Could Be Dangerous.

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Could Be Dangerous.

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Sure will Xmas baby, just did one of those stupid prediction things on facebook, it says i will find a bushell of money Lmho
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco532 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:04 pm

May have been a blessing PJ....When you do get one, check real hard for 'hidden' rust on 'Toymotas'....especially one that has lived its life by the sea (coloundra)...the other thing to remember,,,,look for long wheel base if you can....more room & a much more comfortable ride.....after that......'ENJOY'
cheers
Rosco

pic of our camper.....and yep...it has rust as well .......I'm working on fixing it,
We now have a toilet shower tent we use and we often put up the small tent at the end of the awning that we sleep in....saves making the bed every nite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:35 pm

Yep Rosco that is the type i was looking at.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Redback » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:18 am

This is just a suggestion, it might get you excited again, but why not look at a cub Kamparoo or Sprint, these are designed to be towed by a small car or motorbike, they open up to a pretty good size and are very light.

From the CUB Website
SPRINT
The Kamparoo SPRINT is ideal for towing behind motorcycles and small cars, or for people who enjoy the independence of traveling on their own.
this model does not come with the Ezy Wind system, because of its light weight and simplicity to open and close.
Available in Touring Model only.

SPRINT SPECIFICATIONS

Body length: 1.9m (6'5")
Weight: 160kg
Open Length: 3.75m (12'8")
Width: 1.22m (4')
Tyres: 8 inch
Bed Size: 2m x 1.22 (6'3" x 4') please click the following link for more pictures of the Sprint range.

KAMPAROO
VACATIONER We also offer a very basic model in this range called a KAMPAROO VACATIONER, which is ideal for one or two people on the move or just for the short trips away and of course, it is very light and low to tow, making this a real fuel miser. It includes a bed and spare wheel plus jockey wheel. Everything else

SPECS
Body length..2.2m (7’2”)
Open Length...4.3m (14’3”)
Towing Height (Closed)...1.2M (3’10”)
Width...1.7M (5’7”)
Weight (+ or - 5%) ...350kg

Just another option PJ.
NSW Website
http://www.cubcampers.com.au/specifications.php

QLD Website
http://www.cubcampers.com/

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:02 pm

We're the ex-owners of a Cub - only really sold it because parking was an un-solvable problem.

A couple of things we found: the 'ezy wind' system is OK so long as the ribbon doesn't break. It didn't, but there's a part of the winding system which is always out in the weather and if the ribbon breaks, there's no other simple way to open or close the camper. The one without that system sounds less of a hassle.

The inside kitchen was almost impossible to use - the canvas wall is so close to the gas, it gave us the jim-jams so we used the camp kitchen instead. And washed up in the camp kitchen, too.

As well, the kitchen (which has to be collapsed and re-erected with opening and closing) has so little practical storage space as to make having it virtually useless. The sink was good for storing stuff in as was the draining board.

There's a ton of storage under the bed with the gas strut. This is fine if you can jam or tie stuff so it doesn't roll and bang around. It was reputed to be a double bed. Double what, we wondered? Elves, dwarfs? Not too well-upholstered seniors, that's for sure. With only one person and some dogs the 'double' bed would be fine. We solved the sleeping problem with one in the bed and the other 'downstairs' on a foldable bed. We also got a step made because the rise from the bottom story to the top was more than we could comfortably stretch.

The 240v power was never connected properly and one of the burners never worked properly despite the agent coming and looking and fiddling.

OK that's the 'down' sides and with a few reservations on the Cub's robustness - it shakes like blazes in a blow - for a lightweight camper, it's got a lot going for it. We towed it with a 6 cyl Rodeo which we'd bought to tow a much heaver camper, forget its weight now, but we towed the Cub legally without brakes.

It was watertight, it was cozy. We loved it! What we didn't love was trying to find safe and cheap storage and that eventually got to us to the extent that we sold it.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:37 pm

How long ago did you have your Cub CT Elaine??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Yes Redback have looked at those many times but every one freaks out when i say i have a Hyundai Getz and say i will ruin the car even towing something small..those particular ones are very pricey, way out of my reach.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:17 pm

PJ, how about just a good old fashioned covered box trailer to store your gear in?
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:20 pm

Yes Dettie i think that will be it.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:15 pm

gypsylady wrote:How long ago did you have your Cub CT Elaine??

About 6 years ago, GL.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:12 am

CampGrrlz wrote:About 6 years ago, GL.

Elaine

I just wonder how much they have changed in that time E.....saw on Pat Callinan's 4x4 show it looked very good.....all the cooking etc was done in an external kitchen. He also towed over a bit of rough terrain, not just up the blacktop.

Actually PJ....have a look at Jonnos campers....I believe they do a very lightweight CT, see link to pre loved on GC. http://goldcoastsouth.campertrailer.com ... =pre-owned

2 friends of mine have campers on Best Trailers; very light.....might be an idea to check them out as well. http://www.besttrailers.com.au/

Another friend used to have a Terios and she bought a light weight CT from Jimboomba CTs http://www.jimboombacampertrailers.com.au/

My only criticism about the Jimboomba CT is that it is a bit bigger than she needed and it therefore a little more difficult to put up by one person. But as far as weight it concerned it is extremely light.

She has an extra area on the floor section that requires extra poles etc and for one person this is not necessary and the CT would open and fold out much easier being the standard size off the trailer. Would also not require all the extra poles that she has and of course would be lighter and more easily managed. That is of course something you could talk to them about if you were interested.

You can only ask the question PJ and don't be too discouraged....there is a CT out there with your name on it.....I just know there is.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dettie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:46 am

Poodle Jewel wrote:Yes Dettie i think that will be it.

And I don't think there's anything at all wrong with that setup. I nearly went down that path myself before going with a cheapy CT. I found a place in Sydney where you can hire them for $15 a day, specifically for camping www.scram.com.au You'd be able to fit all your stuff into that and then have room in the back for your babies and a fridge.

Tow bars a bit expensive depending on your car model but well worth it for the convenience.

Just as another thought, have you considered selling your Hyundai and getting a second hand 4WD?

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Redback » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 am

OK PJ here ya go
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Cub-Camper_W0QQitemZ220575073331QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Caravans_RVs?hash=item335b4c8433

A 6x4 box will weigh about the same as one of these, most are full steel chassis and box, probably about the 150kg to 200kg, the Cub is steel chassis with alloy and ply frame and sides and will weigh from 160kg to 220kg.

I'd guess the Getz will have a 1t to 1.5t tow capacity and say 90kg to 120kg ball weight limit, making it perfect for this type of campertrailer, remember these Cub campers can be towed by a motorcycle.

Here's another
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/camp-let-camper-trailer-2006-mod_W0QQitemZ140391896751QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Caravans_RVs?hash=item20b00256af

Baz.
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Redback wrote:
I'd guess the Getz will have a 1t to 1.5t tow capacity

Baz.

Tow weight for a Getz ranges from 900kgs to 1100kgs...see link: http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp?make=Hyundai
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:48 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Redback wrote:
I'd guess the Getz will have a 1t to 1.5t tow capacity

Baz.

Tow weight for a Getz ranges from 900kgs to 1100kgs...see link: http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp?make=Hyundai

All good then, even if you overloaded this camper, I reckon 600kg max.

I guess in the end it's up to PJ, just throwing some other options to try and help.

While I was looking in Ebay, I had a look at the H-ace type campervans that PJ wants, boy they want some big $$ for vans that don't seem all that good condition wise.

Baz.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat