Petrol generators

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Petrol generators

I have one and I love it!
36%
I don't have one but they don't bother me.
5%
I don't have one and I would like to see them banned at some campsite.
59%

Total votes : 22

Petrol generators

Postby Lin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:36 am

I really don't like them. Our neighbours at Wee Jasper had one and it really spoiled the experience for me somewhat. I like to listen to the silence and the sounds of nature. And to have that noise that sounds like a motorcycle engin so close to us really annoyed me. There were lots of "How's the serenity" jokes made.

I also don't quite understand why someone would absolutely need power as I don't find having no power a problem at all. I'd like a fridge to run on gas, but apart from that I don't need any other appliances when camping.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Petrol generators

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:51 am

I really don't mind a gennie if it is one of the Honda quiet ones.

The people camped next to me at Easter had a HUGE gennie, possibly a 5 or 7kva and it was a bit noisy but no where near as extreme as the music coming from a few camps over.

Yes I have a gennie but only ever use it when necessary and that is normally on extended camps when there has been inclement weather and there has not been enough sun for the solar panels to recharge the batteries. Consideration is always a must when running a gennie IMO.

Sometimes there is also a medical requirement for a generator and this is something that a lot of people seem to forget.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 am

but no where near as extreme as the music coming from a few camps over.

Ah, that's another interesting topic. I never take music when I camp because nature is my music. But some of my friends do like playing CDs. And singing along and dancing by the campfire late at night when the alcohol has taken its effect! I forgive them because they're my beautiful friends who are very considerate in every other way. But I do often think our neighbours probably don't see it the same way.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Redback » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:57 am

Noisey, smelly bloody things, they should be banned at any camping area, I hate them and the people that use them to run things while camped because they too stupid to use 12v or gas and don't give a rats arse how it affects others around them.

Our last camping trip, 3 young blokes camped for one night and ran their generator all night until they went too bed and for what, to run one fluro light :$ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

We have never had the need for a generator and have never even considered one, solar is the way to go, it costs around the same price to set up solar as it does to buy a good genny and if we have started to lose power and can't charge via our solar panel because of bad light or rain, I just hook up an inverter and battery charger to the cars auxillary battery and charge the battery that way, usually overnight.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:17 am

Lin wrote:I never take music when I camp because nature is my music.

I totally AGREE with you on that one Lin.....the sounds of the bush are magic.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:37 pm

Hate the things, ban them from every camp or picnic ground, only place for them is on a building site.

We have music playing at camp pretty much all the time, BUT I walk between us and the camp next to us to make sure its not carrying.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby toucan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 pm

We have no need for one and i would hate to be near a campsite that had one going all night. Sometimes its not the genny making the most noise but the appliances plugged into it...like the music, tv and what i saw last Xmas, a Wii!

We sometimes have music going in the evening and i'll admit after a few drinks with everyone it gets a bit louder, but its always off at whatever time the park rules are.

My kids have iPods (so do I) so if they need time to themselves they put on their own music and this doesn't annoy anyone elses peace and serenity. The kids dont use them much anyway as they reckon they are anti-social and you can't talk to anyone with them in their ears.
toucan
Camping King

Postby dea » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:37 pm

we have one .. but never would we run it all night or day for that matter .. we use it for our 80l fridge .. & only use it if we are camped for more then 4 days ...its handy for other things too... we have only just got it & used it the once so far lol
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby gmhemi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Once camped near some people who used a generator to power there big stereo to listen to load music . They couldn't here the music for the generator so they turned it up. .. not fun..
gmhemi
Camping King

Postby jellycamp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:56 pm

We organised a big camp trip with some friends a couple of christmas's ago. There ended up being 5 families that came and the majority of us were camping in tents on unpowered sites. There was two families in vans which had booked powered sites. When they realised that the powered sites were miles away from the unpowered they gave up their sites to move down near where the majority of us were.

It was really hot while we were there (40 degrees each day and only dropping to 30 at night). We had no fans except a tiny little battery operated one that you had to hang five cm's from your nose to get any air from and we sweated every night. One of the van dwellers decided to run their generator all night so they could run their air con. So not only did we have to stay awake cause it was hot but we couldn't sleep because it was really noisy as well. Finally my husband got up around midnight and told them to turn it off which was met with a lot of dribble about how hot it was and they couldn't sleep blah blah blah!

Funnily enough we don't camp with these people anymore and we dont' even see them! Mind you there was a lot of reasons why we don't see them. The generator was just the last straw.

I don't mind them during the day but they should definitely be switched off at night.
Life is meant to be simple!
jellycamp
Camping King

Postby Rosco532 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:29 pm

I have to agree with Redback....12v with an inverter with a solar charger....thats all we normally use.
Couple of times I have had to 'boost' the battery....I simply put the jumperleads onto the Nissan and charge it for 10ish minutes.....thats heaps & does every thing we want....Quick,Clean & Quiet.

I think gennies have a place but most of the people we camp with that use them seem to turn them off around 7....apparently....thats the unwritten rule with using them.

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:59 am

Personally, the noise annoys me more during the day then at night. Part of why I like camping is to get away from the noise of the city. Even if Canberra is nowhere near as noisy as a "real city"! :) It's usuallly dead quiet at my place at night, but during the day you hear the traffic, the neighbour mowing the lawn, etc...

That's what I don't want when I'm camping. All I want is bush sounds, day and night.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby snake_dr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:39 pm

I dont own one, but when we camp away from powered sites we take our old mans 2kva Honda. I will buy one of take over Dad's smaller one when he lets me.

But i'll put money on it if you camped near us you wouldn't have an issue, and maybe thats the problem here, most of the tools that use them shouldn't, and banning them in my books would be harsh.

When I use a genny camping im extremely conscious of the noise and how it might impact on other campers, so we use it only for things like the microwave for the kids bottles and would try and combine any toaster or kettle usage around the same time so its kept to a minimum.

Its only ever run for 15 or 20 minutes at a time max, never after dark if possible and always being a honda where possible aimed into the bush or away from people.

My worst experience was a few easters ago at Andrew Drynan, we camped up the top on the left hand side of the gully up there, some muppets over the other side had a cheap huge genny running constantly, facing us.... i think they nearly got attacked by the whole park on day 2, and the ranger made them stop using it.
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Return to General Chit-Chat