Memoirs-some may find this interesting.

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Memoirs-some may find this interesting.

Postby SMP » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:56 pm

Until a couple of years ago (like 5) I was able to recall every camping trip, site and date i have been on. It seems as I am getting older it is starting to become a bit hazzy. I look back on our family trips as the repreive during the hard times and as such cherish them emmensely. So have started to put all those memories down on paper (well computer). In conjuction with going through the photos it has become almost like a little family history over the last 20 odd years. So far I'm up to 2002 and have 19 pages. My 18 year old daughter thinks the idea is fantastic aa many of the memories are prior to hers. I must admit though it has been a bit nostalgic, and a real demonstation of the speedy passing of time.
Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:10 pm

Great idea to write it down to remember it all, and as you said a great family "mini history". Whenever I'm overseas or on a major trip I jot a few notes down in a journal each day to help me remember the little things. Every now and again I'll read through them and it will bring the images back to life, but without those notes to jog my memory I'd most likely remember the highlights and major moments but would have forgotten the thousands of small, wonderful little incidents that happened along the way.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ponga » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:47 pm

Sounds like an excellent excuse for a 'Blog', even if it is only for you and the family to share.
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Postby Komodo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Great idea!

I have all the photos from my trips over the last 2 years organised into folders on my PC (digital photos) and I'm starting to write up text files with details on when and where and how long and any notes I think are important about the trip.

Hopefully in years to come this will be help.

After bad experiances with loosing a HDD with all of my sisters weddign photos I've set this PC (well my PC at home actually) up with Raid 1 + 0 so I have the speed of raid 0 and the redundancy of raid 1. Everything on my PC is "backed up" so to speak (actually mirrored) onto the second pair of drives.

Also I have a few folders which includes my photos (actually its all of the folders under "my documents") automatically backed up once a week to a NAS and then once every 6 months I zip this folder and stre it on an external HDD and take it into work and copy it onto my local drive on my work PC.

So hopefully our memories will last "forever" and being digital they wont fade or yellow over time. I also Upload a lot of my photos onto photobucket
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:34 pm

For our holiday trips I keep a journal. Usually make notes in a small note book, then do a larger write up on the laptop.

Mrs Bravo takes the photos and records them.

We have just brought an external hard drive to act as a back up.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Blog

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:41 pm

I guess this is another possibility for the forum, we can provide a individual built in blog, not sure if everyone is familiar with this but it is a personal log you can attach pics, videos and even maps and publish or keep private.

Is this something anyone thinks would come in handy?
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Re: Blog

Postby kazzakanary » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:39 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:I guess this is another possibility for the forum, we can provide a individual built in blog, not sure if everyone is familiar with this but it is a personal log you can attach pics, videos and even maps and publish or keep private.

I think this site is too public for this IMO - if only members could see it I probably would not have a problem.

On this subject though - I have just started a scrapbbok of our camping and 4WD adventures - I have done 25 pages to date!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Re: Blog

Postby Troyk » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:45 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:I guess this is another possibility for the forum, we can provide a individual built in blog, not sure if everyone is familiar with this but it is a personal log you can attach pics, videos and even maps and publish or keep private.

Is this something anyone thinks would come in handy?

It might be something that someone doing a big trip might want to do, so everyone can follow the trip so to speak. :)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby HGMonaro » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:19 pm

I've been writing mini stories of our trips. I intend to put them all together in a book for our boys at some stage where I'll add photos to go with them. For our large trip we did a website for family and friends to follow and I'm in the process of turning that into a book. It's over 150 pages so far but does have a lot of photo's.

Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Blog

Postby Activity_Dept » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:47 am

Wow there it sounds like there are some interesting stories out there. We have a number of options Currently you can start a pvt thread, allow, members only or start a group and allow only members of your group you approve the of your group and provide them privileges. Also if I get motivated and add blogs to the site you can manage your own blog i.e. yourblog.camping.com.au and control who sees your info.

So after hearing some of this feedback I think its time I got something going here so a blog could well be on the cards.
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Return to General Chit-Chat