Time to Resize

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Time to Resize

Postby Woodsy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:45 pm

Hey everyone. Its been a little while since i have been on. Been abit busy setting up my own business.

We are looking at going camping in the new year and are thinking of downsizing our equipment as it just takes to long to set everything up. Heres a pic

It took around 1.5hrs to get it completely set up with around 40-60 tent pegs and with the kitchen, blow up mattress etc.
Which we just think is to long and to much effort. Last time we set it up ( in the pic above ) i pulled my hamstring doing it rushing around before it got pitch black. Which pretty much put me out for the rest of the trip.

We are thinking of going to a smaller dome tent with a built in fly for ease of putting up and the time it takes to get it up, selling our little kitchen bench / storer and anything else we don't need.

We just think that we shouldn't have to rush around and set everything up, it should be relaxing from the time you start packing the car. We tend to get things for ' incase anyone wants to come camping we have the room for them ' but stuff them they can bring there own gear lol and no one has ever followed through with their plans to come camping with us anyway.

Good idea to downsize or stick it out with the current setup?

Cheers

Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Re: Time to Resize

Postby Pauly » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:27 pm

I used to use a dome tent and didnt enjoy it that much, It used to annoy me putting the poles together then threading them through etc, now we have the camper trailer 8) , we still have a 2 hour set up but its a pretty big set up lol, mainly getting the 9x7 tarp right that takes the time.

If I were to go back to a tent I would bite the bullet and buy a black wolf turbo tent, from everything I have seen the erect very quickly, check the video below.

http://www.blackwolf.com.au/turbo/turbo-tent-pitching/

Just be carefull you dont downsize so much your no longer comfortable.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby mr_grumble » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:48 pm

Although it's not downsizing, we went from a three-pod dome tent to a Camper Trailer because we thought it would be less involved.
We still spend the same time setting up the Camper as we did the dome tent :--?
We even went out recently and bought a small dome tent for the over-nighters that we just couldn't be bothered lugging the camper to :roll:

If there's a family involved, I'd personally avoid a dome tent, the're just not child friendly IMO. With a tent that has near vertical walls, it allows a bit more usable space inside for the kids to use, especially on days the weather just doesn't permit outside activitied.

End of the day, it's what you see yourselves being comfortable with. Just because you can set it up in under 15 minutes, doesn't mean it's going to fulfill your other camping requirements. Remember, it may take you 1.5 hours to set up, but it's the remaining time at camp you'll benefit from a good setup.

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Bradd » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:43 pm

My back aches just thinking about setting up our old dome tent.
Constant bending and never ending pegs, oh and threading those damn
fibeglass pole things aaarrrgghhhh :evil:

Our Camper Trailer can be set up to Sleepable in 10 - 15 minutes.
The more you want set up like annexe etc the more time of course.
Also for faster set up don't pack anything on top.

Personally If I was to go for another tent it would be a Touring tent.
A peg in each corner and 1 pole in the middle, extra pegs / ropes only if windy
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Woodsy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:48 pm

We looked at a dome tent today but it was only 170cm tall. I'm 184cm tall and i can see myself getting a sore neck in no time. A camper trailer is out of reach for us financially.

Our setup is great its just the hassle of lugging the tent itself in a huge bag with the poles for it then the tarp and the poles and ropes for that. We have a commodore wagon and filled it last trip only taking things we need and use.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:15 pm

Woodsy wrote:... only 170cm tall. I'm 184cm tall...

A touring tent is OK as far as it goes - the centre would be alright to stand up straight in but most of the rest of it slopes either downwards (the roof) or inwards (the walls). For more than a day or two it could be quite uncomfortable - since we're much less tall than you, it suits us. A cabin tent might be the only other option but they are quite big so you're back to poles, ropes, pegs and tarps and major bulk. An el cheepo camper trailer might suit your needs, there's plenty around especially at this time of year. Basic without all the bells and whistles should only set you back a few thousand if that's within your budget.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Woodsy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Ok i think we may have a plan, instead of downsizing the tent & our equipment we will either downsize the tarp that goes over the tent or try to make a fly for our current tent. As the tarp is what takes the longest to put up. Anyone had success in making there own fly?
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:36 pm

how much time is actually putting up the tent? I've seen camper trailers take that long even though it might only take 10-15mins to erect the actual camper... it's all the other junk people take that takes time.

I rekon you're on the right track to stop taking stuff "just in case" or for others. Probably need to review what you take that you think you need but don't. Got kids? how much junk do you include for them they they don't actually use. Good for them to have a holiday from there usual stuff too!

