UHF radio advice needed ASAP

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby Golden_Daydreamer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:33 pm

Komodo wrote:And golden_daydreamer that must have been a while ago? arent all the new call signs VKS ? or am I getting confused?

It was a few years ago. I have had 3 legal call signs. VAV234, VDC712, and VDY739.

27 Mhz CB became legal mid 1977. I got my first CB (a 23 channel AM) at the end of 1977. In the end the government stopped issuing individual licences in the '80s or '90s possibly due to too many unlicenced operators.

I am not up to date on current laws and had no idea that there were legal data channels on UHF.
Cheers,
Henry (Golden_Daydreamer)

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.
Golden_Daydreamer
Camping King

Postby jollyroger » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:37 pm

The problem with channel 40 now is that the morons from channel 1 the general chat channel have come over to ch 40 to find someone else to annoy or block the channel with carrier.
It only happens in the city areas and is very annoying when you want some info. Most truckies will use 38 or 39 now in the Adelaide area thanks to these SOB's.

I have a Uniden GPS/UHF. It has a GPS unit built in. It's great when my mate who has the same unit -his name pops up and tells me what directions he is, how far away he is, how long it will take me to get to him in km's and time at my current speed. Other than that it's great for 5watt unit I installed myself all for a tad over $300 (legally).
It's only an entry level GPS but it's useful!
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby cokebottle » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:40 am

jollyroger wrote:It's only an entry level GPS but it's useful!

Wow! I have seen those units before & always thought they were just a gimmick, so they actually work ok, what sort of accuracy?

I have been playing around with cb since I was about 12 yrs old (41 now) so I thought I had seen it all :shock:

You mentioned the dead beats on uhf, same here in Sydney :( I will no longer have the radio on when the kids are in the car, because of all the crap on air, it's a shame really because in the good old days you could actually have a good conversation, now all you hear is death threats & abuse :?

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby jollyroger » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:55 am

It's a nifty little unit. It has all the red light and fixed speed camera locations with warnings. You can enter new ones as they pop up.
It has speed display and trip metre and loactions of all over Aus.
It will tell you how long it will take you to get to location "A" with kms and time at the current speed you are travelling. The only problem with this part is it will tell how long to get there in a straight line.

I was at Port Wakefield and was going to Whyalla the unit said Whyalla is only 217km west (straight acrossd the Gulf). Now Whyalla by road from there is well over 300km. It will recalculate as you go along.

The display is not in wonderful colour like the schmick new ones it has various display modes one with a compass which is deadly accurate.
I wanted a GPS and a UHF. For well over a grand for a stand alone GPS and nearly $400 for a UHF seperately - I thought what a good way to combine them both. I would still love to have stand alone GPS for voice directions and the visual maps.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:20 pm

~ ~ ~ Thankyou Gypsylady.

I havnt logged in here since my last posting as I have been busy catching up with friends, learning my way around again after 5 yrs ..

I feel like I am in a time warp!! lol

I am going camping this weekend and just brought a new tent, I cant season it though as we cannot use hoses due to the drought, have been bucketing water over it.
I absolutely love downunder and want to see all of it, especially the outback
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:28 pm

mystical_aussiegal wrote:~ ~ ~ Thankyou Gypsylady.

I havnt logged in here since my last posting as I have been busy catching up with friends, learning my way around again after 5 yrs ..

I feel like I am in a time warp!! lol

I am going camping this weekend and just brought a new tent, I cant season it though as we cannot use hoses due to the drought, have been bucketing water over it.

Is it made of canvas??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat