A tip for the ladies

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

A tip for the ladies

Postby donkeynomad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:59 pm

I can't find any posts on this, so...

I know they aren't common in Australia but my favorite thing to take camping, that I would never be without is my menstrual cup. No more wings and strings and having to cart out messy stuff when you are finished camping.

For those who aren't aware, a menstrual cup (can buy on ebay or from the manufacturers sites) is a silicone (the type of silicone in replacement joints) cup that is inserted, catches the blood and you just remove and tip out the contents a couple of times a day. Wipe or rinse and reinsert, you only need to give it a boil or sterilise when you get home.

They are proven safe and sooo much more convenient than pads and tampons. I LOVE my cup and have been using it for over two years. I have a Diva cup but there are around 15 manufacturers around the world. Just think about how much stuff goes to landfill for every woman and the environmental benefits are amazing, that is another advantage.

Apart from a little practice to use for the first period, they are easy to use. I recommend them to everyone, especially campers and others who are away from a bathroom for extended periods of time.

Cheers,
Rowan
donkeynomad
Boy Scout

Re: A tip for the ladies

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:08 am

RACK OFF HAIRY LEGS.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Pauly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:17 am

Well I have been thinking for a while now this site is being over run by the ladies and largely becoming a ladies camping forum, this post takes the cake :roll:
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby HGMonaro » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am

know any ladies by the name of Rowan?
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby donkeynomad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:53 pm

What is wrong with you people? My name is rowan - and I am a woman. There are many female rowans in Australia, and many more in Europe where it is a popular girls name.

I thought this was a serious forum for discussing everything to do with camping, and this is an important subject for us women. I am disappointed in you all.

Rowan
donkeynomad
Boy Scout

Postby Titch » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:10 pm

I am still waiting on the pictures of the travels with the Donkeys.
Serious.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby HGMonaro » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:42 pm

donkeynomad wrote:What is wrong with you people? My name is rowan - and I am a woman. There are many female rowans in Australia, and many more in Europe where it is a popular girls name.

apologies for my assumption, it did seem a weird post for a fellar! However it's not a common girls name here... it's not even a popular boys name!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby donkeynomad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:29 pm

These are the only two pictures I have at the moment, the others are on a disc in storage.

The two front ones donkeys are a bit bigger than the normal ones you see in Australia because I was breeding half mammoths (A large American breed).

Rowan
donkeynomad
Boy Scout

Postby Titch » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:35 pm

They are big, the ones I have met would be much smaller. so you did that for YEARS?
Thanks,
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby donkeynomad » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:40 am

Yes, I did it for about 20 years and loved it. There were problems getting into some places that I wanted to go (like national parks where horses and donkeys are not allowed) so I now walk pulling a little trekking cart with my stuff. I miss the donkeys though. I will post a pic of my trekking cart later today in a different post as this is getting off the track.
You won't see many mammoth donkeys in Australia as there are only a few breeders here. I used half mammoths because the full breeds grow to the size of draft horses and are too big to lift heavy packs onto.

Cheers,
Rowan
donkeynomad
Boy Scout

Postby mr_grumble » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:57 am

Good to see this post got off the initial subject ::()
Just a male perspective I guess.........

Anyhow, travelling with the donkeys (or horses / camel, etc) would be such a great way to see the country. Drovers travelling the long paddock still live this way and from what I've seen it's a simple but enjoyable way to live.
In the days now where campers have to worry about fuel costs, equipment costs, portable fridges, generators, portable TV's, spending time this way sounds attractive and would love to have the time and inclination to do so.
Good to see this lifestyle alive............

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby him and I » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:25 pm

:hello:
Hi Rowan, getting back to your original text, i wasn't sure if this was for real or not, so looked on the internet re: menstrual cups" and lo and behold there they were ! I am not in any need for these things anymore, (thank goodness) but these little cups would have been very helpful, Only a woman can appreciate the fact that this "time of the month" is a nuisance. The amount of rigmarole we have to cart around with us!! Love your donkeys, i met up with a caravan being pulled by a couple of camels at Pilliga once. So did u say you were walking around now pulling your own little cart ? Good for you
Maori girl and her kiwi bloke
him and I
Camping King

Postby mytribe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:45 pm

Greetings Rowan from one cup user to another (I'm a Lunette girl myself :lol: ), you've really gotta be careful throwing around comments and info on the old natural menstrual products, because people just squirm as soon as you mention other alternatives.

Personally I actually prefer to use cloth pads and have some absolutely devine designs and materials in my collection.

Love the pics of your donkey travels, My Grandfather and two of my Uncles used to be Drovers, so I've seen quite a few long paddocks in my time, so travelling with Donkey's must have been viewed as quite unusual from most people. (I'm not even sure if that makes sense, been in the bush for 4 days and the brains gone to mush :*** )
Me,DH and 6 freeloading midgets..plus the furry animals
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Activity_Dept » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:54 pm

OK I ain't gunna touch this one with a barge poll. Gypsylady I have just appointed you deputy moderator. I think Ozzy you can handle the boys stuff and Gypsylady can you handle the girls stuff and work out if this is the kind of handy stuff you wana keep on top of (so to speak). I think it is a little too much info and we might be heading down the path of setting up a girly section where boys enter at your own risk. I'm sure Ozzy'll be spending a bit of time in there tho (jus kiddin Ozzy).

But anyway your call Gypsylady, you are now officially deputized.

Let me know if it is not working properly, zap SPAM and girls stuff but leave the cute nudy girl pics for Ozzy to decide (kidding).

Activity_Dept :$ :$
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Good luck GL....

Not really the sort of stuff I like to discuss on a camping forum...getting sqeamish now ::()

EEEEEWWWWW.

Put it in the same section as that lady wee like a man thingamawhatzit :beer
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat