North Straddie

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

North Straddie

Postby jellycamp » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share an expeience. I have just come back from an overnighter to north Straddie. I love it over there as it is very picturesque. WE stayed at Cylinder Beach camp ground this time and I can say that I don't think i would ever go back there again.

We were given two sites right next to each other as there was us and some friends. I don't know the exact size of the camp sites but once we had the tents up we had about a two metre square space to set up the kitchen area and put chair and things. With four adults and four kids it was so crowded and absolutely ridiculous! The way that they have set up the camp ground also, you can't park your car next to the tent so there goes any 12v lighting ideas that you may of had. And the clincher for me.....$52.50 per night for one little patch of grass. My guess it was about 4x4 metres!

REgardless of the space, we still had a nice time. Went for a walk on the beach at sunrise. Very Nice.

Hopefully the next trip will be better!
Life is meant to be simple!
jellycamp
Camping King

Re: North Straddie

Postby jcd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:47 am

jellycamp wrote:Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share an expeience. I have just come back from an overnighter to north Straddie. I love it over there as it is very picturesque. WE stayed at Cylinder Beach camp ground this time and I can say that I don't think i would ever go back there again.

We were given two sites right next to each other as there was us and some friends. I don't know the exact size of the camp sites but once we had the tents up we had about a two metre square space to set up the kitchen area and put chair and things. With four adults and four kids it was so crowded and absolutely ridiculous! The way that they have set up the camp ground also, you can't park your car next to the tent so there goes any 12v lighting ideas that you may of had. And the clincher for me.....$52.50 per night for one little patch of grass. My guess it was about 4x4 metres!

REgardless of the space, we still had a nice time. Went for a walk on the beach at sunrise. Very Nice.

Hopefully the next trip will be better!

Try Adder Rock camp ground (about 1-2 km before Cylinder Beach). Probably the same cost, because the camping grounds on Straddie are nearly all run by the Redland Shire Council. I was there a couple of weekends ago and there is tons of room for camping (in theory I think it is supposed to be 6x6 m per camp site), unpowered sites weren't actually marked out, the amenities were pretty good and the onsite manager was a very nice guy. Also, cars are not able to drive onto the camping surface but you can get pretty close. Probably not quite as scenic as Cylinder Beach but once again it is just a short walk to the beach.

Bye Jeff.
NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, Cooper Discovery ATR's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Aux. Fuel Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box, OzTent RV-2
jcd
Boy Scout

Postby TBF » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:51 am

Try camping there over the peak weeks at christmas.
I did for 7 nights
You are packed in so close, you can hear your neighbour "change his mind"
Parking is always a problem.
Great beach though.

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:36 pm

And what about the cost of getting over on the ferry??? How much for vehicle and camper??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby jcd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:20 am

gypsylady wrote:And what about the cost of getting over on the ferry??? How much for vehicle and camper??

Not sure about the cost for the camper but just for the car and 1 passenger it was $129 return on either of the ferrys.

Bye Jeff.
NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, Cooper Discovery ATR's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Aux. Fuel Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box, OzTent RV-2
jcd
Boy Scout

Postby amanda » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:26 am

The size of the sites and the cost of the ferry have always been what's put me off Straddie. A beautiful place, but heck there's plenty of other beautiful spots around without the cramped conditions, well above average site fees and the added expense of the ferry.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:49 pm

The cost of the ferry is what has always put me off also.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby jellycamp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Talk about knowing when your neighbour changed their mind alright! :***

I have camped at adder rock before and I would definitely prefer their to Cylinder beach. I agree with eeveryone else though, the cost of the ferry has put me off every going again. For one night camping you are paying nearly $200. Not for me!

Emma
Life is meant to be simple!
jellycamp
Camping King

Postby dea » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:11 pm

couldnt agree more.. freinds went over on the weekend.. for car & trailor was 4230.. beofre any camping fees.. no way in hell i would pay that... i rather like my spots that i pay under $70 for 2 nights for all 6 of us ....
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:00 pm

dea wrote:couldnt agree more.. freinds went over on the weekend.. for car & trailor was 4230.. ....

I think your meant $230 dea....just a typo I hope.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby dea » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:44 pm

yes sorry gypsey $230 ...
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:39 am

dea wrote:yes sorry gypsey $230 ...

Good dea....I was just a wee bit concerned for a moment...ha, ha...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to General Chit-Chat