Eggs cooked on the camp oven lid

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Eggs cooked on the camp oven lid

Postby Komodo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:38 pm

Well after seeing someone post about cooking their eggs and bacon on the lid of their camp oven I was keep to give it a go.

OH MY GOSH! I'm so glad that I did. Now Ive always preffered my eggs cooked on a heavy cast iron pan but on the camp oven lid was 10times better than that again. Now I'm assuming that because of the weight it takes longer for the cast iron to heat up but it delivers the heat quite evenly thus the eggs cook evenly but but slowly so they dont get the crispy edges (Ive got to admit I preffer my eggs poached in milk because I dont like the crispy edges and the milk gives the eggs a really creamy texture - but its not viable to poach eggs this way whilst camping). So after cooking the eggs this way I'm a convert - all my fried eggs will be cooked this way in future whgen camping (and possibly sometimes even when I'm not)
Now I didnt cook bacon this way firstly because I'm not a huge fan of bacon and secondly because I had prosciutto available which goes well with eggs (and a small wedge of brie).

Oh and derek I think you'll be proud... I'm getting the boys at work to weld me up a small bench for my house so I can cook with heat beads and the camp oven at home ;)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:10 pm

Komodo, Thats ok we will start calling you Derek Junior or Mini Derek or something. :grin:

BTW no trouble with the eggs sticking?
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Komodo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:58 pm

LOL

and no issues with eggs sticking. I did add a small amount of oil to the lid but I think I could have gotten away with no oil if i needed to because of all the baked on oil from cooking a roast in it the night before
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to General Chit-Chat