What is the best mozzie & fly repellent?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

What do use for mozzie & or fly repellent?

Aeroguard
57%
Citronella candles
No votes
Vitamin b
No votes
Portable mozzie zapper
No votes
Combinations of above
43%

Total votes : 7

What is the best mozzie & fly repellent?

Postby cokebottle » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:55 pm

What have you found works best to keep away mozzies & flys? I use Aeroguard mostly & last time I went camping I lit a few citronella candles on the table to keep the mozzies away.

I searched on here for tips & found a thread about taking vitamin b, what I would also like to know is if anyone has used a portable bug zapper, do they work?

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby amanda » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:14 pm

Best personal insect repellant is Bushmans - not only deters mozzies, but more importantly sandflies and midgies.

Best thing I've found for the campsite is the cheap mozzie coils you buy at the supermarket. I put a few under the tables where we're sitting and it makes a huge difference, and for around $2 for a pack of 6 it's a bargain.

The Mortein things they advertise that place a 5m "shield" around you are good, however the inserts (which are the active part) don't last terribly long and are relatively expensive to keep replacing.

My mother has a portable bug zapper that runs on electricity - while it's pretty good the noise of the insects getting zapped all the time is a bit on the annoying side.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby skip » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:14 pm

i know its not up there but i have used "off" its quite affective. it smells good to as compared to the other repellents on the market.
skip
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:15 pm

I'd forgotten about "Off". I agree, it's quite good and the smell doesn't get literally "up your nose".
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Komodo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:44 pm

I voted for aeroguard but I use either bushman or aeroguard either work relatively well.
The coils are good but I always for get to grab them and I find they easily break and therefore dont burn down well. havent used a portable zapper but we have one at my parents holiday house which is left on pretty much from november to february it works well but the noise can get very annoying particularly is there is a large hatch. The other thing is that if you actually read the instructions that come with these bug zappers you are actually supposed to leave them on for at least a week prior to requiring them ie if you are having a bbq with freind on saturday you need to have turned it on a week before to stop the breeding cycle - well thats the theory any way
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ponga » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:59 pm

All of the above; I simply can't have enough weapons to combat the little blighters.

We use the coils out on the deck at home since they are cheap as chips.

We also have a Raid Outdoor Mossie lamp, same as the Mortein one that Amanda describes, the refills and candles are so damned expensive though, its no good as a long term solution. We took it away camping at the weekend and put it on the table outside because I don't mind paying $10 for three nights usage, for a short term solution.

Only just recently we tried the Aerogard roll-on 'Tropical Strength' on a trip to Vanuatu and it was excellent, no bites in a whole ten days and it doesn't stink, so that's my choice for the moment.

We also use lots of citronella candles and a citronella oil burner, but really don't think thay have any effect, other than to look pretty.

Lots of people swear by Avon's Skin-So-Soft cream and Marmite* for the Vitamin B.

* Note to self: Eat the Marmite, do not rub it on your skin :--?
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Postby will_deness » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:38 am

Ponga wrote:All of the above; I simply can't have enough weapons to combat the little blighters.

We use the coils out on the deck at home since they are cheap as chips.

We also have a Raid Outdoor Mossie lamp, same as the Mortein one that Amanda describes, the refills and candles are so damned expensive though, its no good as a long term solution. We took it away camping at the weekend and put it on the table outside because I don't mind paying $10 for three nights usage, for a short term solution.

Only just recently we tried the Aerogard roll-on 'Tropical Strength' on a trip to Vanuatu and it was excellent, no bites in a whole ten days and it doesn't stink, so that's my choice for the moment.

We also use lots of citronella candles and a citronella oil burner, but really don't think thay have any effect, other than to look pretty.

Lots of people swear by Avon's Skin-So-Soft cream and Marmite* for the Vitamin B.

* Note to self: Eat the Marmite, do not rub it on your skin :--?

Sounds like your really into WMD's (weapons of mozzie destruction) :***
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby AussieSunset » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:31 pm

I like the Avon skin-so-soft bug / spf 30 sunscreen. 2 for the price of one. I also like the coils. They are cheap and you can put plenty out and around to keep the little biters away. I have used the citronella candles but found they kept going out even with a slight breeze.