However, as mentioned above, all this depends on how long you stay and how comfortable you want to be for that time. Saving 1/2hr on setup/packup isn't worth it if you spend the rest of the week or 2 wanting all the things you left at home, or worse even, listening to the Mrs rant on about them!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Woodsy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:27 pm

No kids here.. Don't do that to us! lol

I made a list last time we went camping and everything on it we used. The reason i made the list was so nothing just got thrown in for the sake of ' we might use it '. We still take raincoats & wet weather gear etc even if the weather is meant to be fine because we all know things can change in an instant.

The tent itself takes around 20 minutes to put up, This was the first time we have used the large tarp as a fly and it was easy gettng the tarp over the tent it was all the ropes & pegs that took the time.

This is the tarp we used at Mungo the first time we went camping.

Maybe we should just look at downsizing the monster tarp we have now and go back to one a tad bigger than the one we used at Mungo..
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:40 pm

I am downsizing as well Woodsy. Interesting looking at your setup and I reckon I have that many, if not more poles ropes and pegs on the camper trailer and that is just putting up the main area and awning. I can still put it up no problem but being a solo camper I have no need for a large camper trailer and am looking towards a tent now, either a Black Wolf or Oztent although I think the Oztent RV4 is currently ahead on points for what I am looking for.

Have already got the roof racks on the new COCIA II to put it on. :)
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Woodsy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:56 pm

The plan was to have 1 pole in every second hole in the tarp, It held the tarp up i just had to retension the ropes once or twice a day. However the tarp sagged in the middle touching the top pole that runs along the length of the tent which wasn't a problem but should of run a rope the whole length down the middle and maybe one across too..
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:03 pm

I'm the laziest person in the world normally but I actually enjoy the fiddling around when we set up camp.

That said, assuming the weather is good, 12 or so pegs in the dome tent, 4 in the loo tent and 4 in the gazebo. Last year when we were travelling we could set up from parked the car to fridge running on gas and the UFO lights strung up in the tent in about 30 - 40 minutes.

Our tent is a cheapy 2 room 10 person dome tent from Big W. It has a fly so I've not had to build my own. We don't bother with putting up a tarp as we have a gazebo with fly screens that we use sometimes for meals etc.

It's not the tents and gazebo set up that takes time, its lighting the 3way fridge, finding the batteries for the lights are flat and then looking for the spares that we have inevitably put somewhere different this time, or generally mucking around with some new silly 'must have' that we have never used before!

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby CampGrrlz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:20 pm

HGMonaro wrote:how much time is actually putting up the tent? I've seen camper trailers take that long even though it might only take 10-15mins to erect the actual camper... it's all the other junk people take that takes time...

Yep!

How many times have we been regaled by eager salesmen "it only takes xxx minutes to put up" be it camper trailer or tent. Most websites, especially for camper trailers, emphasize the ease of erection. But no one bothers to mention that you might be spending the next hour or so un-packing this and that. We try to travel light too and inevitably leave something behind we need and bring a stack of stuff we don't. Since every trip is different, even having our list is only the basis for packing not the final pack itself.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Pauly » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Camper trailers are definatly easier and faster to put up, if I wanted to I could be under canvas in a comfortable bed in under 15 minutes, fine for a night if Im traveling but........ If I want a comfortable camp we put up a 7 x 9 tarp with 20 something poles, we set up the kitchen etc etc and everybody is comfortable, we do the same camp set up if its for 2 nights or 20 nights, Ive decided if I want to keep my family interested mainly my 11 and 13 year old girls I must make them comfortable, each trip I ask my guys is there anything that will make it more enjoyable/comfortable and 90% of the time I get nope all good dad.

Woodsy its your call, save your money and buy a really good tent like the turbos, have a tarp for extended stays but the comfort level you want is up to you. I have stayed 8 days with the boys and the only requirements were a swag, fire and ice. You can be as rough as you like or as comfortable as you like, set up time is the relavence.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Woodsy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:45 am

Yeah we want to have the same setup as well, whether its for 2 nights or a week. I've spoken to the girlfriend about keeping the cabin style tent and just downsizing the tarp for it but she isn't keen on that either.

I have seen some cabin style tents now that have fibreglass poles that go into a joiner at different angles and the tent hangs from that and the fly goes over the top, similar to a dome tent but with almost vertical walls.

Similar to this, the only thing i don't like about this is that it doesn't have a full fly.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat