Spam Mail

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:43 am

[/quote]

Anything that comes up that is doubtful, I automatically delete.[/quote]

Yes, i used to send back smart answers until someone informed me by answering they get your details and then can send a virus to damage your computer,so now delete and if you can don`t open them.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby will_deness » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:00 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:
someone informed me by answering they get your details and then can send a virus to damage your computer

Yeah they ain't really selling Iamaverylonelypersonwithnothingtodo or giving you kajillians, they just looking for a reply.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:00 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:
someone informed me by answering they get your details and then can send a virus to damage your computer

By answering you are confirming an active email addy....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scolers » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:48 am

I've also been told that even if you open the email to read it sends some confirmation back to them ... I can say that once I found this out I stopped opening any emails I thought were spam and oddly enough the number of spam emails dropped.

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:06 am

Golden_Daydreamer wrote:
gypsylady wrote:Anything that comes up that is doubtful, I automatically delete.

I'm the same as you but I delete mine manually. I don't have the filters set up.

Yes that is also what I do, I just automatically hit the delete button. No filters either.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Golden_Daydreamer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:21 am

Scolers wrote:I've also been told that even if you open the email to read it sends some confirmation back to them ... I can say that once I found this out I stopped opening any emails I thought were spam and oddly enough the number of spam emails dropped.

8)

Scol.

That usually happens with "Lazy" HTML email. When you open an email with HTML in it, most images are hosted on a sever somewhere. That server records you I.P. and when the image was downloaded.

Some HTML email contain a 1 pixel x 1 pixel transparent image (known as a "web bug") so the sender can see who, when, and how many times you read the email.

There is an email program called Pegasus Mail http://www.pmail.com that has features to stop the "spies". It is written by a New Zealander. How Pegasus Mail works is that it replaces all links to external images with an internal grey image. You can overide this feature if you want. It also has a lot of other features as well. I have been using Pegasus Mail since the Windows 3.1 days. I have no other affiliation (other than as a user) with this program.
Cheers,
Henry (Golden_Daydreamer)

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.
Golden_Daydreamer
Camping King

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:19 am

Scolers wrote:I've also been told that even if you open the email to read it sends some confirmation back to them ... I can say that once I found this out I stopped opening any emails I thought were spam and oddly enough the number of spam emails dropped.

8)

Scol.

Yeah that works for me too plus i rarely look at FW mail. I dont care who it's from as i have told all on my list not to.
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat