Firewood

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Firewood

Postby Redback » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:45 pm

If you go to a landscape supplier, you can get 1 cubic metre for $80 to $90 (1/2 a trailer load) and take pieces of that for camping, or buy a chainsaw and cut your own, Bunnings sell petrol chainsaws for $150, they are more than enough for cutting wood for campfires.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:24 pm

We have a combustable heater at home, and a shed full of firewood that is accumilated during the hotter months. A mix of logs and old fence palings work best.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby roosterbruce » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:22 pm

A good cheap fire lighter is used tea bags...just dry them out , put them in a jar with some kero...they burn quite well for some time. Fire wood is getting harder to find with so many people out travelling, we try to carry a couple of bags of smaller type stuff and try to replenish it when in or near wooded areas.
roosterbruce

Postby Lin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:22 am

The wood supplied by the ranger at Wee Jasper was great. Dry and full of termite holes. We did have to rely on our male friend with his brand new block splitter to chop it up in usable blocks though.

And the one night that I started the fire, I still managed to smother it somewhat!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:11 am

Lin wrote:And the one night that I started the fire, I still managed to smother it somewhat!

Sounds like it might have been too much too soon Lin!!

It's like everything else with camping.....it will improve the more you do it.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:19 pm

So I went out and bought myself a proper axe today. A wood splitting axe. With a fibreglass handle so it's nice and light. And I'll start pracitising chopping wood, bad back or not!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:47 pm

Be gentle Lin....and kind to that back of yours. I use a tomahawk for the small stuff.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:21 pm

Lin I know its after the fact but an easier more back friendly way to split wood is with a boulster hammer and a couple of wedges. Hold the wedge, hit it with a hammer until its in the wood then hit it home, log opens up and you use the second wedge to finish it.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:13 pm

I considered the wedges, but wasn't sure if that would work for big blocks of wood. Ah well, if the axe doesn't agree with me, I'll sell it to a friend.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Dettie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:41 pm

I love this forum! You'll get there Lin :)
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Pauly » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Lin the wedges work. At christmas I cut some logs about 2' long and 1' across, took them back to camp and split them with a hammer and the head of my axe, broke the handle the day before.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:28 am

I had to resurrect this topic as the firewood on our winter camping trip caused us headaches. Most of the week it was just me and a female friend. Neither of use have much experience with making fires, let alone chopping wood.

We managed, but only by using heaps and heaps of twigs and branches. Fortunately there were plenty of those because they had had the mother of all storms there recently.

I took my new axe, but we both tried to split a (bought) block of wood and it was impossible. I'm sure that lots of people will say chopping wood with an axe is all about technique but I'm convinced you need a lot more arm muscle than most women have. Especially me!

I hit that block about 25 times, having to put it on the ground to get leverage to pull the axe out each time, and only managed to split a tiny piece off! Really not worth the effort. So we ended up feeding the fire with lots (and I mean LOTS) of twigs and branches and then put the logs on whole, which did work, but lots of effort also.

My friend bought a saw which we ended up using to chop up a fallen tree that was blocking our ocean view. :oops: The trunk turned out to be too green to burn well. But the branches burnt ok.

Anyway, I think I'll go buy one of those wedges and a good hammer and buy some firewood at the servo to practice on! It's quite stressful to not be able to prepare good firewood when it gets dark early and too cold to go without.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:46 am

Lin wrote:... I'll go buy one of those wedges...

There's a specific axe for this job - called (un-imaginatively) a 'block splitter' - one of those would be simpler to use than a wedge and hammer.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Lin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:51 am

I had one of those with a short handle and couldn't use it... Maybe I could with a long handled one, but I think I like the idea of wedge and hammer better... Worth a try anyway?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Lin wrote:I had one of those with a short handle and couldn't use it... Maybe I could with a long handled one, but I think I like the idea of wedge and hammer better... Worth a try anyway?

Anything which strikes you as practical is worth a try! The only block-splitters I've seen are the long-handled ones like ordinary axes in size. Used to sell them in the Hardware store ... Tomahawk which is now called Hatchet is just a short-handled axe (but now made overseas with an Australian brand name :-(.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat