Australia Day weekend (reports)

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Australia Day weekend (reports)

Postby Komodo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:55 pm

So what did every one get upto for Australia day weekend

Kel and I took advantage of the 3 day weekend to get away and head up the the grampians. We stayed at Bomjinna camp gound on the mitchel track between moyston and halls gap.
Its a small camp ground (2 groups MAX) with a his and hers CLEAN drop toilets. 2 fire pits and parking for upto 4 cars.
You wouldnt get a camper trailer or caravan in to the site.
Plenty of walking tracks are re-opening in the area many of which have been closed since the '06 fires (of which there is still very strong evidence of particularly in some areas which are only JUST starting to revegitate)
We did a quick drive in to halls gap and visited the bakery then went up to lake wartook and drove around to the back end and down a small / short soft roader track to a "beach" area and had a picnic.
After lunch we did a bit of sight seeing around and headed back to camp. Great spot and Kel and I will be heading back there soon. Only let downs for it really are that there is no water in any of the rivers around (the lakes all have a fair amount in them though) and that maps of the area are full of errors...
http://www.street-directory.com.au/sd_n ... 4526105061
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby kazzakanary » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:10 pm

We went 4Wdriving around Mount Mee - found a cute little camp site called Archer's (I think) - had a GORGEOUS swimming hole - I went in with boardies and bra!! :shock:
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:15 pm

For the first time in umpteen years Mrs Bravo and I stayed home on a long weekend. Decided to wait an week and I'll go up to Laurieton to see my Dad. Don't have to worry about long weekend traffic ever again :booty
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:30 pm

I went to the beach, it was packed, got sunburnt, had a ball :armsup

No pics. I don't think your allowed to take them on public beaches anymore :?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Troyk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:45 pm

Just watched Haydo, punter and pup score tons! :beer
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby SMP » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:10 pm

Komodo, worked over the weekend but spent ten days at the Gramps in the new year. We also found that liitle spot at the back of lake Wartook and had a picnic and a game of cricket. I can see why camping is prohibited there. It would be packed. Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:14 am

I reacon your spot on their SMP regarding the camping. It is a beautiful spot though. I quiet often head upto wartook around november to go trout fishing. Havent been up the last 2 years though due to work commitments. Plus its a bit hard for both dad and I to get time off together to go away together any more which is a shame :( - the joys of a family business eh!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:11 pm

Had a party on Saturday for the Hottest 100 so Sunday was a write off then on Monday we went for a drive around the back of Eurimbula national park couldn't get too far due to high tides :(
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby stevo. » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:28 pm

Went to Landcruiser Parks Australia Day Fun Weekend.....

here's a copy of what i typed on our suzuki forum....

Saturday morning, feeling like crap from all the alcomahol sneaky forced me to drink the night before, we took off to the pig pen for a test drive and broke a front spring on the first bump, so we returned to camp. Matt (cut4b) arrived later and offered a set of springs he had at his house in Gympie, so i went for the 1 1/2 hour drive down through Mt Buggery / Imbil/ Gympie, then back again, installed the spring and by that time we had to head off to the night hill drags, which was pretty impressive to see lots of crazy people going flat out in V8s up a hil out of control, well it looked like that anyway. And it must have been the biggest gathering of rednecks in the crowd for Qld that day. Just joking, 99% of the people were very nice. It's amazing how people think they can go flat out down the road at night with people everywhere and think that's ok?

Sunday came and we were off to Coopers Stadium, skinnyman went navi for cut4b and sneakyzook from here volunteered to be my victom, i mean navi. Navis werent required but it sounded like fun. Unfortunatley we were second last on the running order so had to wait ages.

There was 5 stages held throughout the day, using different tracks and different distances. Some were very rough but we had a blast and had quite a few close calls, i'm sure we spent most of the time on one wheel. Sneaky was very good as a navi providing great motivation, with the GO GO GO, BRAKE!!! SHIIIIT!! GO GO GO!! and we were pissing ourselves laughing for most of the tracks. We were a but slow on the uphills as the carby spluttered a bit on the bumps but we completed all the stages. The last stage the front shocks finally gave out and we lost a bit of control with the bouncing so we backed off and cruised to the finish. Most of the stages were out of sight to spectators and we were driving around in the middle of no where with no one around at all.

cut4b and skinnyman slammed in to a hidden ditch at 300ks (possibly slower) an hour and mashed up the front end a bit, bent up both springs and the tyres pushed the side guards out. So that was the end of their day.

Over all it was an awesome weekend and i had a ball with plenty of laughs in and off the tracks.

my white suzuki

matts

matts bent srings
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Return to General Chit-Chat