Time to Resize

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Time to Resize

Postby MDC » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:01 am

We camped for many years with a decent sized dome tent and a big tarp over the top. It would take us a good hour to set up every time and we got really tired of it.

We recently downsized to a Blackwolf turbo 300 plus tent and a 3x3m tarp that extends from the front using the existing tent poles (plus another two at the front end of the tarp). I couldn't be happier. We now have the tent and tarp fully set up in under 15 mins. So far we haven't found the need to put a tarp over the top as the canvas Blackwolf seems to stay a lot cooler than our dome tent.

I can post come pics in the new year if you want to see the set up.
MDC
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:52 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Time to Resize

Postby Woodsy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:02 am

Yes please. That sounds like a good setup.
Cheers Josh
User avatar
Woodsy
Blatant Padder
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 3:38 pm
Location: Ettalong Beach, NSW

Re: Time to Resize

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:19 pm

MDC wrote:
I can post come pics in the new year if you want to see the set up.


I would be interested in seeing the pics as well.
Image
User avatar
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: Karana Downs, Queensland

Re: Time to Resize

Postby MDC » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:53 pm

Unfortunately I won't be able to post the pics until the new year because we'll be off camping from boxing day :) 9 days at Borumba Deer Park. Feel free to drop in and say hi if anyone is there (we'll be at the site named Cat's Claw).

I've actually customised the tarp setup so that it velcros onto the tent annex.... hopefully it works.
MDC
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:52 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Time to Resize

Postby Woodsy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:06 pm

We went to afew camping shops yesterday and i have to say that its hard finding a tent that suits all of our needs, there is one more local store which is only new which we have to check out the only problem is they don't have any tents setup.
Cheers Josh
User avatar
Woodsy
Blatant Padder
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 3:38 pm
Location: Ettalong Beach, NSW

Re: Time to Resize

Postby crocodile » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:56 pm

MDC wrote:We camped for many years with a decent sized dome tent and a big tarp over the top. It would take us a good hour to set up every time and we got really tired of it.

We recently downsized to a Blackwolf turbo 300 plus tent and a 3x3m tarp that extends from the front using the existing tent poles (plus another two at the front end of the tarp). I couldn't be happier. We now have the tent and tarp fully set up in under 15 mins. So far we haven't found the need to put a tarp over the top as the canvas Blackwolf seems to stay a lot cooler than our dome tent.

I can post come pics in the new year if you want to see the set up.


I've gone back to the tarp over the whole lot. Sure it takes an extra 45 - 60 minutes to set up. But when I don't tarp up it takes me twice as long to clean the bird poop off when I get home.
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes !
crocodile
Camping King
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Re: Time to Resize

Postby MDC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:48 am

Here are the pictures as promised. We had plenty of rain over the last week and I didn't once regret not having a tarp over the tent. This is only our second trip with the Blackwolf and I have to say that I am impressed.

Crocodile, I spend a bit of time wiping off the bird poop as I see it rather than wait until I get home. I've had a bad experience with bird or bat poop eating through car paint so now I can't stand to let it sit on anything!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MDC
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:52 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Time to Resize

Postby Young Camping Family » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:27 pm

MDC - that looks like a pretty good set up to me - hopefully we will have something similar. I've bought a 12x18 foot tarp to go next to our tent to achieve something similar to what you have at the front. I have to have a trial run with the tarp in the backyard to make sure I have enough poles, ropes and pegs and that it won't collapse on us!
Is the tarp slightly higher on the far side? I have 2 poles longer than the rest so that we will have a gable in the middle so water won't pool on it and make it sag.
If it all goes well, I may have to look at getting some flooring (e.g. shade cloth) for underneath it... boy, the list of things is ever-growing!
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:45 pm
Location: Western Melbourne, VIC

Re: Time to Resize

Postby MDC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Young Camping Family wrote:MDC - that looks like a pretty good set up to me - hopefully we will have something similar. I've bought a 12x18 foot tarp to go next to our tent to achieve something similar to what you have at the front. I have to have a trial run with the tarp in the backyard to make sure I have enough poles, ropes and pegs and that it won't collapse on us!
Is the tarp slightly higher on the far side? I have 2 poles longer than the rest so that we will have a gable in the middle so water won't pool on it and make it sag.
If it all goes well, I may have to look at getting some flooring (e.g. shade cloth) for underneath it... boy, the list of things is ever-growing!


The tarp is slightly higher on one side. In the pictures it leans back towards the tent. The 4 poles you see in the picture still have approx 20cms to go so that we can raise one side higher depending on the slope of the site. I also added two ridge poles on the sides which is overkill. I actually removed one of the ridge poles and roped the middle eyelet so there was a water run-off. The amount of rain in the last week was unbelievable!

A little tip for anyone looking at the Blackwolf tents is that the annex poles they supply are too short and the water pools. We scrapped the supplied poles and raise the annex a bit higher.

Shade cloth floor is a must for us. We camped for years with an old tarp for flooring but now we won't go past shade cloth. The list does keep growing and so does the space you need to cart it all around! Notice the trailer...... lol
MDC
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:52 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Time to Resize

Postby Young Camping Family » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:21 am

Ok, one last question - The shade cloth flooring - is it premade or did you do it yourself?
I was looking at the Oztrail(?) ones but not sure if they are that great or if I could get away with a single layer of 90-95% shade cloth and add some eyelets myself? I'm not sure how much a single layer of shade cloth will benefit or if it needs to be doubled.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:45 pm
Location: Western Melbourne, VIC

Re: Time to Resize

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:56 am

Young Camping Family wrote:Ok, one last question - The shade cloth flooring - is it premade or did you do it yourself?



The one in the pic definitely looks like the Oztrail Ultramesh YCF. I have had one for a number of years and believe it is far more practical to purchase one of these than try and make your own.

One word of advice though....it can get a bit slippery when wet.
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Re: Time to Resize

Postby sienna » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:04 am

The shade cloth mats that I saw at last year's show where made of two layers. I believe this is to let the sand and dirt fall through both layers but not get back up. I think that with one layer dirt will find it's way back through easily. I made a mat myself with 75% shade cloth and stitched it round the edges. I have ended up using it as a wall up one end of my tarp to provide shade from the early morning sun but to let the breeze still come through.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: southside, Brissie

Re: Time to Resize

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:12 pm

sienna wrote:The shade cloth mats that I saw at last year's show where made of two layers. I believe this is to let the sand and dirt fall through both layers but not get back up. .


That would most probably have been the CGear mat http://www.cgear.com/rec_product.html

Very good but also a lot more expensive that the Oztrail Ultramesh.
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Re: Time to Resize

Postby MDC » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:14 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Young Camping Family wrote:Ok, one last question - The shade cloth flooring - is it premade or did you do it yourself?



The one in the pic definitely looks like the Oztrail Ultramesh YCF. I have had one for a number of years and believe it is far more practical to purchase one of these than try and make your own.

One word of advice though....it can get a bit slippery when wet.


They are indeed the Oztrail Ultramesh. So much less stressful than making our own, and not much more expensive.
MDC
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:52 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Time to Resize

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:09 am

MDC wrote:
They are indeed the Oztrail Ultramesh. So much less stressful than making our own, and not much more expensive.



I doubt it would be any more expensive, probably cheaper by the time you buy the eyelets and webbing for the edges MDC and as you say....far less stressful. You also have the product guarantee as well...
Image
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests