would make $65 (cost of oven - delivered) divided by 360 (number of uses) = $0.18 per use.

:+

And how much would that equate to if you only paid $20 for the camp oven??

AND one has to come up with the money in the first instance, not 30 years down the track.

O.K, Gypsy Lady, so I couldn't wait till I raised the money for a Hillbilly camp oven set. Went out and bought a Anaconda cheapie on 40% off sale. Cost me $12 for a 10inch c/o.
Tried it out last weekend with Damper on Friday night and a Chicken and vegies on Sunday... Just tastes great ! At $12 I'm a very happy camper. Cheers Gypsy Lady
PestMaster
Boy Scout

Re: Derek - a question ?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:03 am

PestMaster wrote:
O.K, Gypsy Lady, so I couldn't wait till I raised the money for a Hillbilly camp oven set. Went out and bought a Anaconda cheapie on 40% off sale. Cost me $12 for a 10inch c/o.
Tried it out last weekend with Damper on Friday night and a Chicken and vegies on Sunday... Just tastes great ! At $12 I'm a very happy camper.

Got my vote Pestmaster and CONGRATULATIONS. I am positive you are going to have some great times with your new toy... and some fabulous meals too.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat