Brisbane weather and where to visit?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Brisbane weather and where to visit?

Postby markcrook » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:37 pm

We are now planning a trip over east, after the success of our Red centre trip, probably so we can take the kids to Australia zoo - they want to meet Bindi! This time we are thinking of flying to Brisbane and hireing a camper-van for a week.

When is the best time of year? For us that means lots of sun and little rain!

If we have got a week to explore where would you recomend we visit, I love the coast and surfing but dont mind heading in-land.

Any advice/recomendations welcome

thanks Mark
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Re: Brisbane weather and where to visit?

Postby markcrook » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:38 am

Somebody I have worked with has recomended flying to Cairns, pick-up transport, drive to Port Douglas then head South ultimatley to Brisi. I have looked on Google maps and it is 1800kms approx.

Is it doable in a week or would you feel you are racing from one place to another?
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby CampGrrlz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:08 pm

markcrook wrote:...1800kms approx. Is it doable in a week or would you feel you are racing from one place to another?

Doable, yes but will you see anything worth-while? Personal view is 'less is more' meaning take more time at each place of interest and just go to places you can comfortably do in the time. Whatever your interests are (eg fishing, bowls, bush-walking) just concentrate on those things and get a taste of what the area is like. Planning is the key and not getting too sidetracked leaving yourself 500-600 klms to drive in one hectic day to make up. The roads will be busier than usual since there's a huge exodus of people from southern climes making it to Cairns in the winter.

Winter will be better weather in general but the days are short with no twilight. Expect the sun to disappear around 6pm and it will be up again around 7am. Usually winter in the sub-tropics and tropics is dry but we've had wet winters before and will again. Be prepared for some chilly nights, especially once you get out of the tropics around Rockhampton it gets cooler the further south you go and inland can be very crisp - and take some rain gear.

The RACQ have a useful trip-planner http://www.racq.com.au/ which can give you times and distances between different places. Give yourself a bit extra time, they work those times on the speed limit. An up-to-date map is well worth the price of admission.

Happy Travelling :grin:

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby MDC » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:28 pm

markcrook wrote:If we have got a week to explore where would you recomend we visit, I love the coast and surfing but dont mind heading in-land.

thanks Mark

With only a short time and wanting to go to Aust Zoo, I'd suggest landing in Brisbane, going to Aust Zoo and then heading south to Byron / Ballina. There are plenty of beautiful spots near the beach to set up camp and relax. Just be careful on that trip though as you'll pass Dreamworld, Wet & Wild, Movieworld and Seaworld..... prepare for the kids asking whether you can stop there :lol:

Another idea would be to head north a little and spend a week on Fraser or Noosa North Shore where you can camp right on the beach.
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby Dettie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:41 pm

Mmm... Noosa! That sounds like some good recommendations there. I haven't been to Bribie Isl but that might be worth googling. Vehicle access is fine but I have heard it's full of retirees.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:48 pm

I think MDC has the best idea. Cairns to Bris...mmm lots of driving and less chance of sight seeing,with only a week i wouldn`t waste my time driving exhausting yourselves AND do the kids like days on end in the car. Our winter days are glorious and if we are going to get a cold snap july/august are the coldest. But then i have been to Perth in November/december and froze my butt off.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CampGrrlz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 pm

Dettie wrote:...Bribie Isl but that might be worth googling. Vehicle access is fine but I have heard it's full of retirees.

Well, I never thought that was a down-side to a place! Bribie Island has one of the highest enrollments of students in its high school! We've been to Bribie many times and wish we could afford to move there, we're both retired but prefer the company of a mixed section of the population. No retirement villages with an all-wrinkly population for us! We're already refugees from an over-50s home park so the real world is preferable. Yes, there are a lot of retirees. There's a lot of children. There's a lot of dogs too and native birds and animals. It's a 'mixed bag' like anywhere else. If you fancy a place with clean air, everything is quiet after sun-down and a reasonable level of civilized services and delightful sandy beaches, Bribie Island is a great place to stay. Once you cross that bridge, you are in another world. And you can call in and see us on the way up/back if you fancy a coffee and chat with a couple of old bats who are still very much alive ;-)

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Yes i agree with the two young girls ;) about Bribie ,our camp group went there and i didn`t think that it was full of the older gen at all. Aussie Sunset lives there she doesn`t mind it.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:12 am

I would love to live on Bribie....Elaine's take on the place is spot on.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby markcrook » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks for the help guys, we aren't entirley sure when we are planning to go or what we want to do or see, we have some freinds coming over from the UK next year who are thinking they may tag-a-long. We had better start saving!
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Rosco532 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:05 pm

And Save you must if you get roped into doing the theme parks or shows.....Terrible prices !!!
Bribie is a great place (excellent club there as well)...then onto Coloundra / cotton tree....up to Noosa...do a trip on the ferries there,,,stay a nite then weave your way back to Brisvagus and maybe end up at Surfers / Tweed heads (one of my places I'd be happy retiring in)....From about now on the weather settles....chrystal clear blue skies during the day and billions of stars by night (especially around Noosa).....temp. should be around 22....26deg ...so comfortable travelling......
If you are hoping to see Bindi....get your young ones to write to her...or her 'fan club)....and see if shes even going to be here.....they spend alot of their time in the states or down in Tasmania.
Cheer
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kbel » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:34 pm

Another vote for Bribie from me!

I'm 39 and been holidaying there all my life. :) Depends on the age of your kids whether you'd hit the surfside or landside caravan parks - we always stay surfside at the Woorim Top Tourist park - kids love the pool and the beach very close. The club there is also very good.

If you can get into the sunshine coast hinterland (Glasshouse Mountain scenic drive is gorgeous) you won't regret it, and then heading down to Byron Bay and the northern rivers of NSW - very wonderful. I've stayed at the Clark's Beach caravan park in Byron - no pool, and the ice is ridiculously expensive but it is absolute beachfront. Mt Warning holiday park is great for the northern rivers.

Cheers!

Kirri
If a man speaks in the middle of the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Kbel
Camping King

Postby markcrook » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:47 pm

We have booked the camper-van (well apollo and Tavlor have as it is our competition prize) for pick-up on the 27th September from Brisbane (we will probably fly to Brisbane on the 25th and have a couple of nights in a hotel to look around the city).

We are planning on a early pick-up then, drive to Autralia zoo do the day there and then head North for a 4 nights staying a couple of nights maybe at Noosa then Hervey Bay and then head back in-land with a stop or two in the Hinterland.

Cant wait! Very exciting now the van confrimation is in black and white with $0 to pay! (except for liability cover!)
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby ellewood » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:13 pm

Just reading over what you have proposed to do and have some suggestions for you (I live in Brisbane)

So its about an hours drive from Brisbane up to Australia Zoo - you will have a really full on day there - most people even go back for a second day. If you feel like you want to or don't want to drive too far at the end of that day you can always stay at Dicky Beach Caravan Park at Caloundra. Its right on the beach and is one of our favourites places. It is only about 10 minutes from the Zoo, whereas Noosa is still a good 40 minutes from Beerwah. From your base at Caloundra, you can easily do a day trip up to Noosa or a daytrip up to Maleny where there is bushwalking in the rainforest, galleries, cafes etc.

You could then pack up and head to the Gold Coast - there are some great spots to visit in the Hinterland - Mt Tamborine, Lamington National Park (Binna Burra or O'Reilys) or down at the beach there is Tallebudgera/Currumbin which is nice and not right in the heart of Surfers Paradise.

I guess it depends really on what you like to do personally. But, personally I wouldn't take the kids to Hervey Bay (although it is a beautiful place) it is a 2 and a half hours drive from Noosa and return to Brisbane is 3 and a half hours. It is a nice waterfront town but with no Surf as such. Bribie Island is a nice sleep town too, but not one I would 'holiday' at as such, it is much too residential.

If you want to clarify anything with me, feel free to send me a message.

Hope you enjoy your trip.
ellewood

Return to General Chit-Chat