To Tarp or Not Tarp for one or more Nights

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

To Tarp or Not Tarp for one or more Nights

Postby Titch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:47 pm

We have never Tarp,d, we sometimes throw a fly over, for grotty sites.
Possum, bird and sap.
What do you do for a night or two?
Interested.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: To Tarp or Not Tarp for one or more Nights

Postby Rosco532 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:07 am

Titch, We are normally 'Tarpers'...even if its for just a couple of nights....for most of the reasons you have already said plus a few.
We recently stayed at Kenilworth just for one night and only had our Nylon tent....in the morning the 'Due' was so heavy everything that touched the walls was soaking wet, That would not ever happen if we had used our Tarp......then theres the night we did a stop over in Landsborough.....and never used the tarp....we had a massive storm during the night and branch's were flying every where.....we were so lucky one never landed on our heads...here again the tarps are really good at doing their jobs helping protect you & your tent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kbel » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:03 am

As a recent convert to the benefits of tarps (thanks Roscoe for all your advice), I would put up a tarp ...

... but not my huge one. :lol:

I'd definately look at slinging a small one just to cover the tent, or even one of those lighter gazebo jobbies. Of course the fact that as soon as I pack up my camping gear I magically transform into my secret superhero status as The Rainmaker may be a factor.

Kirri
If a man speaks in the middle of the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Kbel
Camping King

Postby sienna » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:43 am

When I used my little polyester tent, I used to put up a small tarp in front of the tent for some extra shade. Now I have the ct, and I have been putting up the big tarp mainly because I don't want to have to come home and put up my wet canvas ct in the front yard to dry out. Sure it takes more time and can be a pain in the a@s but so is putting away a wet canvas tent! Usually when I go away it is for at least 2 nights so it's not so much effort for a short period of time.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Pauly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:14 am

I tarp my CT everytime. We would rather spend 1 hour extra in set up time than have a wet camper to pack up, plus it gives us somewhere dry to sit, play cards, cook and eat. Several times we have set up and packed up in the rain, so easy doing it all under a tarp, yes you get wet setting up the tarp but much rather that than wet gear.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:44 am

I never leave home to camp without a tarp.....ALWAYS tarp up for a static camp. Only time I have never tarped was on my outback trip last year and only in the outback, once close enough to the coast and overnight dews, tarped up again.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby capella_ben » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:06 pm

our new CT has a tropical roof, bit like a tarp in respects of cooling. the dew willprobably be a problem, but we generally leave later in the day and things have dried out by then.

Ben
capella_ben
Captain Camping

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:59 pm

I always tarp..for all the above mentioned reasons and more.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to General Chit-Chat