Dettie's camping tip of the day!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Dettie's camping tip of the day!

Postby Dettie » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:57 pm

When you're remote camping and you've got your port-porty outside with a view, turn the music on your ipon down so you can hear approaching cars!

And while we're on the subject of loo's, mine didn't come with a manual... after my son's winnie-the-pooh this morning it took me a few hours to realise you need to pull the release lever to get the pooh bear into the lower container. lol

Happy days!

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Re: Dettie's camping tip of the day!

Postby Titch » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Before he drops a pooh bear :booty :# line the bottom and lower sides with a little paper, stops streaks and slides easier.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:23 pm

titch wrote:Before he drops a pooh bear :booty :# line the bottom and lower sides with a little paper, stops streaks and slides easier.
Titch

Too much paper to break down....spray the inner bowl with olive oil....aids with the slide and lubricates the seal at the same time.

Another option is to fill the bowl with some water before the event just as your home toilet bowl is.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dettie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Ahhh thanks for the tips! I'll go the olive oil. Gyspy, I tried your recipe but ended up getting some green chemical's and loo paper. I'll just do a little experimenting.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:54 am

Sounds like you are having fun on your camping trip Dettie!!!! :***

Always found a shovel and a walk into the bush easier to clean up after though!!! :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:44 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:

Always found a shovel and a walk into the bush easier to clean up after though!!! :armsup

That is not a particularly environmentally friendly approach though XB. Ferals tend to dig it up and then you have toilet paper strewn all about the place.....not a pretty sight.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby markcrook » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:55 pm

Mmmmmhhhh, I was sorting out the CT at the weekend ready for an Easter get away and realised I hadn't emptied the porta loo since our last trip :--? ! Thankfully pooh bears are banned (as we only use it at night in-case of emergencies! and stay at CPs) - but it still wasn't a very pleasant job :# ! Usualy it get emptied before we leave.

So my tip of the day - make sure you empty your porta loo ASAP when you get home :?
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Lin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:28 pm

Always found a shovel and a walk into the bush easier to clean up after though!!!

I'm afraid that's what I often have to do too as I just don't have space in the car for a portaloo and regularly camp at places where there are no toilets at all.

(With "ferals" do you mean dogs? I've never met a wild dog in this area.)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:47 pm

Ferals as in any type of wild animal.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:32 pm

Anyone tried a 'silicone spray' type product on their porta potti's ????? ('non-skid'...lol)

We bought another Porta potti today......instructions there but no mention of how one may make the job easier by creating 'non-stick' sides etc.

I see a few of you guys mention 'olive oil'.......does this attract bugs,,,kock-roaches etc ????(i know the lids kept closed but kock-roaches will go anywhere for food.....plus can the olive oil break down the seals ??? as some food oils will.

sorry...only way it would let me spell kockroaches with out turning the word into 'dingaling....

cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Hi Rosco

I have been using the olive oil for some time and have not had any issues thus far with attracting any nasties. I imagine spray silicon would achieve the same result but would also be more expensive. The advantage of using olive oil is the seal lubricating properties and lanolin has recently been recommended to me as well for lubrication.

I have just discovered that using the nappy soaker to clean the bowl is a real winner. So if you have any unwanted 'marks' on the bowl....just fill the bowl enough to cover the offending marks with water and add some nappy soaker to it....let it stand for a bit and then flush....marks disappear down the hole with the nappy soaker.

I also refresh the toilet over night with this same practice.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks Gypsy....I'll try that next time.......ha,,,maybe I'm showing my age but we have always used liquid bleach (janola...to all the Kiwi's).....and it works very well....as well.
Before we head off camping, I normally run a cup of it through the water system ..this kills any germs that may have built up plus will take any stale or bad smells out of the water lines.

Another use for bleach is cleaning off the Bird****....and also gum muck from the trees.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:38 pm

Bleach is a good one for the home loo but not environmentally friendly for a porta loo. I doubt there'd be too many places that would be happy for you to dump the contents into their septic system knowing you were using bleach Rosco.

At home I am a big fan of domestos....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Sorry Gypsie......I wasn't meaning for camping....we use a product called aqua-kem.
We were using tablets that came with the toilet we bought for our bus until we realized that they were not enviromentally friendly (important to Kiwi's....as well)

We use the bleach solely for cleaning....and sterilizing.

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to General Chit-Chat