Whingers

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Whingers

Postby Lin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:31 am

I had a gorgeous weekend with my camping buddies. But they left on Sunday. Then a couple arrived Sunday arvo and stayed till Monday.

I decided they really aren't my favourite people to camp with! I think they only came to do me a favour and I found myself wishing I hadn't asked. I would've had a better time with just me and my daughter.

"I really need a proper coffee now". "Everything I need seems to always be 2 meters that way or 2 meters that way." "I'm so tired." "My back hurts." And so on.

And then they kept putting the dog they brought (not theirs, they were minding it) on the lead because he was "swimming too much". Huh? The dog was really well-behaved and a labrador! He was having a ball and they were just mollycoddling him and spoiling his fun.

Coupled with the fact that for some reason my daughter always turns into a feral monkey when she's around these people and they don't have any patience with her, I won't be asking them along again.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Whingers

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:51 am

Sorry to hear they were such pains Lin.... really ruins a camping weekend.

I always have to hold back the urge to just say "SHUT-UP" will you. It's really hard with people like that. We used to camp with people who she was a control freak and the kids were feral and always wrecking stuff, just were not taught to respect other people's stuff and how to look after their own stuff!!! :x And to make it worse it was ALWAYS our kids that got the blame for telling their kids off for wrecking their stuff!!!! Or our kids were blamed for making their kids do what they did. What a crock!! We had had enough and no longer camp with them and it is sooooo much more peaceful and our kids are a lot happier doing their own thing.

We have been camping with another couple over the last year and all the kids(7 all up) get on really well, not one fight and all the adults just do our own thing but together if you get what I mean. We take our own stuff foodwise but end up sharing which is just fine by me but with the other couple she used to always want me to go and do a big pre-camp shopping trip which used to drive me mental as she would ALWAYS buy too much food and WAY too much rubbish food, I think apples & bananas are easier to transport than a massive box of 40 bags of chips!!!! ::() I ended up saying no I would take my own stuff but she wasn't impressed but too bad, glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. Anyway enough of my ranting, just know EXACTLY where you are coming from Lin. Been there done that and never going back!!

:roll: Ummmm Labs are water dogs what a shame for that poor dog. Our boys looovvve swimming wherever and whenever they can!!!! :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby toucan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:20 pm

When we go camping with our group of friends we have one lady who whinges and complains about most things. As most of them are related (we aren't) it can get a bit difficult. Her relatives will say something to her but i often wonder if its my place to say something?

Are women the main whingers?
The men all get along with no one complaining and the kids all get along and dont complain about camping (but they do when i make them eat something healthy!!)
She is actually a lovely and fun woman to hang out with but whenever she is off on one of her tirades i just find a book and a nice spot in the shade and tune her out.
toucan
Camping King

Postby Lin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:26 pm

I suppose women are just generally more vocal.

This particular friend behaves like a real city dweller. Which I am too, but I don't behave like one when I'm camping! They rocked up with one chair for the 2 of them. So I had to chase her out of my chair several times and then got greeted with sighs and mutterings about a sore back. How hard can it be to find a second chair to bring?! I am willing to share most things, but keep your hands off my chair!

And they arrived with an almost empty petrol tank and were shocked when they found out there was no servo in Wee Jasper.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:29 pm

My sister is not really a whinger but she tends to take over, we`ll go here ,we`ll do this ,no we won`t eat that now....at my neices wedding she didn`t think the markee was decorated enough so went out and bought more lights and candles and stuff...how rude i couldn`t believe it..lucky for me she rarely goes camping as she likes her hair dryer and microwave. But yeah i couldn`t stand not taking people in the same frame of mind as me `i`d leave them at home.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby toucan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:34 pm

I know what you mean about your chair. My husband and i got new ones for Xmas which we just love.We stuck our backsides in so many before we decided on what ones to get.

Well 'the whinger' went shopping on day 3 and bought herself and hubby new chairs which she claimed were better and more comfortable than ours. We said 'to each their own' but i spent the next week constantly pushing her off my chair! :?
toucan
Camping King

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:37 pm

Glad to hear you are like me about your "chair" Lin. :armsup

The other couple we used to camp with always had enough chairs but their kids would ALWAYS be in our chairs and I have no problem at all hunting them, also to make it worse I have a little table on the side of mine and they would always spill stuff all over it and make it all sticky and horrible and it would usually end up all over the seat as well!!! Nearly did my head in!!! And the parents would say nothing!!!! ::()

The family we camp with now have the same policy as us and everyone has their own chair and you sit in yours and no-one elses!!!!!

Can't imagine camping and not taking a chair each????? :$ Where exactly did she expect to sit with her sore back then? on the ground????? :lol:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:40 pm

My 5yo daughter laughed when she saw only one chair and seemed to think it was very funny that he forgot his chair. He said that he would just sit on the ground. But after not even 10 minutes by the fire, he asked if he could use my esky to sit on. It was only because it was our last night there that I agreed to him putting my esky that close to the fire though!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:45 pm

OMG so I take it that he didn't have his own esky to sit on either Lin?????
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:55 pm

They were only there for one night, so I thought it was fair enough that they traveled very light. I didn't mind them putting stuff in my esky or using my stove to boil water.

I did mind them using my plates and then not washing them though...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:59 pm

Sorry Lin but they make me chuckle!!! :***

So what did they bring? A tent & one chair!!!! :?
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby toucan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:15 pm

Its a wonder they didn't want to bunk in with you in your tent!!

Theres a fine line between packing light and not packing anything!!
But still, glad you had a good time and can laugh it off.
toucan
Camping King

Postby Dettie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:01 pm

[quote="toucan"]Its a wonder they didn't want to bunk in with you in your tent!!quote]

:*** Yes... I also know too well, how much it can spoil a great trip when camping with difficult people. I usually just camp with my son and prefer it that way. I love setting my own pace and cooking up my own personal storm :)

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:42 am

My partner has been complaining that she would like to go camping with other people. Over easter we did just that with 2 families, They are like minded people and didn't cause any issues or complaints, Their kids and furry kids (dogs) were well behaved, it was funny watching the little ones getting very dirty playing in the mud and splashing in puddles (as they should be), while the "city kids" were ALWAYS in the car playing nintendo. I was fine with it but I think the hour wait for them to get ready and the constant stopping for wee wee breaks tested her patience.

If you would like some hassle free camping buddies, give us a yell :)

Yes it's 3:40am, and I'm talking about camping..... one would think I'm an addict but I have the flu and can't sleep
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby sienna » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:24 am

Oh the chair!!!! I SO know what you are talking about. Recently spent 5 days with my sister, her partner and his 2 kids camping over the easter holidays. My sister had travelled from WA so I knew I'd be supplying all the camping stuff. But is it too much to ask to stay out of my chair?! I bought it specifically for me cos it's comfy. So when I want to sit down, I want to sit in my chair. I kept getting eye rolls and the arhhh under the breath when I'd come looking to sit.
Surely it's not too much to ask that I sit in my chair, given that you are using all my other stuff (which I don't mind cos they cleaned up and did almost all the dishes etc).
It's the same at home. I have my comfy chair in the lounge and if you are sitting in it when I come in, expect to have to get up. In the end, noone really sat in my chair cos they knew they'd have to get up. :***

As for camping with other people, I have often gone with my cousin and her son. We bring our own food but often sit together to eat it. Sometimes we cook together depending on what we both have brought but generally we eat our own food. Over easter, the dinner meal was usually shared as there were so many to feed, it was easier to pool food.
And for breakfast, it's just put out all the cereals and everyone help themselves. We weren't always together at lunch so it was get your own. We all had a great time cos there was also two of my cousins and their kids there as well. Big family camp off it was.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat