This brings a tear to the eye!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

This brings a tear to the eye!

Postby jollyroger » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Friends of ours parents were driving to Adelaide with a brand new caravan on New Years Eve just gone. Just north of Port Wakefield they came across some strong winds. Thank God they were only doing 75kpm.

They also had a newish (2nd hand) Toyota Sahara. The 4WD suffered a small scratch on the rear door. They were two weeks away from a round the country trip. Sadly that has been cancelled. The sold their house and old mini-bus camper to buy the caravan and 4WD.

Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:05 pm

:shock:

Really really really really REAALLY hope they had insurance :shock:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Troyk » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:09 pm

A real heartbrekaer alright!

I take it no one was injured.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby jollyroger » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:39 pm

Amazingly no one was injured - not even a scratch :shock:

Yes they had it insured. The nice part of this all was. They bought the caravan from Port Wakefield and the people that owned the company were alerted that one their vans had crashed and rushed out there to help salvage what they could and took them home to feed them. The ending was nice (alas no van for some time).

They are still
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:39 pm

Troyk wrote:A real heartbrekaer alright!

I take it no one was injured.

A bit like the guy on the news the other night who wiped out his $250,000 fifth wheeler on an overhead bridge.

Whilst the fifth wheeler was a write off, fortunately he and his wife were not physically hurt. I am sure they had a lot of emotional baggage after the event though.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby jollyroger » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:41 pm

Sorry was trigger happy..

They are still waiting for a new van!
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Komodo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:27 pm

Second time Ive seen these exact photos actually.

On the other forum I saw these on there was discussion about the fact that the load distribution bars either werent used (or fitted) or were used incorrectly. Can you shed any light on this diagnosis JR?

Glad to hear everyone is ok. Been in a roll over myself - quite an eerie feeling when you see photos like this to see the distruction involved.

Im not saying the above diagnosis is correct however I think any one buying a van or towing any sizable object (boats, car trailers etc) should do an advance course in trailer towing. The tips I've gained from a mate of mine who has done one are invaluable. I had never previously used load distribution bars correctly till he showed me that I have to physically jack them up to create the tension. I also always thought load assist such as poly airs were a good way ove levelling out a tow vehicle - never taking into acount the skate affect this has on the braking vehicle.

Once again glad to hear every one is ok just goes to drive home the need for proper insurance incase of the unthinkable happening to your pride and joy and also the risks involved with towing a trailer of any description size or weight, something many of us take for granted.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:39 pm

Actually its not the same photo as i first thought it was

this is the photo the above discussion related to

A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:38 pm

Caravans certainly distintergrate when then roll over. There's not much of them left after a roll over.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Would like to know if they had sway bars fitted and used. Not to point blame etc but to know for my own piece of mind.

When we had the wind up we had now sway bars and the van did get buffeted about in high wind. Now we have a much longer van but have sway bars and it is actually easier to tow. Although parking it in tight spots is a lesson in patience ... :-bang

Glad they have insurance ... never thought about wind creating an insurance payout.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby jollyroger » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:47 pm

Komodo.

I know the people very well that were involved in this accident. They are our neighbours parents. You are spot on as is Scolers about the sway bars.
The sad part of it is they were on the way to Adelaide to have them fitted.
Bob (owner of the van) is a perfectionist and one of the safest drivers I've ever known. So it goes to show it can and does happen to anyone. Even the most disconcerning driver.

I shudder at the thought of being in a roll over.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Scolers » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Many thaks JR.

Gotta feel sorry for the guy.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to General Chit-Chat