Time to Resize

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Time to Resize

Postby Woodsy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi everyone long time no post.

We have been looking on and off for a new tent since the original post was made in this thread but to be honest we cant find anything that we could comfortably stay in when the weather turns bad, I have a bad back so i need a tall tent so i dont have to bend over to do stuff in the kitchen etc and when the rain starts to come down we have to lock a dome tent up unless it has a large fly over it and that is not pleasant at all.

So we are going to stick with our current tent and downsize the tarp we use for a fly, as i dont like the large tarp resting its weight on the tent and its to long to put a pole the WHOLE length of the tent to support the tarp.

The tents we looked at today were either to small in size or height or didnt have enough ventilation etc. Seems our $174 Kmart special is the best tent for us afterall!
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Titch » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:42 pm

Sounds like a good personal choice.
If your not happy with the set up, you will steer away from it.
If your happy with the set up you will use it.
$175 versus $1.750, same thing if you like the outcome.
Enjoy and work on your back .
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby hoadie72 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:14 pm

I haven't read the full thread, so I'm not sure exactly what your needs are, but for me an Oztent RV-3 does what I need. Very quick to put up, heaps of room and height (I'm 6'3"), good sized awning with optional sides and front should you need more protection from the elements.

I've had to erect it in the dark, in the rain and was most happy that you can be inside it out of the elements within a minute or so (depending on how many pegs you put in, if any), and have camped out in some pretty heavy storms that saw other peoples tents and tarps get torn to shreds.

Only two negatives - packed size (from memory it's about 1.8m long) so it goes on the car roof, and price. Putting it on the roof can actually be a blessing, as it frees up space in the car, and as for price - well it's very well made and I can see it lasting a lot longer than most other tents on the market.
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat