Do you put a tarp over your camp

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Do you put a tarp over your camp??

Poll ended at Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:44 pm

Yes
38%
No
57%
Sometimes
5%

Total votes : 21

Do you put a tarp over your camp

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:44 pm

Here is another question that I get asked on a regular basis and as I seem to be on a roll let's see what forum members do.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby HGMonaro » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:53 am

no/yes. Haven't used the tent in rain (we'd probably decide to go home!) and the wind-up camper has bed end flys which we errect if there's a chance of rain or it's hot (as as a shade)
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Komodo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:08 pm

Yes - normally just over the meals/kitchen area though sometimes over the tent - depends on how long we are camping for
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:49 pm

HGMonaro wrote:no/yes. Haven't used the tent in rain (we'd probably decide to go home!) and the wind-up camper has bed end flys which we errect if there's a chance of rain or it's hot (as as a shade)

Well I think that answer would be 'sometimes'
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

no cover for me!

Postby Frilly » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:19 am

No I don't use a tarp over my camp... as yet haven't found the need! Spent 7 days in full rain and wind on the side of a hill at Woodford over Christmas and I was dry and very comfortable in my Coleman tent. I believe its down to the individuals and what they want... my brother in law and his family have competitions on the best 'tarpage' one can achieve!!! Hehe
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Re: no cover for me!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:12 am

Frilly wrote:No I don't use a tarp over my camp... as yet haven't found the need! Spent 7 days in full rain and wind on the side of a hill at Woodford over Christmas and I was dry and very comfortable in my Coleman tent. I believe its down to the individuals and what they want... my brother in law and his family have competitions on the best 'tarpage' one can achieve!!! Hehe

You are right it is definitely a choice thing and I use a tarp over on every camp and never for rain. I use it in summer for coolness and winter for warmth.

Would love to see your BIL and his family comps.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:33 pm

thats my setup.

I picked that tarp with all the poles / ropes / pegs up at k-mart for about $40 since then ive upgraded the pegs to decent units for about $10 and added springs to the guy ropes so it withstands more wind without pulling out the pegs. works really really well especially for $60 all up.

I am looking to upgrade to a larger tarp and keep this one just to setup over the main tent (keep it cooler in the summer and warmer / drier in the winter.

I also have a small poly tarp i bought from bunning or kmart for a few dollars which I use as a "shower" screen when we are bush camping for extended periods. I also use it to protect the interior of the car when transporting firewood etc. I probably should replace this one soon as its starting to show signs of its abused lifestyle LOL. I might one day get a proper shower tent one day - but that depends on if i go a glind style water exchange or a coleman gas hot water system (im slowly being swayed towards the coleman)
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby ChallengeLee » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:34 pm

I don't use a tarp for over my tent (has done real well in inclement weather so far) but l do use an awning for my kitchen setup, this is quite portable so if need be l could use it over my tent as well just chose not too.

ChallengeLee
Camping Veteran

Postby CCC » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:05 am

great set ups guys :armsup
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:26 am

Komodo wrote:Image
thats my setup.

I picked that tarp with all the poles / ropes / pegs up at k-mart for about $40 since then ive upgraded the pegs to decent units for about $10 and added springs to the guy ropes so it withstands more wind without pulling out the pegs. works really really well especially for $60 all up.

I am looking to upgrade to a larger tarp and keep this one just to setup over the main tent (keep it cooler in the summer and warmer / drier in the winter.

I also have a small poly tarp i bought from bunning or kmart for a few dollars which I use as a "shower" screen when we are bush camping for extended periods. I also use it to protect the interior of the car when transporting firewood etc. I probably should replace this one soon as its starting to show signs of its abused lifestyle LOL. I might one day get a proper shower tent one day - but that depends on if i go a glind style water exchange or a coleman gas hot water system (im slowly being swayed towards the coleman)

Will check out your pic from home Komodo as I do not have that acccess from work.

I have a shower tent, actually I have 3 but I only use one and have just purcased a new one recently as back up. Still have not used it.

I have a piece of canvas probably about 6 x 8 as protection for the back of the car.

I too have a couple of extra smaller tarps 6 x 8 (1 durarig; 1 ultrarig) that I use for a variety of other applications as required.

I am also looking to upgrade to a 30 x 20 to cover the CT and annex as the 20 x 24 that I currently use is just a little shy for total coverage. It is fine when I do not set up the annex.

I suppose if I was to be totally honest I would probably say I have a bit of a addiction for tarps, I have a bit of a collection from over the years. Actually I have an addiction for all things camping really, can't stay away from the camping stores.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:52 pm

Komodo wrote:

I might one day get a proper shower tent one day - but that depends on if i go a glind style water exchange or a coleman gas hot water system (im slowly being swayed towards the coleman)

Had a look Komodo and I reckon you definitely need to go tarp over the tent for some applications or alternatively put the tent close enough so that the door opens under the tarp. When you upgrade you might be able to incorporate this idea with the new tarp.

When I was tenting (dome tent) I always put up an 18 x 20 in those days and set up the end of the tent so that when it was open it was under the tarp. Did not matter if it rained I could come and go as I/we pleased. Dont have to close up the whole tent when it is raining either.

Probably the ultimate would be to set the tent up completely under the tarp and still have sufficient room to have your kitchen, sitting area etc.

This is what I do with the CT and why I want the 20 x 30 tarp. The 20 x 24 does it but it is a bit shy on the ends.

Re the Coleman hot water, sorry but I (personal opinion here) can't justify the cost for some hot water when I can just as easily put the billy on the stove or even the fire if I have one. Apart from the cost it also means carrying an extra gas bottle and if the reports I get on them are correct, they are fairly gas hungry.

I do also have both a 20 litre and a 60 litre donkey for the fire if need be but it depends on how many people are camping as to which one I take, if either.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:56 am

Gypsy I think the idea of the coleman is that in many situations a donkey cannot be used due the increasing number of places fires arent permitted. Also boiling water on a stove isnt very efficient use of gas either (large TSA means that a LOT of kJ are required to increase the temperature and that amount of energy increases with every extra degree)
So I assume that the coleman may use a lot of gas BUT it may be that people are using hot water more because they have it easily accessable. Also the Coleman (as opposed to the primus) can use the disposable self sealing type gas cannisters so transporting of gas really isnt an issue unless you are doing an extended trip to remote country - in which case a glind / helton / power shower heat exchange type setup may be more suited - or possibly even a donkey if you have the room and are base camping.

On another note, normally I do set the tent up as you suggested so that the opening is closer to the tarp or in fact so that the vestibule is actually under the tarp. That site in gippsland (abberfieldy) didn't allow for that because of the size of the site. I believe that that site is non-existant now due to the fires and then the floods which would have had that site about 5 mtrs under water. I know that the 4x4 track to that area was closed still late last year and I am unsure if it has been reopened yet. But I think I will take your suggestion of a larger tarp or possibly two smaller tarps (for a more flexible setup).

But first things first and its time to replace the dome with a touring style tent (im leaning towards the ultimate deluxe from southern cross canvas - you cant compare the quality of the locally made tourers to the likes of the oz trail etc which are made overseas from inferior canvas). My dome tore on the weekend where the poles insert into the fly.

ChallengeLee is that tent the Carribee Kestral 4? mine you may have noticed is the Carribee Challenge 4 which is sadly no longer available (though I still have a spare)
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:23 am

Komodo wrote:Gypsy I think the idea of the coleman is that in many situations a donkey cannot be used due the increasing number of places fires arent permitted. Also boiling water on a stove isnt very efficient use of gas either (large TSA means that a LOT of kJ are required to increase the temperature and that amount of energy increases with every extra degree)
So I assume that the coleman may use a lot of gas BUT it may be that people are using hot water more because they have it easily accessable. Also the Coleman (as opposed to the primus) can use the disposable self sealing type gas cannisters so transporting of gas really isnt an issue unless you are doing an extended trip to remote country - in which case a glind / helton / power shower heat exchange type setup may be more suited - or possibly even a donkey if you have the room and are base camping.

Komodo, the donkey is only ever used in a situation where we have a fire (usually bush camping) and sufficient numbers to warrant using. And yes it is only used when base camping which is mostly what I do these days.

Most of the time I just heat a billy on the stove and it only needs to be heated, not boiled and that provides enough water (combined with cold water in a bucket) for 2 of us to have a shower.

You put up a reasonable argument but I am not convinced, a gas hot water service is definitely something I can live without.

Do you have Coleman seconds outlet down your way at all?? I understand you can purchase products from them for far less cost that the normal retail outlets.

I know there is one in the Sydney regions somewhere but have no idea if they are located elsewhere as well. Might be worth looking into.

Cheers....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:39 am

I'll have a look but AFAIK there is only the one in Sydney.

Dont get me wrong Gypsy I definately dont think the gas HWS is for every one but for me I think it suits my needs.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:48 am

Komodo wrote:I'll have a look but AFAIK there is only the one in Sydney.

That is a pity....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat