Intense water crossing

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Intense water crossing

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:59 pm

Coppied from yet another forum:

antt wrote:Just got this from another forum. Brand new cruiser too :shock:

Some snaps a bloke took of a Cruiser crossing the Condamine river during the recent floods with commentary.

Following the flooding that occurred in the upper Condamine catchment in early January 2008, I decided to grab my camera and catch some pictures of the first floods in over 10 years.

While snapping some pictures Dad called out to me to get my camera ready as a car was approaching the other side and was looking at attempting the crossing.
He pulled up, got his kid to jump out and out and put the hubs in. He then headed straight across, he didn’t wait and watch it or try walking it, nothing… (Note the road closed pics in the background)

It is about 150 meters across here and the water was flowing at an astonishing rate

This Graph was taken from the BOM website and shows the peek of the flood recorded at the bridge recording station.
The crossing attempt was made at 6.00pm on the 5/01/2008 (as can be seen it was the peek of the flood level).

The Bridge is normally about 6 - 7 meters above the water level here.

Where the water is turbulent (where he is now) there is Armco guard railing. We figured he’d be ok there as the rail was breaking up the flow a little.

It was at this point that the water lifted and moved the vehicle a little downstream (Note how sideways the vehicle and boat are).

Still going!

Too easy! (there was a number plate attached to the front when he went in!)

Once across he opened the doors and let the ankle deep water drain from the cab.
Here one of the assembled crowd asked why he did it and he responded - “what that? It was nothing, I’ve been through deeper water than that, yuk yuk” and then promptly speed off only to return to offer his email address to the same person and asked if he would send him some photo’s.

Probably not the most responsible thing to do with a young kid in the car, but considering its a brand new cruiser, and towing a boat, I reckon he knew what he was doing and was confident he'd make it with no dramas.

I still would have told him to sit in the boat though :lol:

Sorry for the size of the pics (for those of you with crappy screens like me).
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby cokebottle » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:05 pm

Brave man! even in a 4wd you are not always safe

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Scolers » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:42 pm

Just had that sent to me too.

Bl**dy idiot for keeping the child in there tho' ... :$

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:03 pm

The fact he got through doesn't mean he's not an idiot :x
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby ScottyB » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:43 am

Put a snorkel on a 4WD and the idiots think they become a submarine.

I see this all the time, you put up a road closed sign and there are always one or two that dont think it applies to them. That bloke should consider himself lucky that those photos are on a web forum and not sitting in a report to the Coroner.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:55 am

Clown. Looks like a bit of a bunny too. Most likely sitting at home wondering why his diffs are all chewed out from the water. Diff breathers arent that long & high up.

Stupid for attempting it for no real reason with a child in the car. Sure there are times when nessesity for getting out of danger means you do some dangerous stuff which would other wise be deamed stupid. but as far as I can see there was no real life threatening reason for him to make that unnessisary crossing
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby SMP » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:26 pm

I'm glad to see the general response to this is not condoning this blokes behaviour. That's what makes this site different to most in that it's not all about gungho 4WDing. I was a bit disappointed before Xmas when someone posted some pictures of thenmselves driving through water in a local reserve and some on the responses appreciated his behaviour. Those wheek marks are still there today. It's good to see this is predominately a thinking site. Scott.,
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:30 pm

there's no way any sensible person would attempt such a thing. there's a $70,000 vehicle? , not to mention the kid in the car. And remember the incident a couple of years ago when the uncle drove through a flooded creek with his two nieces in the car, and the car was washed away and the girls drowned, and he was jailed for it. No one wins out of that and his life would pretty much suck. That dude driving would not know if the road had been washed away leaving a 2 metre drop half way across etc.

Though you can't blame 4wders, it's just a general dumb people thing.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:The fact he got through doesn't mean he's not an idiot :x

Bugger the idiot driver....TOYOTAS RULE.......
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mr_grumble » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:08 pm

Water across a roadway is just like waving a red flag at a bull to some people, damn stupidity if you asked me, wonder how humerous he'd see the situation should that cruiser have slid sideways enough to wash it (and his child)away.
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Powerpoint presentation JollyRoger wanted hosted http://www.skrobareng.com.au/komodo/ind ... sed%20.pps
Pretty much the same as the above photos ;) its a 5+ meg DL so a heads up to those of you on slower connections
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to General Chit-Chat