CT Kitchen

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

CT Kitchen

Postby Dettie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:18 pm

I've been eyeing off some kitchens for the CT. For now I'm just going to use a blow mould table but am starting to appreciate the value of having a kitchen that's attached to the tailgate, so will upgrade to an easy kitchen before our 3 week trip we're planning for Sep/Oct. My hubby thinks a roll out kitchen would be better but I'm thinking they would take up too much valuable space. I'd love to hear others opinions! I think ease and speed of setup is also paramount.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Re: CT Kitchen

Postby mickange » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:42 pm

We have a drifta tailgate swingout kitchen in ours. Admittedly we only picked up our camper trailer last weekend and the weather has ensured that we cannot test it out yet :cry:
I have found it very easy to get to, just open the tailgate, lock it into position and slide up the shelf which doubles as protection. Full setup in less than 5 minutes. Haven't cooked in it yet but there's plenty of benchspace and it's at a good height - no more bending over to cut meat or veges on a normal height table!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mickange
Boy Scout

Postby Dettie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi Mickange and welcome to the forum! I just picked up my new CT last week too :) I am itching to get on the road in mine too.

I do like the look of your DRIFTA but I think I'm going to steer towards a tailgate kitchen for the quick lunches and overnight stops. I'm going to keep hunting around for a tailgater that includes the built in gas cooker and sink.

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Dettie

This one is made by Camel Campers. Has a three burner stove and a sink as one unit set in a stainless bench. Electric water pump to the sink and glass fold down tops. Three drawers including a cutlery draw. Fold out stainless bench top extension and powder coated shelf. The whole thing is in a powder coated metal cabinet with a door to close it off.

Not cheap but one of the best I have seen. I used one of these on an off road camper when I did the Camp Oven Cooking segments for The 4X4 show on television a few years back.

Check it out here http://camelgroup.com.au/product_access ... 0On%20Road
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby sienna » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:39 am

My ct kitchen is on the tailgate, too. So easy. My is very basic and consists of the sink, which I have added plumbing to, and a covered shelf underneath, which I have found 3 drawers for. It's so easy to set up and I reckon it would take up far less space in the trailer than a slide out one. If you go back through the ct section, you'll find a similar thread from not long ago and it has some great photos in it too.
Basically, you can have it as simple or complex as you like and can afford. :grin:
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Dettie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:34 pm

Derek & Sienna, thank you! Derek, that's exactly what I am looking for so I'l call Camel Group. My hubby is really impressed with the CT and now wants the good stuff for it and seeing as he's the chef (although, I just love cooking healthy food when we go camping) we'll spend our hard earned bucks on a good one.

I've also emailed Customline re quote for their trailer kitchen.

I'll definitely check out the other thread (hopefully I can find it) and see the piccies.

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby dea » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:12 pm

dettie , my dad made us one & i love it .. downside takes up half the trailer but everything is always in it....check out my pics on facebook ... we just pull it out pop the kegs on & we ready to cook & all action goes... has a sink ...plenty of cupboards etc ..xxxx
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Dettie try and get to the Supershow at Rosehill in April
http://www.supershow.com.au/Default.aspx

as there will probably be heaps to look at and you will be able to get exactly what you want... make sure you take your measurements to the show with you so you can be ready in case you see what you want and they may have it at a special show price to take with you there and then. :armsup

Mine is a tailgate kitchen, very basic but is all we need. Just has a sink with hand pump as we already had a stove which fits on the bench nicely when cooking or I have a little table I also use when we have the annexe on as I would rather not cook in the annexe unless it raining.

Opened:

Closed

xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:12 pm

XmasBaby, thanks for that! I remember seeing yours before and was impressed... neat and simple is what suits me. I'm going to the Show, for sure and by then I will have just been camping and will really have a chance to think about what will work best for the CT.

A lot of people go with the Drifta and I do think the tailgate drifta has got everything we need... but I just don't really like the look of the wood. A small simple stainless steel kitchen with a pull out side bench. I was thinking it would be best for us to get the gas line and cooker built into the design and use a bucket type for washing up (I have a handpump on the side of trailer so will work nicely.

Ultimately, I want to know that we can pull up and be ready to boil a cup of coffee or soup within a few minutes.

XmasBaby, where did you get yours? Maybe I should re-think having the cooker installed so I can cook outside the annexe...

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Keep in mind Dettie that SS will be quite expensive.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dettie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:57 pm

gypsylady wrote:Keep in mind Dettie that SS will be quite expensive.

True... I've seen some that are $1700 which I think is way too much for us. If I can get one for under $800 I'll be as happy as larry.

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Dettie we got ours with our CT as an option but I noticed Customline now have a shop and you can order one for yours and have someone attach it for you.
http://www.customline.com.au/cms-shop/index.phps

Customline will be at the Sydney show so maybe ring Ian and ask the size of the kitchens so you can maybe order one and pick it up at the show or check them out at the show and order one after seeing how it is. We got the option with the checkerplate lockable drop down door which we use a an extra shelf and we can lock it away when we leave the campsite.

Ring Ian and see what he is bringing to the show with him so you will know what they have on offer.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Dettie just looking at the Customline site again and adding it all up with extra shelf, ss sink,lockable checkerplate door it works out to be $650 plus freight. Not bad I think and an extra $50 if you want the tap near the sink, which you said you didnt need.

We have to disconnect our tap each time we open or close the tailgate but it's not an issue for us but if you already have the tap on the side you dont really need another one!!!!

Try other CT websites also to see what they have to offer also before going to the show in April.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby MDC » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:16 pm

One of the best designs I've seen is by Vacation Campers. The pic is a bit small but definitely worth having a look at their kitchen for ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby Dettie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:43 pm

XmasBaby, thanks for that info! I think I'll wait for the Rosehill show - I think I'd prefer a sink that's not built into the top.

MDC, that setup really does look amazing! I've just checked out their website, thanks for the more ideas.

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat