Disorganised

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Disorganised

Postby Lin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 am

I normally start preparing for a camping trips at least a week in advance. So all I have to do is chuck the food and the ice in the esky and put some items like pillows and toothbrushes in the car on the day and leave.

But for this weekend's one I have not done a thing yet! I've no list of what I need to do either. I'm just going to wing it. I am hoping that my experience will help me and that I can get everything packed before noon tomorrow. Ahum.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Disorganised

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Good luck Lin. Hope it all works out and you don't forget too much stuff. :***

Let us know how it all goes & have a great time. :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:28 pm

The more you do it the quicker it gets and it almost becomes automatic. A few weeks ago i had not planned a trip but had a rough week at work and on the spur of the moment thought i`ve gotta get out of here.I`d already made the decision not to tent it just tarp over the car,well that was the quickest pack in history and although i packed more basic than i would normally i didn`t forget anything that i needed,BUT i do have camp boxes packed and ready to go ,like a kitchen box,gets cleaned and repacked ready to go again,same with what i call my fire box,lights,candles,mozzie stuff,gas lighters kept in a box packed ready to go. Bedding packed ready to go so really it was just a matter of putting these boxes in, i grabbed bread rolls, cold meat, milk for coffee, fruit and some cereal, the dogs and their food and off i went.
so don`t stress you will get there... i guess i`m a bit better off as no kiddies....except fur ones :lol:
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:39 pm

That is my job for this winter: to organise my camping gear more so all I have to do is chuck it in the car. I even intend to add a laminated checklist of what is supposed to be in the box and to seperate the 'no maintenance/replacement required' from the things that do require checking, like battery operated devices and non-perishable food stuff. I do have my kitchen box, but everything else is all over the place. I need to organise the garage first, which will take time and lots of motivation.

For now, I'll just have to rely on my memory to not forget anything. I'll need to really focus.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:44 pm

I am sure it will all come together for you Lin & you'll no doubt have a great time whether you leave something behind or not.

You don't strike me as lacking in confidence and that is a big plus.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Sometimes I can really stress about preparing for a camping trip. I sometimes have dreams about packing and forgetting stuff!

I often worry about food too. But I am taken frozen meals this time and some side dishes that I'm making tonight. And my friends are cooking for us on Saturday. I did go to the markets today and have all our fruit and vege ready.

So in a way this last minute packing kind of works better for me as I haven't allowed myself to think about it so I have felt no pressure.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby hoadie72 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Hey Lin,

It sounds like you already have a checklist, but if not, there are some suggestions here

http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/welcome/page13.php
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby Dettie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:28 pm

PJ is on the money. I now keep a log of what I need to replace/restock as I go. At the moment I use 4 big boxes like PJ;

Back of car
Food box with dry food basics which sits next to the fridge

Inside trailer
Utility box for mozzie spray etc
Cooking box for pans and inside this sits a cooking utensils box
Games box which also holds some larger items like the gas mantle

Definitely agree that it becomes auto pilot and faster with time and confidence that you haven't forgotten anything follows.

Hope you had fun!
Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby toucan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Lin,
I have a camping checklist that i use and everything is ready to go in there respective boxes, but i would love to know what you didn't take and didn't miss, and what you took and didn't use! Also what you are glad you didn't forget!
Hope you had a great time!
toucan
Camping King

Postby Rosco532 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Wow....for a change it sounds like ''The Guys' are organised....and the Girls ain't....lol...(Well...not ALL of them)
We have all our 'stuff' packed in the trailer ...some loose that needs to air...the rest, cooking stuff, tables,camp chairs etc etc is packed in plastic containers with lids on.....then...the only thing I have to do is add up how many hours we have had out of each gas bottle and decide wether they are ready for a fill......(used to weigh them but found its just as easy to add up the hours).....chuck in the fresh food / milk...and hit the road.

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Malcur » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:12 am

That's what a camper trailer is for - somewhere to keep all the camping gear between trips :***

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:48 am

Keeping my stuff packed all the time is not an option unfortunately, though some of it may live in the boot of my car for weeks until I need the space.

I have a checklist somewhere, but decided to quickly make one from scratch at work. And I added a new column to note where in the car it would be packed: roof, boot, passenger seat, back seat (on the ground - child and dog occupy the seat itself).

And it was a quicker pack than I had thought it would be. Also, my gear was more organised than I thought it would be. I didn't have to hunt around for torches or other things. It was pretty much all together already.

There were some things I forgot to put on my checklist which I remembered by association. Like the table!

I left the lantern at home on purpose and should've taken that because we ended up cooking in the dark twice.

But there was nothing that I forgot! And nothing that I should've left at home either.

I was also the most relaxed setting up the tent as I've ever been. It wasn't the best set-up (the annex looked a bit crooked) but it was a fast one. Packing up was a very sweaty affair as I did it in the full sun in the afternoon, but I am really getting quite good at it and it is always a good feeling when it's done/
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:08 am

Congratulations Lin on a successful 'disorganised' camp. I knew you would sail it in and it seems you did just that.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:25 am

Great Lin, it does become easier each time and almost auto matic and even now i might try something new to see if it is quicker,last time i camped a lovely couple come over and helped put my tarp up i was ever so grateful and let them know it.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:02 am

Congrats Lin. Sounds like you had a great time.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat