Computer Glitch

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Computer Glitch

Postby Scolers » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:12 am

OK ... for the computer boffins ... I keep getting this warning up everytime I use the browser ...

Your computer has been infected by an unknown Trojan.
It's dangerous for your system (critical files may be lost!)

Click OK to download the antispyware program to clean your system (recommended)

Firstly, there is no Trojan and I don't think a spyware program would fix it if there was. I have done several virus scans and everything is clean. BUT I keeop getting the message everytime I use the browser.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be and how to get rid of it? I don't intend clicking 'ok' as I reckon THAT is the virus/Trojan etc.

Thanks for any help.

:?#

Me.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Re: Computer Glitch

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:28 am

Hi Scols

I have heard of this one but for the life of me I cannot find it.

It is spyware. My recollection of it is that it is put out by a company in Europe. If you click on OK as it suggests it will take you to a site that tells you that you are infected by a virus and the only way to remove it is by purchasing their program for something like 25 euros.

Your virus scanner won't remove it as you need a spyware tool to do it. Suggest you download Spybot Search & Destroy Program. I have it and it's currently rated as the best for 2008 and it's free.

You can get it here. http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-D ... 22137.html

There is a variation to this one that also puts their wallpaper on your PC and disables your access to change it.

Make sure you update the Spybot Program before you use it.

Derek
Last edited by Derek Bullock on Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:38 am

I would make a suggestion that everyone should use Spybot Search & Destroy. You never know when these things are going to hit you.

However if you do remember that none of the Spyware or Virus removal programs are any good unless they are regularly updated.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:43 am

Talking of Spyware and Viruses, here is another one you might want to know about. It comes on those new digital photo frames and infects your PC when you download photos to them.

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default. ... s_k=142518
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks for that Derek ... unfortunately the link comes up 'not found'.

And you are right about being sent to a site that suggests buying their software ... :?

Scol.

And I've still got the thing ... :evil:
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Weird it worked before.

Try this one http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/P ... troy.shtml
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby will_deness » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Derek,

Thanks for the second link ... it worked but after I'd scanned etc. I'm still getting that bl**dy message.

Will,

Off to try yours ... :armsup
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:07 pm

Scolers wrote:Thanks for that Derek ... unfortunately the link comes up 'not found'.

I was using spybot until recently and ditched it becuse I was unable to update it and got the very same message. I now run AVG anti spyware.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:31 pm

How good are you with puters scol?

I've had a few similar things. Don't know what their exact name is but trojan will do. And my anti virus program didn't recognize them.

Do you know roughly when it will pop up? For eg, does it pop up as soon as you open your web browser?

Because what I have done in the past is found out the name of the process that starts up at the same time as the pop up (its the program running in the back ground, the root of the problem). Then google that process name, to confirm it is in fact a trojan/virus. Then search the my PC for any files with that title and delete them. Usually only one or two.

To look at all the processes running on your puter at any one time, hit CTRL ALT DEL, and select the "processes" tab. Leave that running in the background, and when the pop up comes, there should be a new process in there.

Also, if you try this, when you get to the point of deleting the file, it might say "access denied cause this file is in use by another program"... just means you have to end that process 1st, (right click on it in Windows task manager, and select end process)

Of course the easiest way to do it is with a antiV program, but once you know how, this way is pretty quick too.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:04 am

gypsylady wrote:
Scolers wrote:Thanks for that Derek ... unfortunately the link comes up 'not found'.

I was using spybot until recently and ditched it becuse I was unable to update it and got the very same message. I now run AVG anti spyware.

What's the cost of AVG spyware?

Ozzy,

I'm not that good! 8) Will's thread was good but I'm running vista and trying to translate everything back to Vista ... atm I'm on my laptop 'cause I jsut got sick of the thing popping up all the time ... sorta says soemthing about my comp. skills I guess ... :shock:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:08 am

Scolers wrote:
gypsylady wrote:

What's the cost of AVG spyware?

Ozzy,

I'm not that good! 8) Will's thread was good but I'm running vista and trying to translate everything back to Vista ... atm I'm on my laptop 'cause I jsut got sick of the thing popping up all the time ... sorta says soemthing about my comp. skills I guess ... :shock:

Scol.

AVG anti spyware if free...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scolers » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:17 am

I've only got the virus freebie ... might d/l the spyware but I think it's too late in this case :x

I actually thought you had to pay for AVG spyware ... there's so much comp stuff out there it's frightening! A bit like a drive thru Brisbane ... virus's everywhere ... :lol:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:20 am

Scolers wrote:I've only got the virus freebie ... might d/l the spyware but I think it's too late in this case :x

I actually thought you had to pay for AVG spyware ... there's so much comp stuff out there it's frightening! A bit like a drive thru Brisbane ... virus's everywhere ... :lol:

Scol.

There is a free version Scol
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scolers » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:22 am

I'll check it out ... after a few beers ... it was stressing me yesterday .. :?

:beer

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat