What is the best mozzie & fly repellent?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

What do use for mozzie & or fly repellent?

Aeroguard
57%
Citronella candles
No votes
Vitamin b
No votes
Portable mozzie zapper
No votes
Combinations of above
43%

Total votes : 7

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:33 pm

I just came across this home recipe for a mozzie repellant and thought someone may like to try it. I personally have not tried it so cannot say yay or nay. I am very interested to hear how it goes if you do try it out.

1 part dettol
1 part pure citronella
8 parts baby oil

Put it in a spray bottle and shake every time before use.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby cokebottle » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:52 pm

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I had been taking Berocca every day for a few weeks now & that is supposed to have Vit B in it.

Did not get bothered too much by mozzies on the weekend, just used Aeroguard roll on & some citronella candles, I had some coils I found in the garage but they must have been too old becasue they kept going out, they would smoulder for a few mins then just stop smoking.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:16 pm

cokebottle wrote:Thanks for all the great suggestions, I had been taking Berocca every day for a few weeks now & that is supposed to have Vit B in it.

Did not get bothered too much by mozzies on the weekend, just used Aeroguard roll on & some citronella candles, I had some coils I found in the garage but they must have been too old becasue they kept going out, they would smoulder for a few mins then just stop smoking.

Michael

For vitamin B to work you need to take mega doses of it, like about 1000mg daily for about 3 weeks before you would see any benefit. It is also recommended that you take it for some weeks before camping and during the camping trip as well. I can't remember if it is B6 or B12 that you should take.

I might also point out that it does not work for everyone and it appears there is no real evidence to say it really does work period...

And it is normally recommended for sandflies, not sure about mozzies.

It seems that some people have a natural immunity to sandflies and mozzies but those people are few and far between.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat