Park Priices

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Park Priices

Postby bigdave55 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:33 pm

Hello all.... I'm only new here but glad I found a site for people with similar interests.

By way of introduction I've been travelling around for many years and include bush camping and caravan/camping parks in my travels.

On a recent trip to Brisbane though, I checked the prices on the net and also in a booklet published by a large holiday park chain. They seemed reasonable and I turned up only to find the price was higher, the difference being the GST added in. This is the only place I've ever visited that did not advertise the GST inclusive price and although it doesn't add up to a lot, it throws out the budget when you are planning.

Am I being pedantic here or is this chain being misleading? I'd be interested in the thoughts of others.

Cheers

Dave
bigdave55

Very relevant point

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:54 pm

This is a very relevant point there Dave and you are not being pedantic. People stay in parks for various reasons but certainly one is because of the value they provide one can’t help but to feel ripped off if it is not the advertised price. :evil:

Let me say it is the biggest issue we have in the camping directory and here is the problem of which we continue to struggle for an answer. We provide a directory of ‘all the parks’ not just Big4, Top Tourist or National Parks etc.

We do this because we are independent from all of them and we think it provides a better service if someone can choose a park based on location, service etc without having to jump from website to website.

For right or wrong this is what we have built in the hope it provides a better online experience for the user but one of the problems is maintaining the information on the park listings. :roll:

Currently we provide each park a username and password so they can log on and maintain/update their details i.e. prices. However this is not happening, currently about 30% have never updated their details and to police some 2,500 parks is not easy (basically impossible) unless we charge a fee but to charge a fee you would not get all the parks, maybe 50% and then it would not be a directory with all the parks. :?

So you can see our predicament, we are getting there and do hope to have the bulk of the parks updating their details or paying for same soon however on the interim the users get inconsistent details/prices. :(

Currently all I can think of is to ask people to contact and confirm price details prior to arrival. In saying all this however GST is not necessarily the problem it is simply outdated prices.

So any suggestions are always greatly appreciated. :idea:
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:11 pm

Perhaps a mass email to those ~2500 odd parks, once every six months or so asking them to check and update their information? :idea: And a gentle reminder that your providing a free service to them that will aid in their getting more customers.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Hello Ozzy

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:47 pm

Yes that would work, the problem is many have not updated their email either as such we are talking 800 phone calls or letter which usually mean 1200 as most you need to call 2 or 3 times. Once you get into a large volume of people the logistics gets expensive.

How have you been Ozzy? I guess this cold weather is keeping you indoors far more then you would like. :wink:
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:44 pm

Damn straight, i got a cold :evil: , and havent been camping in nearly a month :mrgreen: Last trip was lake cargelligo, 3rd week in June actually. They're going through the worst drought in a decade (or more?) and the day we got there it bucketted down all day and night :? Good for the farmers thou.

My next trip prolly wont be until sept/oct :cry: Gotta actually 'save' for trips now with diesel pushing 1.50/L :evil: :evil: :evil:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Holiday

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:53 pm

Its not cheep to get away from it all now a days is it. So are you working, tucking those pennies away? I forget what you do for a quid?
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Re: Holiday

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:27 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:Its not cheep to get away from it all now a days is it. So are you working, tucking those pennies away? I forget what you do for a quid?

I restore windows, factories, and occasionaly houses...

(restore = Fancy word for CLEAN :mrgreen: )
And yes i'm trying to tuck those pennies away but my car and little johnny H keeps on un-tucking em :lol: , had to replace a wheel bearing today, $270 :x , but it could have been worse.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:30 pm

isn't there laws about quoting prices and I have the feeling GST must be included, although there's probably exceptions.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:40 pm

I think you have to atleast state whether or not GST is included. So you can't just tack on another 10% once the customer thinks they have come to know the price.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

GST

Postby Activity_Dept » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:17 pm

Yes technically all prices are supposed to be GST inclusive and that is right you can't just slap on another 10% on the price. :shock: As for exclusions well I have come across some rent's and it is tricky when dealing with stamp duty I haven’t quiet figured all that out yet, I’m sure there is a simple answer out there but it eludes me. :?
That sounds like good work Ozzy, I m currently doing pretty much the same thing, renovating a unit, that is when I am not fixing the camping site. How’s the $$?
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:53 pm

Money's great but work aint always there, and its fast paced and sometimes, umm, yuk... like cobwebs, lotsa dirt etc etc.
Its pretty quiet atm, only working 2 days this week. But I try to never work more than 4days/week (except under un-usual circumstances :wink: ), its too much otherwise. Best part is being my own boss and not having to worry about asking for time off, i just plan my work around it.
U renovating your own unit or are you a builder by trade?
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Return to General Chit-Chat