If i ran out of the above, i have used any body spray and purfume/aftershave as it masks the scent for mozzies.
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Ponga » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:43 pm

will_deness wrote:Sounds like your really into WMD's (weapons of mozzie destruction) :***

Yet somehow I still manage to get bitten almost every day :roll:
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Postby Blue Bravo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:36 pm

If you read the fine print on Bushmans etc they tell you they keep of stinging insects. There is nothing that keeps off the good old Aussie bushfly. For this we use the head nets. Just remember to lift same before eating a sandwich or blowing your nose :--?
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:03 pm

a big smokey camp fire works great too :beer
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Troyk » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:30 am

meeky wrote:a big smokey camp fire works great too :beer

with plenty of cow pats! :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Re: What is the best mozzie & fly repellent?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:20 pm

cokebottle wrote:What have you found works best to keep away mozzies & flys? I use Aeroguard mostly & last time I went camping I lit a few citronella candles on the table to keep the mozzies away.

I searched on here for tips & found a thread about taking vitamin b, what I would also like to know is if anyone has used a portable bug zapper, do they work?

Michael

Hi Michael

It seems that vitamin B does not work for everyone and it is my understanding that it is only recommended for sandflies.

I have 2 things that I use regularly and neither of them are mentioned in the poll.

The first one is a Robocan which comes in both an indoor version and an outdoor one. http://robocan.com.au/

When activated the can dispenses a short burst of spay into the air every 30 seconds or so and targets an array of different pests. It is a natural product and apparently quite harmless to humans and pets alike.

I turn mine on about 30 minutes before preaparing a meal and it definitely keeps the flys away. You can use it for as long as you feel the need.

I have had my outdoor Robocan for 2 years and am still on the original can. I use it regularly when camping.

They are available in most hardware stores and I purchased mine from Bunnings. The outdoor one cost about $59 and the refill is about $22 and when you consider that I am still on my original can, the cost is not so great.

The indoor versions are a bit more expensive and do shop around as I have seen them in some places for as much as $169.00, the very same product.

The second one is a fly trap which I use when camping for a longer period of time. I am sure most of you have seen them in sores, it is a plastic jar with a yellow screw top.

I have seen the flys queuing up to get inside this jar and one activant will easily last 2 weeks though you may have to partically empty the jar if it fills before that time especially if you do not want to use another activant. It will also need topping up with water from time to time.

I paid $6.95 for mine from Coles supermarket but I now see them regularly in Bunnings and BigW for $9.95. Again shop around as I have also seen them in Mitre 10 for $16.95

The activant when mixed with 1/2 cup warm water will take about 24 hours to become active. It is best placed in a sunny position downwind of the camp about 45-50 cms from the ground.

I usually suspend mine between the 2 corner ropes from a bungee cord.

I can thoroughly recommend both these products.

Cheers Gypsy....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: What is the best mozzie & fly repellent?

Postby Ponga » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:02 pm

gypsylady wrote:[The first one is a Robocan which comes in both an indoor version and an outdoor one. http://robocan.com.au/

When activated the can dispenses a short burst of spay into the air every 30 seconds or so and targets an array of different pests. It is a natural product and apparently quite harmless to humans and pets alike.

I have one of the indoor ones too and wouldn't be without mine, there are two different versions of the refills, one has blue coloured packaging, the other green. It is only the green one that is a 100% natural 'pyrethrum', the cheaper blue one is a blend of natural and synthetic chemicals.

I forget about it most of the time, it just does it's job until I realise the battery or the can needs replacing. Ours is fixed to the wall, but other friends of ours leave it free standing and move it around to wherever it's needed.
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Postby will_deness » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:16 am

At home I use the flytrap for the flies, I found I dont need to use the attractent every time I empty it. I simply just half empty thr flies out and add some more water and it still works great. for mozzies and night time insects I have a working agrrement with the geckos here. we won't touch you as long as your well fed. :grin:
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat