UHF radio advice needed ASAP

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

UHF radio advice needed ASAP

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:56 pm

I am heading back up to Qld tomorrow from Victoria. I had a UHF radio re-installed in the car and cannot remember what channel to have it set on, from memory I think it was channel 40.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
I absolutely love downunder and want to see all of it, especially the outback
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Channel 40 is for trucks if that's what you want to listen to although from Newcastle to Brisbane on the Pacific Hwy (only) it is Channel 29.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:17 pm

I have noticed that a lot of caravaner's have UHF Channel 18 printed on the back of their vans.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Kramer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:36 pm

Caravans use 18 and the truckies use 40, the truckies are usually on the ball with what is going on the road.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:44 pm

The truckies are on the ball the language can be a bit blue.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:06 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:The truckies are on the ball the language can be a bit blue.

Yep it can be colourful. When I got my handheld, I turned it on for one trip and there was a conservation between a man and a woman. It took me a few seconds to realise what they were tlaking about and I quickly turned it off.

Last thing I wanted was the kids asking what kind of job she was going to do for $50. ::()

Just leave it off these days.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Re: UHF radio advice needed ASAP

Postby ScottyB » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:20 pm

mystical_aussiegal wrote:I am heading back up to Qld tomorrow from Victoria. I had a UHF radio re-installed in the car and cannot remember what channel to have it set on, from memory I think it was channel 40.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

You should have a scan feature on your UHF which picks up basically anything within your range on any channel.

Channel 40 gives you the trucks. That is handy as they will let you know where there are any problems, and at night if you hear them nice and clear about to overtake another truck, take your foot off the accelerator and be prepared to brake coming up to the next bend....it may save your life.

They will also tell you where every cop car, and anything that looks like a cop car, is sitting. My advice is don't speed, wear your seatbelt, dont drink and drive, and have plenty of rest stops, and you wont need to know where the cops are sitting. 8)
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:54 pm

Always though 10 was road calling channel. And 8 was for emergencies... or is it the other way around?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Troyk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:04 pm

I thought 5 and 35 are emergencies.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Art » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Thought you could only use repeaters up to channel 8 or 9...
A decent unit will scan all chennels anyway.
"Boy Scout" my Ass, I Climb Mountains Baby!
Art
Captain Camping

Postby Golden_Daydreamer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:13 am

Art wrote:Thought you could only use repeaters up to channel 8 or 9...
A decent unit will scan all chennels anyway.

Channels 1 to 8 are the output of the repeaters. Channels 31 to 38 are the input (what the repeaters listen on) of the repeaters.

e.g. Say you're on channel 1 in Repeater Mode and hit the "push to talk" button. You are actually transmitting on channel 31. If a channel 1 - 31 repeater is in range, that repeater receives your signal and re-transmits it on channel 1.

For that reason, it is better to stay off any channel between 31 and 38 if you are in Simplex Mode.

I hope I haven't confused you too much. My last legal call sign was VDY739.
Cheers,
Henry (Golden_Daydreamer)

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.
Golden_Daydreamer
Camping King

Postby Cruzin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:46 am

This maybe of interest

Channels ================= Use
1-8 & 31-38 (by law) -Repeaters- In duplex mode, repeaters need two channels to work. Receives on 1 to 8. Transmits on 31 to 38 (automatically). When within range of a repeater, it will increase the communications distance. Operation in simplex mode on these channels is not permitted when within range of a repeater

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5 (by law) -Emergency only- Can be used by anyone in an emergency situation ONLY

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 (by law) -Calling Only- To call or locate another station. Parties then switch to a conversation channel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 -4WDrivers- Used by 4WD enthusiasts, clubs, convoys and in national parks

18 -Caravans /Campers- Holiday Maker’s communication channel, e.g., when in convoy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 (by law) -Calling- To call or locate another station. Parties then switch to a conversation channel

9, 12-17, 19-21 -Conversations- General between stations
24-30 & 39

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
22, 23 (by law) -Data Transmission- No voice transmissions allowed on these two channels

40 -Hwy Comms- Mainly used by Truck Drivers and other Highway users
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:04 pm

Thankyou for all the responses, unfortunately, after I made that posting, the server went down and I was not able to read any responses.

I am in Qld now, did have my radio on channel 40 ... and thank God I did have it as it was needed. I had car problems and I cannot thank the truckies enough for the support and assistance they gave me.

I also know I will never travel distance on my own without my UHF radio :+
I absolutely love downunder and want to see all of it, especially the outback
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:01 pm

Well thats good news!

And golden_daydreamer that must have been a while ago? arent all the new call signs VKS ? or am I getting confused?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:39 pm

mystical_aussiegal wrote:
I am in Qld now, did have my radio on channel 40 ... and thank God I did have it as it was needed. I had car problems and I cannot thank the truckies enough for the support and assistance they gave me.

I also know I will never travel distance on my own without my UHF radio :+

Well thank heavens aussiegal, you made the trip safely. I am pleased to hear you are finally back home and in one piece. Now all the good stuff begins.

I know I do not like the language on ch 40 but I must admit I never travel without it, just have to adjust the volume way down sometimes.

There was a time once when you could come on the chanel and ask the guys to tone it down a bit please?? Unfortunately most times these days the only response you often get now is more abuse.

Again good to here you are here and safe.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat