Computer spam question

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Computer spam question

Postby s4j » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:21 am

ok so I frequent this and 2 other forums.(4x4 and craft)...just noticed a recent/newest Member as LoisCampon.....Hmmm name triggered a memory of an email I recieved today...by the same name.....the email was in my Junk folder and yep one of those.....medical bedroom aid garbage ones.....now I do delete this garbage and empty my deleted items folder tooo.....is there something else I can do.....I'm fairly computer savvy with most things....I delete cookies and do regular virus scans etc..........Is this something that we can do something about for our own security...or is it a case of part and parcel of the www .........?????????????? I'd appreciate any help here.....
The camera's are mine...the closest he will get is holding the umbrella when it rains.
s4j
Camping King

Postby cokebottle » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:04 am

You can read a thread on here about spam http://forum.camping.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=2250&highlight= but unless you have a very good spam filtering system you will end up getting some spam eventually.

You can reduce your chances of getting spam somewhat by:

1) Never post your email address on a website such as a forum etc
2) Don't forward those stupid chain mails such as "if you forward this to 10 people you will get 3 years good luck etc"
3) don't reply to any message that you don't recognize as a friendly one.
4) never click on a "unsubscribe" link in an email unless you know 100% that you did subscribe with them in the first place.
5) Avoid opening an email that is unrecognized
6) Never click on a link in an email unless your are 1000000% sure it is safe.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby s4j » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:52 pm

thanks for the tips Michael...the only one I wasn't aware of was your #4.....guilty of doing this one probably 90% sure I was subscribed...
Thanks again
The camera's are mine...the closest he will get is holding the umbrella when it rains.
s4j
Camping King

Return to General Chit-Chat