A pic of my trekking cart

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

A pic of my trekking cart

Postby donkeynomad » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:01 pm

As promised, here is a picture of my trekking cart. I have done thousands of kms with this cart and have camped over much of Southern Vic and Southern SA. It is a bit bulky looking in this photo because I take my swag with me in winter.
I know the American trekking carts are much fancier but this one made to my specs gets the job done.

I carry my bedding, clothing, spares as well as 3 weeks worth of food in it. It is pulled with a waist belt which is under my coat in this picture.
Cheers,
Rowan
donkeynomad
Boy Scout

Re: A pic of my trekking cart

Postby Titch » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:52 pm

How many K do you average a day.
How much water do you carry?
Sticky beak aren't I
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:17 am

Wow what an amazing adventure,i`m with Titch tell us more.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby donkeynomad » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:08 am

Hi again,

I don't like to push myself - I don't need to. When I had my pack donkeys I did about 25 - 30km a day but pulling this cart is slower so I only do around 15 - 20km a day (honestly I spend more time camping in the bush that actually travelling). It really depends on many things such as if I am in a hurry to get anywhere, whether there are lots of hills, the weather, and stuff. I rarely need to get anywhere in particular so I just stop where I find a good camp spot, or the scenery in nice. I don't really work hard.
I carry around 7 litres of water but there are heaps of freshwater streams and springs where I usually travel, and people are always happy to fill up my bottles.

I thought about taking people on walking trips/tours with these carts to pay my way so I don't have to prune grapes every winter, but it is so difficult to find people who don't think that camping only means a caravan and flushing toilet. This travelling is not hard but most people are so soft nowdays.

Cheers,
Rowan
donkeynomad
Boy Scout

Postby Beau » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:10 pm

That carts excellent Rowan! Much easier than constantly lugging a backpack, I do quite a bit of fully loaded bicycle camping/touring using pannier bags and a trailer.

Have you seen those very old boyscout trekking carts? in the old pictures of them they have wagon wheels, but more modern adaptions use sulky cart rims and tires, they are also balanced so the axel is in the centre like yours.

I like your tramping cart.
Beau
We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities. -Nessmuk
Beau
Camping King

Return to General Chit-Chat