The drought!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby ScottyB » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:14 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
ScottyB wrote:
Hold on you guys down south, the rain will come. Nobody up here was expecting the amount of rain that has come.

I flamin hope so. Going to fab up a snorkel soon just in case :armsup

Hey they all thought Noah was a crazy drunk when he was building the Ark, and look how that turned out....
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby SMP » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:25 pm

I was hoping the federal government's "national water policy" might have included utilising the whole countries resources to benefit all EG- when the dams are full in the areas that get 1.5 metres of rainfall a year (when they do) that it is piped south where we have massive dams, some of which have never been full. The water could go back and forth to where it is required and even diverted to rivers and agriculture. The crowing of our wealth by our leaders is completely valueless unless we are going to put it to use in better ways than CEO's salary packages and share dividend's. A bit of co-operation and cost sharing. It really can't be that expensive relatively. I believe private industry built a north south gas pipe in WA many years ago. Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby will_deness » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:45 pm

SMP wrote: when the dams are full in the areas that get 1.5 metres of rainfall a year (when they do) that it is piped south where we have massive dams, some of which have never been full. The water could go back and forth to where it is required and even diverted to rivers and agriculture.

Taking water from it's natural enviroment is bad, diverting water from it's watercourse has such an effect on the local ecology(again using the Aral sea and the Colorado river examples). The damage we have done over the last 200 years will pale into insignificance of what we could do in the next 20 years with the technology available to us. Therefore in my opinion we are on the verge of doing irreparable irreversible damage unless we learn to live within a sustainable water usage regime.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby SMP » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:01 pm

I agree it has to be sustainable. Is storing water not sustainable? I suppose it depends on what happens to the overflow of the dams. If the justb run out to sea couldn't it be utilised in another way? Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby will_deness » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:20 pm

Storing water is not as bad as diverting water, that I do agree on. But retaining water does interfere with natural flow cycles. case in point is lake Alexandrina (and many other bodies of water) and the algae blooms. Even though the blooms are mainly a result of other factors such as fertiliser runoff and land clearing, Once a river is diverted or dammed it interrupts the periodic flush cycle of the bodies of water within the catchment area. In short, a huge amount of water flowing into the sea is healthy for a river.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:13 am

This news article sums up the problem very well http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 171113.htm
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby SMP » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:14 pm

How that can happen without being noticed I will never know. A perfect example of your view is the Snowy River. The problem there being that 80% or more of it's flow is diverted into the Murray. There is a river on the verge of extinction and has no hope of having flow restored during the current drought.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:47 pm

It seems we never get the water where we need it most and those who don't need it are getting more... no justice.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:07 pm

SMP wrote:I was hoping the federal government's "national water policy" might have included utilising the whole countries resources to benefit all EG- when the dams are full in the areas that get 1.5 metres of rainfall a year (when they do) that it is piped south where we have massive dams, some of which have never been full. The water could go back and forth to where it is required and even diverted to rivers and agriculture. The crowing of our wealth by our leaders is completely valueless unless we are going to put it to use in better ways than CEO's salary packages and share dividend's. A bit of co-operation and cost sharing. It really can't be that expensive relatively. I believe private industry built a north south gas pipe in WA many years ago. Scott.

Scott, it always sounds like a good idea but unfortunately its just so cost prohibitive, and the amount of energy required is enormous.

Here are some solutions

* Fix up some of the existing infrastrucuture. The Wimmera Mallee pipeline is a good example. It will replace a channel that loses 80% of its water due to seepage and evaporation. There are plenty of opportunities out there.

* Improve irrigation efficiency. Stop wasteful practices such as flood irrigation and fine spray irrigation. It will also reduce the impact of irrigated salinity (this is where the high irrigation causes the groundwater to rise and bring salts to the surface)

* Label Fruit and veg on water efficiency. Instead of putting stickers on apples to say where they came from, it could have a 1 to 5 star rating on the water efficiency of the farm.

* Ban bottled water. It takes 5 times the amount of water thats in the bottle to make the bottle. Don't kid yourself thats it healthier or better tasting, thats just multi national marketing crap. For example tap water has a maximum chlorine level of around 1 to 1.5 mg/L, while bottled water it can be high as 20mg/L (have a look on the bottle)

* Put water savings back into the river to improve river health. The rivers will be NOT ok when the drought breaks. They are simply being over extracted.

Just my Tuesday Night rant! :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby will_deness » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:27 pm

Troyk wrote:* Ban bottled water. It takes 5 times the amount of water thats in the bottle to make the bottle. Don't kid yourself thats it healthier or better tasting, thats just multi national marketing crap.

I read the other day ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ter118.xml ) the money cost of a bottle of water is 10000 times the cost of water from tap water.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:02 pm

Troyk wrote:* Ban bottled water. It takes 5 times the amount of water thats in the bottle to make the bottle. Don't kid yourself thats it healthier or better tasting, thats just multi national marketing crap.

Dude, come down here, and try the water :shock: I never bought bottled water until I moved to Leeton. 2 reasons: I've been swimming in the murrimbidgee, where the towns drinking water comes from, its brown. No other way to describe it. And the banks are lined with patties and not the type you get on your burger at maccas. I don't care how much filtration you put it through (and given the age of our water plant, IT AIN'T THAT MUCH :lol: ) its still a pretty gross thought.

Secondly, the pipes in my old flat must have been from before WWI cause if you left a white cloth under the dripping tap it was brown/orange by next morning and the water tasted tinny.

New house is better tho so it must have just been the pipes, but the water at Narrandera (next town over) tastes weird no matter what tap its out of :?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby will_deness » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:12 pm

A good way to replace bottled water is to nationally make so new homes constructed have to have rainwater tanks installed. and give a hefty rebate on existing homes like they do here in Brisbane and SEQ.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:16 pm

If it was in a major, polluted city like Sydney I'd be willing to bet the tap water is cleaner than any rain water. It'd pick up all the pollutants as it fell through the smog, err, I mean sky :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Troyk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:18 pm

Ozzy, hey there are always going to be exceptions unfortunately. The majority of Australians though have high quality town water, but buy the stuff for really the wrong reasons.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby will_deness » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:24 pm

pollutants fall everywhere. Also with first flush downpipes( http://www.rainharvesting.com.au/first_ ... erters.asp ) and a economically under sink filtration unit your going to have water as good as can be gotten.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat