New Aussie Camp Ovens Released On The Market

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:41 pm

Derek wrote:I pay $12.00 for a 10 kilo bag at BigW. Lasts me around 4 or 5 weeks depending how much cooking I actually do.


No I don't dislike people who smoke, just doing the comparison in costs.



Gee I do. I have never smoked in my life but I have emphysema (from passive smoking) so I am very much against people smoking, especially in my company.

Fortunately for me, none of my immediate friends smoke.
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Postby will_deness » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:46 pm

I like smoked meats :***
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Ipswich SEQ

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:47 pm

I to have never smoked but my Mum & Dad were both chain smokers and just about ever since I can remember I hated the smell of it. Mum's life was cut short because of it.

As far as I am concerned people can do what ever they want to their own bodies as long as it doesn't affect others. However in your case it has affected you and that just isn't right.

I am sorry to hear that because I have first hand knowledge of it.

Cheers


Derek
Image
User avatar
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: Karana Downs, Queensland

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:01 pm

will_deness wrote:I like smoked meats :***


Thanks Will, you made me laugh. BTW so do I and cheese too
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:05 pm

Derek wrote:I to have never smoked but my Mum & Dad were both chain smokers and just about ever since I can remember I hated the smell of it. Mum's life was cut short because of it.

As far as I am concerned people can do what ever they want to their own bodies as long as it doesn't affect others. However in your case it has affected you and that just isn't right.

I am sorry to hear that because I have first hand knowledge of it.

Cheers


Derek


I can identify with how you felt about your parents smoking, my mother smoked very heavily too. In fact she smoked so much that I would not sit next to her on the train because I felt so embarassed.

Cheers...
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Re: Derek - a question ?

Postby PestMaster » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Personally I cannot justify the cost of either the Bedourie or the Aussie for the AVERAGE camper who might be lucky enough to use it maybe a dozen times a year.


OK, then lets see....
if I am an average user who uses the oven 12 times per year and as Derek say I can have 30 trouble free years with my oven, that would make $65 (cost of oven - delivered) divided by 360 (number of uses) = $0.18 per use.
Not much in my humble opinion. I suppose a lot depends if you like to have a work out before your meal or not LOL

Derek, I love the idea of the chain on the lid :+
PestMaster
Boy Scout
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Brisbane

Postby will_deness » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:56 pm

Buy quality and it pays for it self sooner or later. thats what I always found, buying crap quality usually means replacing sooner than later.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Ipswich SEQ

Re: Derek - a question ?

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:57 pm

PestMaster wrote:
Personally I cannot justify the cost of either the Bedourie or the Aussie for the AVERAGE camper who might be lucky enough to use it maybe a dozen times a year.


OK, then lets see....
if I am an average user who uses the oven 12 times per year and as Derek say I can have 30 trouble free years with my oven, that would make $65 (cost of oven - delivered) divided by 360 (number of uses) = $0.18 per use.
Not much in my humble opinion. I suppose a lot depends if you like to have a work out before your meal or not LOL

Derek, I love the idea of the chain on the lid :+


I hope you took into account your depreciation costs in that SPAMER :***

Woooooooooooo. Where it says SPAMER is the original word a n a l y s i s Must be a bad word that spammers use. :?#
Image
User avatar
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: Karana Downs, Queensland

Re: Derek - a question ?

Postby PestMaster » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:04 pm

Derek wrote:
PestMaster wrote:
Personally I cannot justify the cost of either the Bedourie or the Aussie for the AVERAGE camper who might be lucky enough to use it maybe a dozen times a year.


OK, then lets see....
if I am an average user who uses the oven 12 times per year and as Derek say I can have 30 trouble free years with my oven, that would make $65 (cost of oven - delivered) divided by 360 (number of uses) = $0.18 per use.
Not much in my humble opinion. I suppose a lot depends if you like to have a work out before your meal or not LOL

Derek, I love the idea of the chain on the lid :+


I hope you took into account your depreciation costs in that SPAMER :***

Woooooooooooo. Where it says SPAMER is the original word a n a l y s i s Must be a bad word that spammers use. :?#


Derek, I would of thought the ovens get better with age, therefore, no depreciation LOL
PestMaster
Boy Scout
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Brisbane

Postby Troyk » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:06 pm

will_deness wrote:I like smoked meats :***


A few weks ago Thommo on Creek To Coast smoked some sausages in a camp oven.

Boiled them first, this was to remove the fat as it will intefere with the smoking. He then spinkled some wood shaving in the bottom of a camp oven, put the divet in the oven and place the sausages on the divet and then put them on the fire.

I am thinking about giving it a go.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
User avatar
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Somewhere Else!

Re: Derek - a question ?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:16 pm

PestMaster wrote:
OK, then lets see....
if I am an average user who uses the oven 12 times per year and as Derek say I can have 30 trouble free years with my oven, that would make $65 (cost of oven - delivered) divided by 360 (number of uses) = $0.18 per use.


:+


And how much would that equate to if you only paid $20 for the camp oven??

AND one has to come up with the money in the first instance, not 30 years down the track.
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:19 pm

will_deness wrote:Buy quality and it pays for it self sooner or later. thats what I always found, buying crap quality usually means replacing sooner than later.


What makes you think that the cast iron camp ovens are crap Will??

It was my understanding that the only reason they might be discounted as an option was because of their weight, not because they were inferior.
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Postby will_deness » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:42 pm

gypsylady wrote:
will_deness wrote:Buy quality and it pays for it self sooner or later. thats what I always found, buying crap quality usually means replacing sooner than later.


What makes you think that the cast iron camp ovens are crap Will??

It was my understanding that the only reason they might be discounted as an option was because of their weight, not because they were inferior.

My quote was a response to the post above mine. I prolly should have quoted it. Also it was a general sort of statement regarding the cost over a long period of time not a statement of cast iron versus steel. Btw I was camping at girraween once and the site we were at had a busted cast iron pot laying around. So you can get inferior quality cast iron ovens.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Ipswich SEQ

Re: Derek - a question ?

Postby PestMaster » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:49 pm

gypsylady wrote:
PestMaster wrote:
OK, then lets see....
if I am an average user who uses the oven 12 times per year and as Derek say I can have 30 trouble free years with my oven, that would make $65 (cost of oven - delivered) divided by 360 (number of uses) = $0.18 per use.


:+


And how much would that equate to if you only paid $20 for the camp oven??

AND one has to come up with the money in the first instance, not 30 years down the track.


Approx $0.055 i believe.
Isn't it great that we all have freedom of choice, otherwise, we'd all have the same camp oven LOL
PestMaster
Boy Scout
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Brisbane

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:37 pm

Broken cast iron cam ovens are generally from miss use. The two mains ones being:

1. Pouring cold water in them while they are hot

2. Dropping them while hot or even cold but they break easier if hot

Like Gypsy Lady I have two similar sized cast iron camp ovens, no doubt made in China or Taiwan and they have been with me for many years and still get used today. I think I paid $19.00 for the big one.

The original Bedourie Oven was made specifically for the folk on the Bedourie Station in Western Queensland. The story goes that they got tired of heavy cast iron camp ovens falling off pack horses and getting broken so they commissioned someone to make one that wouldn't break. Whoever it was came up with a steel camp oven.

I was once told the story of how they got the name Dr Livingstone a long time ago but can't recall it.

In all honesty as much as I love my Bedourie and Aussie camp ovens at the end of the day a cast iron oven is much easier to cook with.

I learned to cook in a Bedourie camp oven so spun steel ovens seem natural to me.


Derek
Image
User avatar
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: Karana Downs, Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron