Camping with friends...

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Camping with friends...

Postby doakley » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:56 pm

We are going away this weekend with 2 other families.

How do others do it? ie. Do you eat together, or go back to your own camper to prepare and eat your own meals? Do you 'share' the meals? What has worked out the best for your trips?

I am very interested to know what everyone does?

many thanks in advance.
doakley
Boy Scout

Re: Camping with friends...

Postby Titch » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:07 pm

We do breakfast and lunch by ourselves,Gives us space. unless the group is having, say, a pancake brekkie. or such.
Morning coffee is usually a group thing,
We always set our space the first day, sitting down with a book in hand works,
Its a all depends on how you feel and how comfortable you are with your friends.
Do what you feel comfortable with.
If you find the friends pushy , take a walk or drive.
Do not carry Knives
;)
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby toucan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:24 pm

We go camping with a group of either family or friends all the time, in fact, we have never gone camping with just 'us'! We find that with kids they eat at different times and eat different food so we always do dinner on our own.
We would go about our day, sometimes doing what they were doing, sometimes on our own, but usually always meet up for afternoon drinks with cheese and crackers...lol. ;) This is usually "put on the table what you have and everyone dig in". When the kids needed dinner we would go back to our camp, feed them then after dinner meet back up with everyone for more drinks and a lot of laughter.
During the day when everyone gets a bit too much for me, including my own family, ( i like some solitude) i find a quiet spot and read. My husband goes for a fish when he needs time to himself.
This works for us, it might for you too.
toucan
Camping King

Postby gmhemi » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:25 am

We normally join socially when we are settled and feel like company. I't s not really a pressured thing , just what feels right. Also we would send the kids to a different area so adult can talk about adult stuff .
gmhemi
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:31 am

The majority of camps I attend are a result of my organisation and always include friends and sometimes family. Occasionally I camp solo but for the most of it I arrange for others to camp with me.

I have one very specific group of friends and we cook together and eat together with a couple of us cooking and the others cleaning up. I have camped for several weeks with these friends and never had an issue.

The other camps are pretty much where we are camped pretty close to each other where we can prepare our meals separately and still chat and then come together to eat.

I will often cook a batch of scones, damper or cake and we will all share & one or two others are the same. Sometimes cooking a batch of scones will be a bit of a social thing as well. My camp always ends up being the communal camp.

The best advice I can give you is to go gently….set some boundaries as others have mentioned….the boundaries can always be reallocated and it is easier to bring them in then move them out if you are feeling overwhelmed.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby doakley » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:20 am

Thanks for the tips.

We all get on well, so I hope it will be a great weekend! I'll fill you in when we get home!
doakley
Boy Scout

Postby Lin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:27 am

I find it really depends on the friends. With my best "camping buddies" we always cook dinner together. Breakfast and lunch we do our own thing, but often there's some sharing and swapping happening too.

If it's a short trip, we often organise our dinners in advance. Last weekend I offered to make dinner the first night as I should've been the first one to arrive (I wasn't, but that didn't matter). Then the next night, my friends cooked dinner for us. Which was really funny because there were 3 of them and they had this massive long table set-up so it looked like a scene from Master Chef.

We also take turns with the dishes. We don't really keep tabs and it isn't even mentioned. You just do them when you think it's your turn. It works really well.

Have fun!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:01 pm

The family we camp with now it's usually only a weekend trip. We cook our own meat and us girls usually share taking two different salads, or I bring dessert and she brings bread/rice/pasta or salad.

Brekkie the kids usually cook pancakes on our stove and the adults usually have eggs and bacon on their stove so yes we do share but bring our own food. We all put our own dirty dishes in our own sinks and wash up separately.

Lunch is usually a combined affair as we put all the food on the table and the kids make their own rolls etc as they are all old enough to do this now.

I only bring food for us but we all end up sharing as both families are very easy going and get on quite well.

This has not always been the case and we have had friends that have been pretty bossy and we have just plodded along rather than make a fuss but we have decided to no longer camp with this family as we end up way too stressed by the end of the weekend!!!!

Hope you have a great time. ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby jellycamp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:37 pm

When we camp with other families, we all take our own gear and our own food. We always tend to share things like crackers and dip in the afternoon at dingaling hour. We also tend to offer food around if there is more then enough or left overs but we always cook for ourselves and clean up our own stuff. We just find this makes it easier.
Life is meant to be simple!
jellycamp
Camping King

Return to General Chit-Chat